SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
Buefordtjustice
Buefordtjustice is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default 98 sc2 harness meltdown

My harness melted and as soon as I connected to batt. There are 4 black wires that have square connection tabs. Two are for the body ground with larger hole in the tabs the other two coming from the firewall side of the harness have small holes in the tabs these connect to the red power wire coming from positive side of batt to the fuse box right???? If not then I am at fault and yall can snicker at me. Right now I am confused and not sure where the wire should have gone, some one tell me the deal please.

history
Sun roof leaked while on deployment to afghanistan. I pulled all the interior carpet seats as I had two inches of water standing in floorpan. Had cig lighter fuse bad dead battery replaced and cleeaned all that mess and started the car to find other issues.
Speedo quit working but gas and tach registered fine. service light was on Car was stuttering while driving and rough idle car would stall when stopping or putting into gear. It was getting bad gas mileage. Scanned pcm and replaced map sensor. No fault codes on obd2 scan replaced vss just to make sure had 5 volts on 2pin connector and uhjb was getting all the right power. The car ran better but could no longer get codes from scanner "err" all that displayed.

I pulled air cleaner, rats filled it full of acorns, pulled Battery to clean air filter, ects, grounds, tower pak. Put all together the same way (I think) and melted my harness. The wife will love this Christmass suprise

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Buefordtjustice's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Buefordtjustice reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Buefordtjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: 98 sc2 harness meltdown

picture's would help us out ALOT.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buefordtjustice View Post
There are 4 black wires that have square connection tabs. Two are for the body ground with larger hole in the tabs the other two coming from the firewall side of the harness have small holes in the tabs these connect to the red power wire coming from positive side of batt to the fuse box right????
What did you just say? That doesnt make sense. As for the red power wire, nothing should be connected to it. It should only be connected to the battery, fuse box and starter.

You might have to provide us with some pictures.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Buefordtjustice

1998 SC2

Here we go the wires were connected to the pos lead from batt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIRE MESS.jpg (89.2 KB, 34 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Buefordtjustice reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Spaz
Advanced Member
Spaz will become famous soon enoughSpaz will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2

I just looked at my 98 SL2. Looks like the wires you connected to the pos. cable are ground wires. On my SL2, there's wires that look like that bolted on top of the frame rail, where the shock tower meets the rail. I would have taken a pic of it but my aftermarket alarm is blocking it.

Last edited by Spaz; 12-09-2009 at 10:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
Spaz
Advanced Member
Spaz will become famous soon enoughSpaz will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2

Maybe this will help you out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChassisGround.jpg (129.4 KB, 18 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
Here we go the wires were connected to the pos lead from batt.
my car had those 2 leads connected to that terminal, but the previous owner cut them off the terminal rather that just loosening the nut and taking the ringer terminals off.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
Buefordtjustice

1998 SC2

ok this makes me feel so much better (not) it was all my fault. Those were grounds to the lower chasis as depicted in the diagram.

That said now what? Will the whole harness need replaced ? What needs done now? My dad will have a good laugh over this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
ok this makes me feel so much better (not) it was all my fault. Those were grounds to the lower chasis as depicted in the diagram.

That said now what? Will the whole harness need replaced ? What needs done now? My dad will have a good laugh over this.
Thats a tough harness to replace. If you're lucky. Very lucky. You might of only fried those grounds a few inches back. Open that wire loom and see what else it burnt up.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
Buefordtjustice

1998 SC2

replaced the wiring harness and ecu/pcm. Turn key to start and all power is working but no crank. So with a salvage pcm in no crank what am I missing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
replaced the wiring harness and ecu/pcm. Turn key to start and all power is working but no crank. So with a salvage pcm in no crank what am I missing?
Check all your fuses. Underhood and interior. And make sure you plugged everything in. Could be one in a hundred different things.

Plus, why did you swap the PCM? And since you did, hope you got one thats the correct year with the correct preprogramed options active.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #12
Buefordtjustice

1998 SC2

I just posted the cause while you were reading this post, lol.
I replaced the PCM with one that had all the same number on the decal same year of vehicle trans and engine. The pcm quit communication with my scanner and with some prior water damage from leaking sunroof I thought might be it. And since I was able to read codes before and all then after the car died nothing at all. I checked every fuse I can fine they are all fine. I tried swaping the big relays around with like kind and no change.
I thought if the pcm was bad worse case is if replaced I could limp it to dealer to program.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!