SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
Starion
Starion is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Draining Coolant - Where does it come out?

2004 Ion 2. The pic in the book is really poor.

Found the release grommet/valve to turn but it refers to a barb (nipple) to put a small hose on to keep it from draining all over the place.

*I simply CAN NOT have antifreeze all over the driveway (brick) or street even. The HOA would have an absolute fit.

I found what could maybe be a nipple inside what seems to be just the radiator bottom mount? Had to cut away the outside rubber to get to it. IF it's a barb (it's a poor one).

Other than that I can't find a barb or outlet anywhere and assume the book is wrong & the coolant just comes out messy at the base of the valve. PLEASE help me verify this.

*apparently I can't embed pics from my google drive on here. Boo. See attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coolant Drain.jpg (141.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Starion; 09-16-2018 at 11:50 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Starion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Starion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Starion is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Draining Coolant - Where does it come out?

Virtually every radiator has a petcock drain valve like the one you have at the bottom. No provisions are made to include a tube or other means to drain coolant. The same with draining oil. Place a catch can or anything under the oil drain or radiator drain to capture fluids.

Ions also have a drain plug under its water pump. If you drain radiator coolant, there may be residual fluid in the engine so drain and fill with either plain or distilled water, run the engine or drive around the block, drain again and refill with your favorite antifreeze and distilled or plain water.

Last edited by fdryer; 09-17-2018 at 09:37 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
......Ions also have a drain plug under its water pump. If you drain radiator coolant, there may be residual fluid in the engine so drain and fill with either plain or distilled water, run the engine or drive around the block, drain again and refill with your favorite antifreeze and distilled or plain water.
Excellent points, fdryer! In particular, the drain plug at the base of the water pump cover (it's not actually in the water pump itself - a minor point, I know). Residual antifreeze does remain at the water pump and in the tube connecting the water pump to the water inlet where the heater hoses connect to the engine. This is common to all 2.2L engines. Two items:

1) You'll need to use a funnel of some type to direct the drainage from the water pump. It will also require a length of hose (4 feet [no more than that]) that can slip over the end of the funnel to make sure the antifreeze gets directly into the drain pan below, otherwise there will be a mess...I know firsthand.
2) When reinstalling the water pump drain plug you'll need to use Teflon Thread Sealing Tape to assure a complete seal of it. I know that firsthand also.

Not quite related: my radiator drain cock does have a nipple on it. Once an adequate length of hose is attached to it then the antifreeze goes where it should, into the drain pan. I wish it was there on your radiator also...

293,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
Starion

Thanks guys. The book couldn't be less clear about the nipple being on the petcock (or not existing) such as mine.

Good point about clearing out the pump too. I planned on a few cycles with distilled water.

Sucks to pay the $80+, but it'll be easier to just have it done by my guy. I prefer to do simple jobs like this on my own, but can't risk the mess where I live, not having a nice garage to work in.

Also saw another post with links to buy an adapter socket for the petcock valve, since it's plastic and liable to break if stuck in there like mine is. Also good to replace it with metal plug.

Thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Starion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The petcock is always plastic with a soft rubber washer. Its actually a little difficult to loosen the petcock because of the thick rubber washer that seals for life against any leak from a worn seal. Petcocks are hand loosened and tightened without a lot of tightening needed. Once loosened, unscrewing the petcock is effortless and coolant draining is immediate when the coolant cap is off. Don't replace the petcock - unless your're absolutely sure a metal replacement is an exact fit, it may corrode almost immediately. Hot coolant might create a galvanic reaction to accelerate corrosion and the reason plastic petcocks are used exclusively without issues. As many are well aware of this saying, "don't fix what isn't broke".

A trick I found useful when not at home - any curb can be used as an impromptu ramp; drive up any curb with either the right side or left side wheels on the curb to lift that side, park and use the parking brake. Now you have one side of the car to crawl under to do whatever, Find a place that's doesn't have traffic like the back of shopping malls or industrial area on a weekend. Scout curbs that are mid to high with a driveway so mounting the curb like a ramp is easy to drive on and drive off. Draining coolant or oil into a catch pan is easy when some thought is given. Just because the HOA doesn't want car maintenance done on premises doesn't prevent you from scouting areas for a safe place to perform car maintenance. NYC residents call this 'ghetto' repairs but I don't see this as ghetto as much as using the imagination and what's available if a jack isn't absolutely necessary. Did I mention I replaced a starter in a Target parking lot when the starter failed? The starter was right behind the radiator with easy access without jacking up the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #6
Starion

^ Great reply. Good clarification that a normal plug would be wrong.

Yes, I've done my share of repairs all over the place, including the Saturn's starter in the Advance Auto parking lot. Also the Starion's clutch in a dentist's parking lot across from my apt in grad school. That was fun when it rained.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Then it shouldn't be difficult to find a place off the beaten path for weekend car maintenance when you remember your past. As a retired person, I was visiting my local Home Depot and before I left I decided to run my car up on a small curb near the back of the large parking lot that won't attract attention. I needed to check something under the right front, got up on a small curb, left the engine idling, grabbed a piece of old carpeting to lay down so my knees have something soft instead of loose gravel and checked whatever I needed to check. At my age, I shouldn't have to do this but when safely done and out of the way, it's not beneath me to do this when necessary. A few seconds of checking and carpet was thrown back into the trunk and I was on my way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!