SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
NewCarNewbie
NewCarNewbie is on a distinguished road

Default What's the buying process really like?

I understand buying a Saturn is easy, you go to the website and build a car and then print out the options you want.

So what really happens when you show up on the Saturn lot? Are all the vehicles loaded with pinstrips, VIN window etching, paint protectant and other way overpriced dealer add-ons? Can you really get the Saturn you want and the color you want? Or does the dealer gently guide you to the stuff on their lot?

We live in the Seattle area and it appears 4 Saturn dealers in the metro area are owned by the same person/company. Could you expect the famous Saturn fixed price to the be the same at each of dealers? There is another dealer about 40 miles away that I'd consider driving to if I thought I could save a few hundred dollars.

We've been married 13 years and have always bought 3-5 year old cars (we're a little averse to paying a lot for depreciation). My wife actually enjoys haggling with the used car salesman and wears them down to the last $50 difference in price.

This process has served us well until...... my wife was bitten by the Outlook bug. She has been obsessively reading everything and scrutinizing every picture of the Outlook. To be fair, my wife is quite thrifty and has never desired a new car - until this Outlook.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NewCarNewbie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NewCarNewbie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NewCarNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
robertburns3
robertburns3 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: What's the buying process really like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCarNewbie
I understand buying a Saturn is easy, you go to the website and build a car and then print out the options you want.

So what really happens when you show up on the Saturn lot? Are all the vehicles loaded with pinstrips, VIN window etching, paint protectant and other way overpriced dealer add-ons? Can you really get the Saturn you want and the color you want? Or does the dealer gently guide you to the stuff on their lot?

We live in the Seattle area and it appears 4 Saturn dealers in the metro area are owned by the same person/company. Could you expect the famous Saturn fixed price to the be the same at each of dealers? There is another dealer about 40 miles away that I'd consider driving to if I thought I could save a few hundred dollars.

We've been married 13 years and have always bought 3-5 year old cars (we're a little averse to paying a lot for depreciation). My wife actually enjoys haggling with the used car salesman and wears them down to the last $50 difference in price.

This process has served us well until...... my wife was bitten by the Outlook bug. She has been obsessively reading everything and scrutinizing every picture of the Outlook. To be fair, my wife is quite thrifty and has never desired a new car - until this Outlook.

Thanks!
If they are truly following the Saturn buying experience, the price on the sticker, is REALLY the price. That price should be considered a post-haggle price, so if you want to compare apples to apples, haggle other brands first. In theory, there is less padding in the sticker price because they don’t plan on haggling down.

I have heard of Saturn dealer add-on accessories and options to increase profits, but have not found that to be the case around my neck of the woods.

The Saturn buying experience should allow you to get exactly what you want on the car (within the silly option packages) without paying more. They (or any other brand) should not be afraid to special order anything you want.

When you come into the dealership, often the salesperson will ask you some open ended questions about your needs in order to fit you to a car that is what you will want, without overselling you. This is unless you cut them off and tell them you already know exactly what you want, so you don’t need help choosing.

If they do not help you get exactly what you want, go to another Saturn retailer. I think the Saturn buying experience is still the norm.

Former Saturn salesperson...love the cars, hated the boss.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robertburns3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robertburns3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robertburns3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Blackwidow
Blackwidow is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What's the buying process really like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCarNewbie

Thanks!

Tell your wife welcome to the club. I am currently buggin' the crap out my Saturn Dealer regarding the Saturn Outlook. I think they hate to see me comin'. But I do know how she feels. I am TOTALLY OBSESSED with the Saturn Outlook. And I will be the first to drive off the lot with it here in Dayton, OH.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blackwidow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blackwidow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote