SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
kimohands
kimohands has a spectacular aura aboutkimohands has a spectacular aura aboutkimohands has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL1
Default Two Codes Occasional Light Bucking

So it's a 95 SL1, manual. I rebuilt the engine about 5000 miles ago when it was burning oil and smoking like crazy. Drilled out piston Now no oil burning. Occasionally the car will buck a little while im driving, usually around 40 mph steady. It doesn't happen all the time but it is troubling and it throws a few codes.

I'm getting error code 32 for the egr, and an O2 sensor rich mixture code. Neither of these codes stick so i couldn't paper clip them. Last week i had a MAP sensor code so i replaced the MAP sensor and the code is yet to reemerge. The car has a relatively new EGR ( EGR was replaced not long before the rebuild when it was burning oil real bad ) New O2 sensor, ECTS, plugs and wires, and TPS. Not sure how to proceed on this one.
Mason in Florida
1995 Saturn SL1 SOHC 5Spd
kimohands is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Two Codes Occasional Light Bucking

To fully isolate an egr valve issue would be to make a temporary blocking gasket from soda can aluminum to block off the ports under the egr valve. This will work but will melt if left in place for more than a few days. Soup can sheet metal can be left in place for days. If there's a night and day difference without problems, the egr valve is the fault. Don't try disconnecting the wiring - it doesn't work if the pintle valve is sticking or the internal electric/electronic parts are faulty. With a blocking gasket, ignore egr valve error codes until its determined whether or not the egr valve is the problem.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #3
kimohands
kimohands has a spectacular aura aboutkimohands has a spectacular aura aboutkimohands has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL1

So blocking off the EGR Gives a noticible increase in power but messes up my idle. It started idling very low. When i brake quickly if feels like it could stall out.
Mason in Florida
Old 06-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The egr valve ports blocked off does not contribute to lowering idle rpm. There's something else going on that dropped normal idle (700-900 rpm). The egr valve does not open (to feed exhaust gases into the intake manifold) at idle or wide open throttle. Its opened in proportion to throttle opening.

1-What's idle now (with egr blocked off)? If its below 700 rpm then there may be several areas that affect idle rpm; coolant sensor, thermostat, throttle plate position, vacuum leak, etc..

2-Was throttle ever cleaned before/after engine rebuild?

3-Was throttle ever adjusted? Initial factory setting should never need adjustment even if idle air control valve and/or throttle position sensor were replaced. Anyone adjusting the throttle stop screw throws off pcm control of idle and all other settings.

4-Was the two-wire coolant sensor replaced (not the single wire one)?

5-Is the two-wire sensor connector clean and free of any corrosion before/after engine rebuild?

6-Was the old thermostat replaced?

7-Where is the temperature needle sitting on the temperature gauge after a full warm up?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:00 PM   #5
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

my 2000 SL2 with 409,000km bucks every 50,000km or so. For my DOHC engine it is carbon, I just wind her out at 4000 RPM steady for 30 seconds on the highway ( usually in 3rd gear ) and the issue goes away for another 50,000 km or so. My mechanic friend says my EGR valve gets carbon in it and my 4000 RPM run cleans her out. I do remove the EGR valve every so often a clean it. You car is a SOHC but the EGR valve does the same thing.
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
kimohands

1995 SL1

I understand how the egr valve works and that the egr valve shouldn't have any impact on my idle. I'm just describing my experience. The car was driving fine minus the occasional codes, then i blocked off the egr and it no longer idled properly.

The idle drops as low as between 500 and 600 when stopping and continues to dip from my normal idle to below 700 when im sitting.

Throttle body and intake manifold were cleaned before reassembly.

Throttle has never been adjusted.

Both the temp sensors have been replaced, the one for the gauge and the one for the computer.

I don't think i've ever replaced the thermostat/not 100% sure but running temp is slightly below 1/2
Mason in Florida
Old 06-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #7
kimohands

1995 SL1

I was checking out the egr valve and the mounting base is bent. just a little bit but its definitely bent. So i bent it back and i guess it wasn't sealing properly. I put it back on and now everything seems fine.

Thanks for your input guys.
Mason in Florida