SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2006, 08:37 AM   #1
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn Outlook price comparisons

I entered pricing data for the Saturn Outlook (and GMC Acadia as well) last night. It starts out about even with a Ford Freestyle, but the more you load the two up the wider the gap gets in the Ford's favor, ending up around $3,600 after adjusting for features, and $5,000 before doing so. This is before figuring that the Saturn will sell near MSRP while the Ford will sell near invoice minus a (currently) $1,000 rebate. Figure those two things in, and the table tilts another $4,000 in the Ford's favor. In other words, a transaction price difference of about $9,000 before adjusting for feature differences when comparing a loaded Ford to a loaded Saturn.

In contrast to the Aura vs. G6, the Outlook is priced only about $1,000 lower than the Acadia when the two are similarly equipped. As a result, the tranaction prices for the GMC will be much lower unless these sell so strongly that dealers sell them for well over invoice. Load them both up, and the GMC's invoice is about $2,700 below the Saturn's MSRP.

So I think Saturn might have a tough time with this one, if only because the GMC is also available.

Page for the Outlook, with specs and eventually links to the most popular price comparisons:

http://www.truedelta.com/models/Outlook.php

A brief word on the specs: the interior dimensions are smaller than I'd expect them to be given the exterior dimensions. The Ford Freestyle offers considerably more total legroom despite being smaller on the outside. The main advantages of the Lambdas are much better third-row shoulder and hip room--hence the three-spot bench back there--and cargo volume. Which are some good advantages to have.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
robertburns3
robertburns3 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Saturn Outlook price comparisons

You think people will really cross shop the Freestyle Vs. the Outlook? I would think that the Honda Pilot, Chrysler Pacifica and some body on frame SUV's will more likely be its direct competitors.

If you could compare the Honda and the Outlook, I think folks here would appreciate it.

Former Saturn salesperson...love the cars, hated the boss.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robertburns3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robertburns3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robertburns3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:32 AM   #3
mkaresh
Advanced Member

Folks can use the site to compare the Outlook with any other vehicle in the database (currently about 175 2006 models and 140 2007 models).

I chose the Freestyle because it's the vehicle I'd personally cross-shop. The Honda has a much less useful third row and a taller stance than the Ford or Saturn.

I am interested in seeing which vehicles the Outlook is compared to. Each model page shows the six most common comparisons. They don't always make sense, but that's not my fault

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
D C
D C is on a distinguished road

After driving a Freestyle, I feel sorry for anyone who would actually buy one over the Outlook.

And that comparison site sure missed a lot of info on the Outlook. Among other things, it dinged it for not having side airbags when it actually does.

For the size and performance, the Outlook is a great vehicle for the price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help D C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:47 AM   #5
mkaresh
Advanced Member

Are you referring to my site? If so, where do I ding the Outlook for not having side airbags? The database includes both front side airbags and three-row side curtains.

Perhaps you misunderstood the feature comparison table. It only lists features that aren't on all of the vehicles listed. If both vehicles have side airbags, they won't be shown.

You've driven the Ford. Have you also driven the Outlook? I'm not crazy about how the Ford drives, but love the versatility of the interior and that it doesn't feel huge from behind the wheel. I suspect the Outlook will feel much larger. And as far as I can tell its front passenger seat does not fold like the Ford's does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
SKYGUY10066
SKYGUY10066 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh
Are you referring to my site? If so, where do I ding the Outlook for not having side airbags? The database includes both front side airbags and three-row side curtains.

Perhaps you misunderstood the feature comparison table. It only lists features that aren't on all of the vehicles listed. If both vehicles have side airbags, they won't be shown.

You've driven the Ford. Have you also driven the Outlook? I'm not crazy about how the Ford drives, but love the versatility of the interior and that it doesn't feel huge from behind the wheel. I suspect the Outlook will feel much larger. And as far as I can tell its front passenger seat does not fold like the Ford's does.
I have driven both and I can only say the Outlook is leaps and bounds over the Freestyle in terms of looks and refinement. The Outlook does drive more like a SUV and the Freestyle more like a car in my opinion. But again having driven both the Outlook wins, hands down. And that is also from the mouth of a good friend that is a Ford engineer!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SKYGUY10066's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SKYGUY10066 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SKYGUY10066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
mkaresh
Advanced Member

I was behind an Acadia earlier today, and badly want to drive one myself. Anyone out there able to get me a few minutes of time in the seat?

I think there's a chance that with the Lambdas GM is signalling that it finally has its stuff together. Great road presence, many obvious strengths, no obvious weaknesses. The only possible weakness I can think of is that the low-end of the 3.6 might not be strong enough for everyone, even with the six-speed auto. But GM has a 5.3 in the wings for those people.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2006, 04:01 PM   #8
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh
I was behind an Acadia earlier today, and badly want to drive one myself. Anyone out there able to get me a few minutes of time in the seat?

I think there's a chance that with the Lambdas GM is signalling that it finally has its stuff together. Great road presence, many obvious strengths, no obvious weaknesses. The only possible weakness I can think of is that the low-end of the 3.6 might not be strong enough for everyone, even with the six-speed auto. But GM has a 5.3 in the wings for those people.
In other applications I've heard the 3.6 is fairly powerful throughout, the main shortcoming being torque steer in FWD applications like the Aura. I don't know how differently it's tuned here, though.
I've heard it's a new type of Northstar for the V8 option...unless you mean it'll be 5.3L

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:45 PM   #9
mkaresh
Advanced Member

The rumor I saw most recently is the 5.3, but I've also seen the rumor for a new DOHC V8. Time will tell. Developing a DoD transverse 5.3 just for the low volume Impala SS and Grand Prix GXP doesn't seem to be good business sense.

The 3.6 is pulling a lot more weight in this application than in others. The Outlook starts at 4,700 pounds, about 500 more than the Cadillac SRX.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!