SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
punjabi
punjabi is on a distinguished road

Default Engine Block Heater Scam

I ordered the Engine Block heater option with my new Saturn Outlook 2008 XR. This option was $75.00. Now the dealer just called me back that this does not include the cord with it. The cord cost additional $90.00. No where does saturn indicate that you need to buy the cord seperate or there would be additional cost for cord. This not the cord that goes from the vehicle to your wall socket. This is the cord from Block heater to the front of your hood. So why is Saturn selling a Block heater without Cord?

Does anyone else have run into similar issues?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to punjabi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help punjabi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
punjabi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Engine Block Heater Scam

Wtf??

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Depending on where you are, IE in a part of North America that needs the regular use of a block heater, the engine will come factory installed with a block heater and cord. At least this is the way it seems to be here in Canada.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

just a guess but the dealer forgot to order the car with a block heater and wants to install and aftermarket one. 75 bucks isnt enough so they want more money. if you give me the last 8 of the vin i can check

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
punjabi

Last 8 digits of my VIN are 8J183463

The dealer told me this was a dealer installed item not factory installed.

Is this a dealer installed item?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help punjabi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

They might be right in that its a dealer installed accessory, but it still should be factory parts. I can't see why a OEM unit would not be complete with the heater and the OEM wiring to bring it to the front of the vehicle for external connection. Something sounds fishy there. Might want to check with a different dealer if possible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to froggy81500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

not ordered or built with block heater. car was built on 11/12... invoiced and shipped to dealer on 12/12 so car should either be there or be there very soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

it seems like they could just admit the mistake and eat the difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #9
djhhjd
djhhjd is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 3.5L

If you ordered it from a salesman on your new Outlook for $75.00 then that should be the end of it, they should install it and move on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djhhjd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djhhjd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djhhjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:27 PM   #10
punjabi

Salesman told me they ordered two block heater assemblies from their parts supplier. Both times the heater arrived with only the heater and a note stating a partnumber for the cord/wiring. Which is what they state costs additional $90.00

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2007, 10:08 PM   #11
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i thought you had ordered it on the car. then it would come from the factory 75bucks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #12
punjabi

I did order it on the car, but dealer is telling me it is not a factory installed option. The dealer is saying the block heater does not come with the cord, which is extra. I phoned another Saturn dealer asking for price on block heater. He also said block heater was $30 and cord was $90 which is extra.

Why then is saturn putting the block heater option as $75? It is very unclear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-30-2007, 11:58 AM   #13
djhhjd

2009 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by punjabi View Post
I did order it on the car, but dealer is telling me it is not a factory installed option. The dealer is saying the block heater does not come with the cord, which is extra. I phoned another Saturn dealer asking for price on block heater. He also said block heater was $30 and cord was $90 which is extra.

Why then is saturn putting the block heater option as $75? It is very unclear.
Maybe they are adding in labor to install it for just the heater witch is the $75.00 total?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help djhhjd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #14
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

My understanding is that this is a factory-installed option. Accessories are usually labelled as such, and I have never seen this labelled as an accessory on a GM car.

Not to mention the fact that until recently GM charged $50 for this option. They bumped the price to $75 and even $100 on some models within the last year or two.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:42 AM   #15
sixsigma
sixsigma is on a distinguished road

1) Call Saturn and see if the dealer is telling you the truth
2) Tell them that you want to use the 30 day return and get a car that is properly equipped. That will cost the dealer more than $90 is paperwork etc. It will be cheaper for them to install the cord at their expense

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sixsigma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sixsigma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sixsigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:32 PM   #16
djhhjd

2009 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I ordered the Engine Block heater option with my new Saturn Outlook 2008 XR. This option was $75.00. Now the dealer just called me back that this does not include the cord with it. The cord cost additional $90.00. No where does saturn indicate that you need to buy the cord seperate or there would be additional cost for cord. This not the cord that goes from the vehicle to your wall socket. This is the cord from Block heater to the front of your hood. So why is Saturn selling a Block heater without Cord?

Does anyone else have run into similar issues?
How cold does it get where you live and do you park outside @ night?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #17
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhhjd View Post
How cold does it get where you live and do you park outside @ night?
I was wondering the same thing. I grew up in northern WI and never needed an engine block heater, just needed a good battery with a good amount of CCA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #18
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
I ordered the Engine Block heater option with my new Saturn Outlook 2008 XR. This option was $75.00. Now the dealer just called me back that this does not include the cord with it.
In 2007 the block heater option a) was factory installed and b) included the power cord (mine is in my glove box awaiting installation :-). Sounds to me like your dealership is giving you the run-around....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #19
djhhjd

2009 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald View Post
In 2007 the block heater option a) was factory installed and b) included the power cord (mine is in my glove box awaiting installation :-). Sounds to me like your dealership is giving you the run-around....
The cord or the heater unit is in your glove box awaiting installation? How much did you pay for the heater and the cord?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #20
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

I lived in Minnesota for 16 years and never needed an engine block heater, even though plug-ins are fairly common.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote