SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
SaturnGirly
SaturnGirly is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default 2007 Manual Transmission Owners

Hello All ... new to this forum but have been lurking around for a while. Would love to connect with manual transmission owners to discuss; mileage, issues, pleasures etc.

I'm only 3 months into ownership and have decided I made the right choice. Too bad though that you can't get a V6 manual because that would have been my top choice.

I find my 4 cylinder is a honey though and quick to the helm when you need it to be. At 3,000 still waiting to for the engine to break and mileage get a little better than the first day, though I can get almost 500 kilometres (yes I'm Canadian) and I don't know if that's good or bad.

Anyways, let me know about your manual tran car.

Oh -- is there anywhere to get a 'manual transmission' decal for the back of the car which used to be standard on cars around 100 years ago. I live in the country with lots of hills and I'm tired of these people on my behind and not knowing that as good as I may be .... I am going to roll a inch or so ... hmmmm.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnGirly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnGirly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnGirly is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2007 Manual Transmission Owners

Try this. When I was first driving a stick (many moons ago) my girlfriend (now my wife) gave me a license plate frame that said "I Roll Back on Hills". We lived in northern NY and had plenty of hills and snow in the winter. Over the years I got real good at holding the hill with the clutch, but every onse and while, I would still stall it. My wife would at me and say drive much?

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Use the parking brake in conjunction with the foot brake, clutch and gas and you can tackle the steepest of hills without rolling.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
M7Mayberry
M7Mayberry is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Congratulations on your new Vue. Most of my vehicles have been manual transmission. I have had my Vue 4 months and have 2800 miles on it. Gas mileage is around 20 most of the time but I go too fast on the freeway. Plenty of "go" to merge into freeway traffic.

At 1200 miles, I changed the oil to Mobil 1. No issues, as yet. So far, it has been exactly what I bought it for.

"It's time for DODGER BASEBALL!" - Vin Scully

2007 Vue 5-speed manual
1999 Chevrolet S-10 5-speed manual (RIP 2011)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M7Mayberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M7Mayberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M7Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
SaturnGirly
SaturnGirly is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Manual Transmission Owners

Hi y'all ... thanks for welcoming me and my storm gray VUE to the forum!!

Have a few more questions to fire off:

1) how do you figure out how much you are getting to the mile/km? I know that I can get close to 500km on a tank with village and highway at round 120km or 70/75miles per hour, but don't know how that computes.

2) As well, because the several dealers said this was the last of it's kind in Canada and because it didn't have the interior aluminium trim through I was wanting to get an OEM to put over certain areas. Does anyone know how good or not these might be?

I'm loading up with questions - hehehe.

3) Is it bad to double clutch out of 2nd when you've slowed to a stop? and ... is it bad to go from 1st to 3rd. I've done it on older cars but someone told me that you can't do it with modern tranny's. Is this so?

I'm off for my first service soon ... any advice on what I should have them look at. I know that the lense on my radio sucks ... if the light comes in anywhere than from the very in front of you ... all the lcd's light up and you can't see the time or what channel you're on etc... but worst of all, it's a terrible distraction out of the corner of your eye. The replaced it right away but the one they brought was just as bad and they said they'd do some quality checking before replacing it once and for all but I've never heard back. Anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks,
Andrea aka SaturnGirly

Last edited by SaturnGirly; 07-24-2007 at 08:44 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnGirly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnGirly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnGirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
James Gerber
James Gerber is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Lol... actually, I encountered that tonight. I came to a stop at a pretty steep incline behind my brothers vehicle. Normally, I'm pretty confident if I'm at the front of the pack 'cause I'll just give'r. But if I'm behind a vehicle I'm a little more hesitant. (Tom mentioned the parking brake method, which I have heard of but am still don't have much experience with yet).
So I saw a car approaching, and I rolled back a bit as they came closer... kind of like a "you might want to watch it" sort of thing.

Although not a lot of drivers do it... they really 'are' supposed to leave more space between them and you, than they do. (this includes driving on highways : )

However.. that being said, sometimes even with automatics, if the hill is crazy enough, the vehicle just might roll back.

re: Skipping 2nd.
I too was wondering about that... the past couple of days I've been experimenting with "starts from stop, on flat terrain" with reving the 1st up into the high 5000's then putting it into 3rd. Only to prevent the lag/pulling action that happens when "not" riding the clutch into 2nd.
I didn't have this problem as much with my old Sl1, but for some reason am experiencing it more with the VUE. (and pretty much any of the newer cars I test drove before it)

-- edit --
SaturnGirly
Personally, I like the "fill up your tank to full, reset your trip, then drive for a while, then when you 'refill to full' find out how many kms you drove, and how many litres it took to fill' ... then you go to an online "kilometer-to-mile" converter sight thingy, and a "litre-us gallon" conversion thingy to figure out your mpg's. I seem to average 23-27 with my '03)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to James Gerber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help James Gerber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
James Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

The hand "parking" brake method:
When on a steep hill, engage the parking brake but keep your finger on the release button, and rev up the motor and release the clutch like normal. As the clutch engages, release the parking brake. Voila! No roll back.

I skip gears all the time. Although I usually go 1-2-3-5, but it depends on what speed I'm accelerating up to. I too am not sure why they say not to skip gears- I think it's more for downshifting. As long as you keep the engine below redline, you're fine. I guess if you maxxed out 1st gear and went straight to 5th, whatever speed 1st maxxes out at might be too slow for 5th gear to be effective and will bog the engine down. But mechanically, I see no reason why you can't skip gears in the transmission.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
M7Mayberry

2007 VUE 2.2L

SaturnGirly, you say you have the 3.5L and a manual transmission? Should we presume it's really the 2.2? Skipping gears when you upshift is no problem. As others have mentioned, you will go very slowly until the RPM pick up. I often skip 4th gear when city driving to save gas. If you downshift, you should not skip gears unless you are familiar enough with the engine so that you don't over-rev it.

2007 Vue 5-speed manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help M7Mayberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #9
L200INRI
L200INRI is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Hey and Welcome to the forum -

I have a 2007 Storm Grey 5 speed Vue too... Purchased it in November of 2006 and love it -- Already have 23k on it. Other than hell for the 1st month or two until they figured out why the gas pedal kept not working (The pcm went nuts) -- I love it and have had no problems whatsoever.

I have a roughly 60 mile each way work commute and average around 30 mpg regularly.

Let me know if you have any additional questions... I'd be more than happy to help!

Bill

Bill in Rhode Island
--------------------------------
2007 Saturn Vue FWD 4 -5-Speed
2007 Jeep Wrangler X - 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L200INRI's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L200INRI reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L200INRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:45 AM   #10
mangler66
mangler66 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Hey saturnGirl,

Change your profile to say 2.2L before you get more flack

I get around 550km a tank in what I consider ideal conditions for the Vue (average speed about 70km/h, 12 km commute). You will find it just blows on the highway (engine revs too fast, at 120km/h I get about 10l/100km. Yes, worse than in my city commute...)

My wheels are certainly not helping too much on the mileage, though I can't wait to see what lowering it 1.5" will do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mangler66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mangler66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mangler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:00 AM   #11
My own VUE
My own VUE is on a distinguished road

First of all, why would you want to skip gears...why buy a standard?? I like the shifting....personal opinion.

Yes, 550KMs per tank is about all you`ll get. It actually works out to about 26mpg give or take. I`ve never done 30mpg, but I`m also not a delicate driver. I thought it was the Canadian gas so I stopped using the methane gas produced by all the cattle up here...ok, that wasn`t funny I know (back to my Igloo I go).

The roll back on hills is partly due to that awful hestitation that the 5 speed manual seems to have: takes an extra split second for the engine to rev and allow you to 'catch' the clutch!

For your mileage calculations, here's a link...just insert your numbers.

Ian

http://www.878help.com/mpg.htm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to My own VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help My own VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
My own VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #12
the_webers_inc
the_webers_inc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by My own VUE View Post
First of all, why would you want to skip gears...why buy a standard?? I like the shifting....personal opinion.
I like shifting too. But skipping gears WHEN I want to is WHY I have a manual transmission equipped vehicle. Like Tom92SCm, if I skip a gear, it is usually 4th. When conditions permit, 1st is even occasionally left out.

A little poke of fun ~ Just because Semi Trucks have up to 18 gears doesn't mean truck drivers use them all, all of the time .

T. J.

2000 Saturn SL2 1.9L 5spd - Sold
2003 Saturn VUE 2.2L 5spd - Sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_webers_inc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_webers_inc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
the_webers_inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #13
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by My own VUE View Post
The roll back on hills is partly due to that awful hestitation that the 5 speed manual seems to have: takes an extra split second for the engine to rev and allow you to 'catch' the clutch!
Every vue has a throttle hesitation, its called drive by wire.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #14
ryanB3
ryanB3 is on a distinguished road

Holding your position at a hill with the clutch is most definitely a "bad thing" (tm). Especially at a red light, and I wouldn't even think about doing it between two cars. The idea of "make starting easier by not really stopping" will probably ruin your new clutch very quickly.

If you can't do an up hill start without rolling back, the parking brake is your friend.

Even so, I find that after driving my stick Vue for about a month (first manual trans vehicle) I can start on quite a steep hill with hardly any noticeable roll back. There's a rather steep drive (around 35 - 40 degree grade) near me that's unused so I took my Vue there and stopped on it, and the first time I both rolled back several feet and stalled it :-P

The next few times I gave it way too much gas and peeled out but didn't roll back.

After a few more tries I was able to orchestrate it wonderfully. If you can do this where you live, try it. Night is best, less traffic.

Also keep in mind that if you just got your brand new Vue and it's your first manual trans car, the clutch will be kind of "sticky" making it trickier to take off smoothly. Once you wear it in you'll probably find it much easier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ryanB3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ryanB3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ryanB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:41 PM   #15
ryanB3
ryanB3 is on a distinguished road

Default Skipping gears

One more comment regarding skipping gears.

You have three pieces here: engine, flywheel, drivetrain (the way I understand it)

The flywheel connects to the engine with the clutch and to the drivetrain with the gears. You press the clutch in and then shift to neutral, and now your drivetrain, flywheel and engine are all spinning at different speeds.

There are brass rings on the flywheel and gears that synchronize the flywheel back with whatever gear you put it into (The flywheel has a shaft with gears that lock in place when you shift into gear, and the flywheel is turning the same speed as the engine when the clutch is all the way out.) When you skip gears you put extra strain on these small brass rings that have the job of matching a rapidly spinning ~14 pound flywheel to how ever fast your wheels are spinning whatever gear you're trying to go into. Ever feel resistance changing gears? It's because your synchronizers aren't letting you shift yet because the flywheel isn't matched with the speed of the gear you're trying to go into. (Don't force it! "Power shifting," throwing the thing into gear as fast as you possibly can, also stresses the synchros) That's why you can't easily downshift to first (and it's a terrible idea because of how much strain it puts on those synchros.)

So if you're skipping gears, just go THROUGH the gears your skipping with the clutch down. You'll do the same thing, and make your syncrhonizers' life easier. You don't want to drive a manual with bad synchros later. Bad synchros let gears grind. Worse synchros make you have to learn how to double clutch.

So try to make everything with the clutch, gas pedal, and shifter fluid, gentle, and swift, but avoid jerking things around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ryanB3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ryanB3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ryanB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:11 AM   #16
M7Mayberry

2007 VUE 2.2L

There is nothing odd or unusual about skipping gears. That is one of the reasons synchronized transmissions were developed in the first place. My grandfather used to drive cars with 3-speed manual transmissions, with the shifter on the steering column. He always shifted from 1st to 3rd and never had a transmission problem.

A few years ago, every Corvette, Camaro and Firebird V8 with a manual transmission had a 2nd gear lockout. If you drove normally, the transmission skipped 2nd. More spirited driving allowed the use of 2nd gear. Most drivers, when approaching a turn, will brake, downshift from 5th to 3rd, push in the clutch as you make the turn, then let out the clutch and power out of the turn in 2nd.

When driving on the freeway, in 5th gear, traffic will slow suddenly and then speed up again. This usually requires a 5th to 3rd downshift. I have been doing these things for years with no problems, except for the Corvette thing. I have yet to own one. My S-10 pickup has 99,600 miles on it.

2007 Vue 5-speed manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!