SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2018, 04:39 AM   #1
youstolemybeer
youstolemybeer is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
Default cant sleep soooooo

So Im thinking about doing some hypermiling with the 2001 sw2.

As I see it, the hood/engine compartment appears to be a big parachute. The cooling air goes in, has to circulate around,over and under the engine to escape, causing a parachute effect.
Why not raise the rear windshield area of the hood 1/4 -1/2 an inch to let the air out and blow over the windshield where it would get picked up by the already moving air.
I realize that the car was designed by engineers that really know what they are doing, but they also have to make sacrifices in design to make a car appealing, whereas I dont care how the car looks.
any ideas/suggestions
Steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youstolemybeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youstolemybeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youstolemybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: cant sleep soooooo

I used to work in test (among other jobs) at Sikorsky Aircraft. In test there was a big sign on the wall that said "One test is worth 1000 expert opinions." But I would also say that if you test it, get good data. Change one thing at a time.

Now onto my opinions.
1) Letting that air out by the windshield will mess with the air trying to flow smoothly over the car. That will cause drag.
2) Not that much air goes underhood compared to around the car. There is a lot of restriction with the bodywork, radiator, condenser, and the rest of the junk.
3) Air will flow from high pressure to low pressure. The base of the windshield is high pressure.

Let us know how it works out! And get some sleep!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
1996SW2
1996SW2 is on a distinguished road

Is your car running hot? If it isn't why mess around with it. Your theory is correct depending in how the car was designed. We have run across a vehicle or two that is exactly as you described.

Basically a big, hot air pocket would just recirculate itself in the engine compartment with no way to escape. The result is the engine runs hot underway and even hotter at idle or slower speeds. With most vehicles there are way to compensate fir that, i.e. thermostat, fans, different radiator, etc. without making aesthetic adjustments.

My dad used to race an MGA and it was exactly as described above. The quick and dirty was raise the back of the hood. It did help. After he wrecked the car, during the rebuild process, I found someone who could louvre. It's one of those lost skills and even harder to do on aluminum. The best pattern would have been towards the back end of the hood. That would have looked like crap so we compromised for aesthetic purposes as you stated in your post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SW2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by youstolemybeer View Post
I realize that the car was designed by engineers that really know what they are doing, but they also have to make sacrifices in design to make a car appealing, whereas I dont care how the car looks.
One of the compromises that they have to make is "too much cooling" vs "not enough cooling" vs "speed of cooling"

Ideally - your engine should warm up quickly, then once it hits a good operating temp, stay there. So . . . adjustable louvers both for the intake and for allowing the air to be pulled out would be ideal. Can't imagine a setup like that would be cheap.

Too much airflow, your engine will not heat up quickly enough, costing mpg.
Not enough airflow, your engine will heat up quickly but not cool off quickly enough, overheating (pinging, loss of power from retarding, etc)

Reminds me of the bottom breathers - gf in the mid or late '80s had a V8 Trans Am (yeah, I know, Trans Am were all V8 ). The nose had no openings in the front - all the air was directed up from below/behind the fascia.

Worked great . . . until the air dam that directed the air up got torn off/lost.

Internet picture below - I don't recall the louvers but maybe they were standard?

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote