SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-22-2020, 10:34 PM   #1
98SaturnSL2Bett
98SaturnSL2Bett is a jewel in the rough98SaturnSL2Bett is a jewel in the rough98SaturnSL2Bett is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Quick update on the car & wondering how everyone's doing?

So the 98 SL2 has been working great these last few months since the crankshaft position sensor was changed three times.

I did "break" the driver's side window about a month ago trying to roll it down on a really cold day to get out of a parking ramp.

It was also in it's first accident a couple of weeks ago - the cousin backed into the read drivers side door in the driveway

How is everyone doing with all of the chaos going on in the world these days?

Still have one job but not getting hours from another and expecting the start of a new job this spring to be delayed.
98SaturnSL2Bett is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2020, 02:50 AM   #2
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant future

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Arrow Re: Quick update on the car & wondering how everyone's doing?

Hi Brett,

I'm sorry to hear about your accident and the broken window. I hope the damage from the accident wasn't too bad. Have you found replacement glass for the window?

Things are crazy in the world right now. Stay safe out there and take care of yourself and family!!

Charlie
2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:38 AM   #3
98SaturnSL2Bett
98SaturnSL2Bett is a jewel in the rough98SaturnSL2Bett is a jewel in the rough98SaturnSL2Bett is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Re: Quick update on the car & wondering how everyone's doing?

Hi Charlie -

Thanks for the reply. The "accident" is just a scrape of the back door paint. Can't believe I was able to go almost 22 years without an accident

The window glass isn't broken. Just can no longer roll the window down. Luckily it's stuck closed instead of open for weather and security reasons.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

My '95 was accident free until last year. But then in a matter of 6 months time, within 1/4 mile of work, I got hit twice. Once on the passenger door, bad enough to have the entire door replaced, then got rear ended which punted me forward enough to hit the bumper of the truck in front of me. Minor damage the second time, not enough to worry about.

As for world chaos, things have slowed down at work enough that we will be "part timers" until life returns to somewhat normal. We're in good shape financially, so time with my daughter at home, and hopefully if the weather clears some time to get more done on the outside of the house.
Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #5
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

My car is on the trickle charger. All is well.

Somebody has to state the obvious, so...
Gas Station Gas Pump Card Reader Slot:
Remember that the little “nook” that your fingers go into, while you insert your “chip” card, is a corporatedesigned disease transfer device. Speedway has them. Wear gloves.
Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really nice

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Who needs to buy gas? My cars are all parked.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #7
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Enjoying the $1.59 gas, much less traffic on my 62 mile round trip daily commute.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:54 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ ^ What?! ^ ^ How? Where? Why? Who? When? Oh how the oil companies are upset........ Regular around here is about $2.29/gal. I'm hesitant to go outside just to get out of the house, change my winter windshield blades for summer ones and run an errand for groceries. With NYC declared the epicenter of COVID-19 after controlled testing, moving around outside can be risky. Let's face it, COVID-19 doesn't discriminate and can be carried by anyone to spread as easily as the worse case scenarios were already imagined by the military and research labs - releasing a germ into the atmosphere and let Mother Nature spread it to every unsuspecting person and animal. It's disheartening when the possibility of spreading COVID-19 can occur just by grocery shopping, filling a tank of gas, buying a cup of coffee from 7-11 or just walking around in public. Even the mail man can inadvertently deliver......

I've already stepped out a few days ago and will again today or tomorrow and assume the risks of exposure no different from anyone else stepping out. I'll try to hole up as necessary to minimize personal exposure.

In the meantime, I can ponder. Will my gas spoil after a week or three? Do I have enough toilet paper to get me thru this pandemic or will I have to beg from a relative nearby? When I time my outings, will the meat shelves be restocked? Will I become a carrier and/or become exposed to COVID-19 from someone? Will the internet go down? Will cell service drop dead? Will this be the way to force everyone into a cashless society by tapping credit cards on designated readers? Is this the new normal? Hopefully, COVID-19 will pass and become a historical note as we pick ourselves up and resume life. I'm wondering and looking forward to a possible vaccine for COVID-19 if and when the smart ones figure it out.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #9
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Enjoying the $1.59 gas, much less traffic on my 62 mile round trip daily commute.
The cheapest I got gas was $1.83 before I stopped working. That was nice since my mileage is down... I'm hoping it's the EGR problem I have although I was getting the code well before I noticed the mileage drop.... about 5-6mpg which I think is a bit much for winter gas. I've been sub-30 on the highway.

I've had some time to watch some really great videos on the EGR, which I have linked in my EGR thread.

It's occurred to me that now may be a good time to tackle my rear brakes.... assuming the weather is decent. It's supposed to rain all weekend, and I'm not sure what next week is supposed to look like.
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:58 PM   #10
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Who needs to buy gas? My cars are all parked.
Germs aren’t going away.
Take a tip from Robin and get some effeminate, tactile motocross gloves
Any other type of glove will make it difficult to remove the chip card from your wallet and stuff the card into the pump slot.

^Disease Transfer Device

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #11
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

https://www.brasscheck.com/video/why...inese-doctors/
Old 03-25-2020, 03:33 PM   #12
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

Still working 'cause my employer is considered a critical contractor to the DOD.

Anyway, using gasoline and diesel additives, one can successfully store fuels for long term. I had stored fuel that I used it straight in my electric generator a few years ago. The entire region was hit with derecho winds, and like had no incoming line power for 9 full days, because we were the only house on the electric trail which ran for a mile through woods and only supplied us.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #13
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Germs aren’t going away.
Take a tip from Robin and get some effeminate, tactile motocross gloves
For several years I have used the dropper, from a 2 dram glass vial (which is filled with alcohol) rather than my finger on any keypad. It fits in my wallet where I keep all my cards so it is convenient.

I have about a dozen of these vials, filled with various essentials oils, full strength silver colloidal & diluted oil of oregano as part of my first aid kit that is kept in the car.

Saturn 1998 - SL2 automatic
Singer 1952 - 301A knee driven
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #14
98SaturnSL2Bett

1998 SL2

I was laid off from my job on Tuesday of this week. And the additional job I will be starting this spring has been delayed due to the order by the Governor of Minnesota for us all to pretty much stay home for the next two weeks.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #15
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Hello,
I am still working in nyc everyday, which is a blessing and a curse. We are a one income family, but considered essential. I am following all the protocols to avoid COVID-19
Ccrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:18 AM   #16
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98SaturnSL2Bett View Post
I was laid off from my job on Tuesday of this week. And the additional job I will be starting this spring has been delayed due to the order by the Governor of Minnesota for us all to pretty much stay home for the next two weeks.
That sucks. Sorry to hear. On the plus side - guessing your Saturn is paid off. Can't tell you how pleased I am not to have to worry about car payments.

Broken driver window mechanism sucks, if you have to pay parking, tolls, etc. Might be the plastic slider, which is not that difficult to replace from what I hear. There are a couple of videos on youtube, and this thread has part number and link to 3D printing info
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232010

BTW - some insurance companies are giving money back to their customers, and some customers are calling their insurance co to let them know their commuting mileage is now zero miles a day. YMMV as to whether that changes your rates or not - my son used to drive 100 miles a day round trip but is now working from home. Calling our insurance co is on the "to do" list.

Also on my to do list, it's a bit early but I may do a week-long piston soak on my car. It's a bit early for an oil change, and need to wait and see if our governor will be able to extend the "stay at home" order or not (needs legislative approval to extend). Will find out today or tomorrow
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #17
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrussell View Post
Hello,
I am still working in nyc everyday, which is a blessing and a curse. We are a one income family, but considered essential. I am following all the protocols to avoid COVID-19
Stay safe! I had to drive to Chicago Ohare about 10 days ago. Most of the hwy there was very low traffic, other than semi trucks, and the parking lot at O'hare was more empty than I had ever seen it. Was able to park in the first row at the closest terminal and there were no cars around, no lines at the counters, and no lines at TSA checkpoints. Never seen a large airport that deserted before.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #18
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Also on my to do list, it's a bit early but I may do a week-long piston soak on my car. It's a bit early for an oil change, and need to wait and see if our governor will be able to extend the "stay at home" order or not (needs legislative approval to extend). Will find out today or tomorrow
A week long? Wow. When I tried soaking the pistons, I had one that would go down fast. The rest would drop overnight. I think there was one or two that still had liquid in them. Do you keep refilling, or do yours not drain out completely in that time?

I should probably do a wheel bearing...
1999 Chevy K3500
Old 04-08-2020, 11:16 AM   #19
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

Essential worker for manufacturing and defense here so still working. I do kind of enjoy the lack of traffic on my 53 mile each way commute though.

Tested a/c and found expansion valve was bad and compressor was making some unhealthy noises. Picked up a used compressor for $40 at the local u pull it place. Appeared to be a very low mile rebuilt unit. New valve and a quick recharge and all is well again.

Someday I need to get under my car to figure out why the exhaust hits the rear subframe from time to time.

Highmile
'95 SL1 706k and counting
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #20
454cid
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmile View Post
Essential worker for manufacturing and defense here so still working. I do kind of enjoy the lack of traffic on my 53 mile each way commute though.
I can understand that.... I loved the days when traffic was light. While working 3rd, about all I get is Saturday morning. When I worked a late 2nd, every night was wonderful on the way home....3am no one was on the road but me.

Quote:
Tested a/c and found expansion valve was bad and compressor was making some unhealthy noises. Picked up a used compressor for $40 at the local u pull it place. Appeared to be a very low mile rebuilt unit. New valve and a quick recharge and all is well again.
I need to see if I can get mine going. I haven't explored it at all.

Quote:
Someday I need to get under my car to figure out why the exhaust hits the rear subframe from time to time.
When I had my SL2 in the shop for a brake line, I went under the car with the mechanic. I noticed the exhaust mount in the middle was no longer attached. My exhaust still has the original muffler, but the rest of it looks pieced together. I asked him if he could do something about it cheaply, and he said he'd come up with something.... I think he used a hose clamp. I just didn't want it to bounce around and stress crack. I'd look there since it allowed for movement but wasn't obviously drooping.
1999 Chevy K3500