SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2017, 01:14 AM   #1
marsjupiter
marsjupiter has a spectacular aura aboutmarsjupiter has a spectacular aura aboutmarsjupiter has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1
Default best way to sell a saturn that needs a lot of repairs (2001 SL1)

To jump to the end - is there anything I can do with my 2001 SL1 besides junking it, which seems a shame as the engine and much of the car is in great mechanical shape? My Saturn is my first car and I put 100k miles on it (up to 170k now) but I feel like its ready to retire since the required repair (transmission) is more than any value I could get by selling it. The transmission slips, AC leaks, power locks have a mechanical problem, tons of cosmetic issues like the interior ceiling cloth drooping, burns a little oil, front suspension is funny. Sad to get rid of a friend, but this recent transmission failures seems like a $2k repair if I get the shop to do it though it might be as low as $500 if I could do it myself. I've done so many repairs myself over the years including suspension repair, radiator pump replacement, etc., but I think this transmission repair is beyond me since I don't have a garage to work in. Any advice appreciated since selling a car is new to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marsjupiter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marsjupiter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marsjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
S4turn
S4turn is on a distinguished road

Default Re: best way to sell a saturn that needs a lot of repairs (2001 SL1)

Transmission problem is usually a pain in the butt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S4turn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S4turn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S4turn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:49 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Go to https://www.kbb.com/ and use the website to get an idea of what a price might be like for a car considered to be in "fair" condition. Based on what you've described here your car is not in fair condition at all. Any time a powertrain component is going bad the car cannot be in even fair condition even if all else is in great shape. FWIW, I would place your cars' value at $400.00 or less in its current condition. If you could get $400 for it I think you'd be doing well. Only someone who desperately needs your car as it is will pay more, but that's a very, very long shot at best.

As for a DIY transmission repair, there are precious few of us who understand them well enough to get into the guts of one and make the necessary repairs to correct a slipping problem. BTW, you stated that you might be able to do the repair yourself for $500.00 (perhaps - my word, not yours). How did you arrive at this figure? Do you know precisely must be done to correct this problem with the transmission?

I believe that the money needed to bring this car back to a decent appearance on the interior, in addition to the transmission repair and other necessary repairs under the hood, is far more than the car is worth (unfortunately). Your car and mine are constantly depreciating and will see no end to the decline until another eight to ten years have past if we're lucky! If you choose to do the needed repairs then plan to drive it until it can no longer be driven. Every dollar spent to repair and refresh this car is perhaps a double loss because of the expenditure and only a minor improvement in the car's over all resale value. On the positive side, your auto insurance will remain inexpensive.

Whatever you decide to do, consider all things very carefully.

290,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsjupiter View Post
To jump to the end - is there anything I can do with my 2001 SL1 besides junking it, which seems a shame as the engine and much of the car is in great mechanical shape? My Saturn is my first car and I put 100k miles on it (up to 170k now) but I feel like its ready to retire since the required repair (transmission) is more than any value I could get by selling it. The transmission slips, AC leaks, power locks have a mechanical problem, tons of cosmetic issues like the interior ceiling cloth drooping, burns a little oil, front suspension is funny. Sad to get rid of a friend, but this recent transmission failures seems like a $2k repair if I get the shop to do it though it might be as low as $500 if I could do it myself. I've done so many repairs myself over the years including suspension repair, radiator pump replacement, etc., but I think this transmission repair is beyond me since I don't have a garage to work in. Any advice appreciated since selling a car is new to me.
Woah... slow down there. The "issues" you are describing; could be very simple fixes- WITHOUT you scrapping the car or even selling. 170K miles is very low on these cars (look at the mileage on my cars in my signature)

These cars are VERY easy to work on.

Who is telling you that the Transmission needs to be replaced? If it is an automatic- there is a Transmission Solenoid that is a very easy piece to replace that is right on the top of the Transmission itself. Is the car throwing any codes? Have you had any codes read? Transmission Solenoids are not that expensive- and it is basically an "electronic plate" that everything plugs into on the top of the Transmission, and it is easily accessible. You could even buy a used one from a Pick and Pull Yard that may fix the issue that you are having.

The Power Locks not functioning... what is going on with them?

Headliner- easy weekend project- for less then $75.00

Front suspension? What is the condition of your tires? Tie Rods on these cars are dirt cheap.

All Saturns burn Oil.

Can you describe a bit more in detail what is going on with these?

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote