saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 04-06-2018, 02:58 AM   #1
jemstudio
jemstudio is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
Default idle adjust ?

I have read that you cant adjust the idle on a 2007 vue ? true or not

I just replaced all 4 mounts on my 2.2 l engine and am still getting some shaking. but my car is idling at 500-600 rpm and I read it should be at 900-950. anyone know how to get the idle up. I removed the throttle body and cleaned it. it helped but id still like to get that idle up a bit.
jemstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: idle adjust ?

Any codes?

-Robert
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:10 PM   #3
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemstudio View Post
I have read that you cant adjust the idle on a 2007 vue ? true or not
Older mechanical throttle bodies had a stop screw but there is nothing on these electric versions that are adjustable. Idle speed is set by the computer. If it's too low, a bad sensor could be feeding the computer wrong information.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:26 AM   #4
jemstudio

2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Any codes?

-Robert
no codes
Old 04-07-2018, 12:28 AM   #5
jemstudio

2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Older mechanical throttle bodies had a stop screw but there is nothing on these electric versions that are adjustable. Idle speed is set by the computer. If it's too low, a bad sensor could be feeding the computer wrong information.
is there someplace I can take it to or mechanic shop that can do it by computer?
Old 04-07-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

jemstudio, your car uses a drive by wire system - an electric throttle, electronic pedal and ECM. This is the most sophisticated EFI system to date with zero adjustments. No computer access to change idle. It's adjusted from programmed software in the ecm. Manually adjusting throttle idle doesn't exist, period. Since you found a low idle, something failed - worn part, loose gasket, vacuum, choked air filter, faulty sensor, exhaust system choked, worn spark plugs, etc.. Find the fault, correct it and idle will return to normal. If you aren't familiar with car repairs, you'll pay someone to fix it.

What's car history?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
jemstudio

2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
jemstudio, your car uses a drive by wire system - an electric throttle, electronic pedal and ECM. This is the most sophisticated EFI system to date with zero adjustments. No computer access to change idle. It's adjusted from programmed software in the ecm. Manually adjusting throttle idle doesn't exist, period. Since you found a low idle, something failed - worn part, loose gasket, vacuum, choked air filter, faulty sensor, exhaust system choked, worn spark plugs, etc.. Find the fault, correct it and idle will return to normal. If you aren't familiar with car repairs, you'll pay someone to fix it.

What's car history?
it was just tuned up not long ago and new oil, plugs, coil pack, filters, were replaced including all 4 motor mounts. I removed the throttle body and cleaned it up and it seemed to improve a little but still not where it should be. car don't stall out but it shakes like it wants to. RPMs still around 500-600. for this low idle problem what specifically should I be looking for first?
Old 04-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #8
SylenThunder
SylenThunder is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

I've heard that you can reset/re-train the electronic throttle, but have yet to find a method that works on the Vue.

My guess would be a sensor not reading correctly though. When was the last time you changed the plugs and/or cleaned the fuel injection and vacuum systems?
2004 FWD, Vti, 2.2L
Custom CAI
SylenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #9
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Disconnect the battery a few minutes.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:09 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Mileage? Did low idle occur before or after maintenance? When you removed the throttle assembly for cleaning, there are several steps involving disconnecting sensors. Are all of them reconnected? Were there any other things that you may have forgotten about when replacing plugs and filters? Its easy to imagine, much harder to make a visual check on where you went in to remove parts that may contribute to this issue. With few clues given, a broad list of possibilities are given. Start anywhere.

Most, if not all service manuals mention when replacing throttle actuators (even when you didn't replace it) to perform a recalibration. Turn the ignition ON for one minute while the engine control module (ECM) automatically relearns throttle position. You may see and hear a slight whirring sound as the ecm commands the throttle servo motor. After a minute, startup. On a cold engine, drive or idle until the engine warms up. Idle rpm should be as you remember it. If nothing changed, more troubleshooting is needed. A reader capable of logging might help. Three logs should be recorded; 1)ignition on, engine off to record sensor data with local temperature at time of recording, 2)cold engine idling, and 3)warm engine idle after the engine is fully warmed up.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:18 PM   #11
jemstudio

2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
I've heard that you can reset/re-train the electronic throttle, but have yet to find a method that works on the Vue.

My guess would be a sensor not reading correctly though. When was the last time you changed the plugs and/or cleaned the fuel injection and vacuum systems?
changed oil filters coil packs plugs about a month ago. when I bought the car it had a shake to it so I checked the mounts and some were bad so I changed them all. but there was still a shake then I looked at the RPMs and noticed my RPMs looked kinda low about 500-600 rpm noticed that when I revved it just a little the shaking stopped. I did some reading and found that rpms should be a little higher.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #12
bern
Advanced Member
bern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of light

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

A 11 year old Vue and likely also has 130,000 miles with rough idle.

I suspect the engine has some mechanical ware.
Test : (1)Cylinder compression with all 4 spark plug removed before / while testing.
(2) Cylinder leak down with 50 psi or LESS on the first gauge.
High leak down can be caused by valve that don't seal good.

(3)Inspect for broken timing chain guide. The left side timing chain guide supports the timing chain between the crankshaft and the intake camshaft. Remove the access plug from the front left of the cylinder head. with a mirror you can see (inspect) the black plastic guide for being broken. If the guide is broken this will cause retarded camshaft timing.
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #13
atikovi
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bern View Post
If the guide is broken this will cause retarded camshaft timing.
And set a code.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:11 AM   #14
bern
Advanced Member
bern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of light

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

I have 09 Malibu 2.4L in the shop now, I removed the cylinder head to repair broken exhaust manifold studs, when I removed the head I found the left side timing chain guide broken. The 2.4L has both intake and exhaust camshaft sensors and did not have any timing related DTCs.
The 2.2L dose not have camshaft sensor, so the 2.2L is less likely to set a timing related DTCs.
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #15
jeff kirschke
jeff kirschke is on a distinguished road

haa ha forget the idle adjustment, i have installed an adjustable stop on the pedal, fooled it for a minute. and not to be defeated proceede to drill measured hole in the throttle plate. fooled it for 2 minutes lol. still idleing at a shaky 560-600 rpm. dealer hooked up Tech 11. i think he called it, no help. cant be done. boo hoo. makes me nuts
jeff kirschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:42 AM   #16
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

The Vue I had showed about 600 rpm at idle on the tach. It was VERY smooth and quiet. Doing all that ***** you did was dumb. There is something else wrong with that engine
2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:18 PM   #17
bitterman
bitterman has a spectacular aura aboutbitterman has a spectacular aura aboutbitterman has a spectacular aura about

These guys are correct. This engine runs smooth as silk when all is healthy. I have been trying to track down a slight rough idle condition for several months. I'm the original owner of my 06 vue and idle has always been 550 to 600 and never any higher. Not sure where you heard 950 is typical but from my experience, 600 is typical.

My rough idle issues get worse as the weather gets colder... or so it appears so far... still investigating my issue.

A few items to check that have not been discussed yet.

Check to make sure you have the correct volts reaching the ignition coil fuel pump and the throttle body.

Fuel pressure readings... might have a weak fuel pump.

Check all your ground connections on the engine to the ECM and around the engine bay.

Have you checked the health of your battery and charging system?

Good luck
bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #18
jemstudio

2007 VUE 2.2L

am still running at 500-600 rpm still shaking all vacuum lines look good was checking out this little box that a vacuum line from the throttle body goes into and another line comes out the back. what is it and what does it do ? it has a power connection to some kind of pump. if its bad could that be the problem