SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
Needhelpaura08
Needhelpaura08 is on a distinguished road

Default 08 Saturn aura

My battery was put in backwards as a result I keep getting service esc on my dash. I've changes the alternator, and battery. It seems somehow my battery keeps draining at which point the service esc message pops up. The car starts hesitating and is undriveable. When the battery was put in backwards there was a small puff of smoke. Is it possible a wire melted that's causing the issue? Any input is appreciated! I'm at a loss. Also there are no visibly blown fuses..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Needhelpaura08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Needhelpaura08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Needhelpaura08 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2017, 12:05 AM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 08 Saturn aura

Welcome to SaturnFans, Needhelpaura08ue!

In answer to your question, yes, this may have occurred. And, yes, if the electrical power loss is great enough then driveability problems, like what you've described above, can be expected. How capable are you as a DIYer to do some basic electrical testing?
1) Be sure that the battery is good. All testing of the electrical system presumes a good battery.
2) Test the charging system: 13.5 to 14.5 volts read at the battery when the engine is on is normal. If voltage is outside of that range then the alternator must be replaced.
3) There are plenty of web sites and videos to be found which can explain and demonstrate how to test for an electrical short. This will cause a power drain on a car battery if present.

280,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote