SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
Ethman
Ethman is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
Default Serious misfire issues please help!!!!

My car has a misfire problem, it sputtered before I changed my intake manifold gasket but it never quit on me, it stopped constantly sputtering and now falls on its face when its idling, warm or cold. I think it has something to do with the electrical but im not sure. I don't know whats wrong with it, any advice would be a lifesaver please and thankyou

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ethman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ethman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ethman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Serious misfire issues please help!!!!

Do you have an SES light?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
bigj860
bigj860 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

does your check engine flash?

Saturns all day!!
1999 saturn SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigj860's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigj860 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigj860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Ethman

2001 SL

Yes, it was on ever since I got it from my dad, I changed the intake manifold gasket last night and the light went away, I took it for a test drive and it sputtered less than it did before the gasket change. It would idle and then the rpms would drop slightly with one putt or hollow thud... I drove to work today, and on my 100 km drive back, the light came bsck on and it started running rough at 90 again. I also noticed a white sludge coming out of the hose that connects the airbox to the valve cover. It has 397056 km on it but those are all highway miles and my dad was good with the maintenance, other than the check engine soon light lol. I put new plugs and wires in last september and a k&n air filter in last week

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ethman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Ethman

2001 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj860 View Post
does your check engine flash?
No the check engine light doesn't flash, the SES light stays on though. if it flashed it would be bad I'm guessing?

Last edited by Ethman; 03-25-2013 at 08:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Ethman

2001 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Do you have an SES light?
Sorry! I meant to say the SES light instead of check engine, I guess that's what I get for working on the car all night

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
bigj860

1999 SC2

yea, iif it does it means you have a Catalyst Damaging Misfire, if it flashes slow your okay but still want to figure it our ASAP but if it flashes really fast you gotta shut your car off cause it will do alot of damage to your Cat but since it doesnt you dont have a Catalyst Damaging Misfire, but ummmmm have you checked you EICM? and with the sludge coming from the air breather hose, you might want to check your PCV

Saturns all day!!
1999 saturn SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bigj860 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Ethman

2001 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj860 View Post
yea, iif it does it means you have a Catalyst Damaging Misfire, if it flashes slow your okay but still want to figure it our ASAP but if it flashes really fast you gotta shut your car off cause it will do alot of damage to your Cat but since it doesnt you dont have a Catalyst Damaging Misfire, but ummmmm have you checked you EICM? and with the sludge coming from the air breather hose, you might want to check your PCV
I haven't checked the EICM, do you know where would it be located? or what it looks like? I will check my PCV, are there any O-rings or gaskets I need to worry about? and that's good to know! I will stop driving if that light flashes at me!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

PCV is just a rattle valve. Take it off and flush it out with brake cleaner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

What type of plugs are you using? How old are they?

Check the plug wire routing.

Ignition wire routing as seen when looking at the engine and coils from the front, hood open, your left to right.

Engine
1-2-3-4

4-1-2-3
coil towers

Connect the matching numbers with a plug wire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
bigj860

1999 SC2

If you have the LLO or the DOHC theres only a groumment and no o-rings, but i cant remember on the SOHC, and the EICM is located right under the coils, just pop the coils off and the EICM is right there, but yea when you take the PCV, just shake it, if it rattles, its good,

Saturns all day!!
1999 saturn SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You are not going to see anything by playing with the coils and ICM at this stage of locating your problem. The only definitive way to test them is to replace them. Aftermarket is not recommended.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Remove the coolant sensor; if its the original round nosed plastic one, replace it immediately with a brass one. The originals failed and caused rich running as well as flooding conditions. Yours may be cracked. And if the temperature gauge needle hovers over the 1/4 mark, replace the old thermostat with a new 195F/90C one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
Ethman

2001 SL
Wrench Re: Serious misfire issues please help!!!!

Sorry it's been so long, it's been crazy busy and I haven't had much time to do much but here is what I have done:

Intake manifold gasket Replaced-
it had that wrinkle it it. runs much better now!

Wires and Plugs-
Had champions in it, replaced with copper core NGK plugs and wires which has improved the idle and how it runs

Seafoam-
I also seafoamed the car to clean it (before new plugs and wires). It seems to have more power, and it didn't have black liquid coming out of the exhaust in drops. after 200 km the exhaust has drops coming out of it again.

What needs to be dealt with-
Still sputters a bit. not nearly as bad as before but it still sputters a bit. It also idles at around 900-1000 RPM so that seems to be better. Maybe its a dirty injector?

Shakes like hell after about 95 kmph, it honestly feels like the front Passenger wheel is going to fly off! Im pretty sure its either a sway bar or a U-Joint.

Im going to replace the IAC valve, ECTS, EGR Valve and the PCV valve along with the hoses connecting it.

I have been looking at the other forums for similar problems and saw that the exhaust could also be a cause, I'm thinking it could be a clogged catylatic converter but i'm not sure. I noticed that It sounds better after I seafoamed it and it's louder too, almost like something was clogged and some of that clog has been opened up.

Thankyou for all the help, you guys are the best!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethman View Post
What needs to be dealt with-
Shakes like hell after about 95 kmph, it honestly feels like the front Passenger wheel is going to fly off! Im pretty sure its either a sway bar or a U-Joint.
)
Not going to be a sway bar and Saturns dont have U-joints. Your tires are in need of being balanced, or the tires are starting to separate and will fall apart.

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
Ethman

2001 SL
Question Re: Serious misfire issues please help!!!!

It's not the tires, before I stored my all seasons for the winter I cleaned them up with the pressure washer and had them balanced, and I don't see any indication of them separating. I meant to put bearing, but do you think it could be something to do with the trans axle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #17
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethman View Post
It's not the tires, before I stored my all seasons for the winter I cleaned them up with the pressure washer and had them balanced, and I don't see any indication of them separating. I meant to put bearing, but do you think it could be something to do with the trans axle?
So, is this the first time you are using those tires since them being rebalanced? If so, they were prob done wrong. Also, you cant always see visual signs of a tire separating. How old are the tires?

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #18
Ethman

2001 SL
Checkered Flag Re: Serious misfire issues please help!!!!

The tires were used last summer, bought at the end of the summer before that when my dad got tired of the 15" rims that made it ride rough and lose it's balls, he got the 14" rims that are the proper size for it along with new tires. so that makes them three years or so old. If I get new tires I'm getting some nice rims too, what brand of tire would you recommend? these tires are firestone all seasons

REWARD EXCELLENCE!