Dutchman1954 is on a distinguished road

Default Transmission Cable recall

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A450JB20140506
Dutchman1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #2
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: Transmission Cable recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman1954 View Post
Good FYI. Thanks.

There's also this article which references "recall number 14152" (at the bottom of the article) and provides the tel. # to contact GM.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...n+Headlines%29

According to the article(s) and as of this date, the recall only affects 2007 / 2008 Saturn AURAs with 4-speed transmissions.
2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

Last edited by gpartrid; 05-07-2014 at 06:24 AM.
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
erik@howes
erik@howes is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

I had mine done at the end of February (2007 Aura XE). I went out for dinner and when we parked, I noticed that the shifter would go into park but the car wouldn't park and started to roll away as it states in the article. I applied the emergency break and called GM that moment. I had 99,500 miles at the time. Took them a few hours at the dealer, but no cost to me.
erik@howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Isn't this the same recall from Sept 2012? Same MYs and same 4AT.
2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

If i read it right they are just adding some VINs to the previous recall so if they already checked yours off you wont get another notice.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
NDjoe
NDjoe is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

This just happened to my car. I came on here today to figure it out.
NDjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
NDjoe

2007 AURA XE

Well.... They said my vin wasn't part of the recall. How much is this going to cost?!?! Kinda freaking out about it.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:23 AM   #8
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDjoe View Post
Well.... They said my vin wasn't part of the recall. How much is this going to cost?!?! Kinda freaking out about it.
the shifter cable isn't expensive or hard to replace. should be under $200 installed. less if u DIY.

did the clip break that holds the two parts of the cable together?
Old 05-14-2014, 03:41 AM   #9
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
No idea which AURA you have...

If you believe you do have a problem with your cable, take it to your dealer, have them inspect it and if there is a problem identical to the recall issue, then contact GM and go from there.
2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #10
NDjoe

2007 AURA XE

I have an 07 AURA XE. The dealer couldn't get me in till tomorrow. I just want to have an idea what i am in for just in case I have to take it somewhere else. The GM dealer, here, is a jerk. would GM give me any answers if i call them before I take it in?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #11
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have an 07 AURA XE. The dealer couldn't get me in till tomorrow. I just want to have an idea what i am in for just in case I have to take it somewhere else. The GM dealer, here, is a jerk. would GM give me any answers if i call them before I take it in?
They will verify if your VIN is part of the recall. If it is, they will fix it as long as it has a clean title. Branded titles (i.e. salvage, etc.) warranties are null therefore are not included.
2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #12
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
a dealer will usually be the most expensive option due to their high labor rate.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #13
erik@howes
erik@howes is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
I also have the 07 XE and this is a known issue with this car. I don't believe it is an actual recall, but a bulletin was sent out. GM customer service told me at first that mine wasn't covered then they transferred me to the GM dealer who told me it was covered - which I was kid of shocked about. My GM dealer immediately knew what I was talking about.
erik@howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
oceanman
oceanman is on a distinguished road

My wife's '07 Aura shifter cable just snapped on Memorial day. Here is some information I have gathered so far:

According to GM customer care, there is a "special coverage" for it now as long as the vehicle is less than 120,000 miles. There is a recall, but the details have not been distributed to the dealer. GM recall number is 14152.

My two local dealers cannot locate the part which is part number 23237999; they both say this is a good part number. Apparently there are none available in the country! Dealer said that it could be on backorder for up to a month. A google search turns up zero results.

Now, my wife's cousin works for GM, and he said that part number 25907379 is another shifter cable that should fit the '07 Aura XE. I have not been able to confirm this with the dealer or another person with GM, yet. Is there anyone that can verify this? I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'll probably order it and install it myself if it is going to be any longer waiting for the dealership.

From what I researched, the cause of the issue is a defective cable housing that prematurely deteriorates and falls apart. Shortly thereafter, the cable braids wear away and break.

Why is the original part number out of stock, you may ask? My hunch is that since they issued a recall there either has been a run on the part with the "Special Coverage" or the part is in the process of being re-engineered and then re-manufactured. This is just a guess.

None-of-the-less, we're without our Saturn until this mess gets resolved. I'm still waiting to hear back from dealer if 25907379 is a good alternate part number.
oceanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #15
oceanman
oceanman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanman View Post
My wife's '07 Aura shifter cable just snapped on Memorial day. Here is some information I have gathered so far:

According to GM customer care, there is a "special coverage" for it now as long as the vehicle is less than 120,000 miles. There is a recall, but the details have not been distributed to the dealer. GM recall number is 14152.

My two local dealers cannot locate the part which is part number 23237999; they both say this is a good part number. Apparently there are none available in the country! Dealer said that it could be on backorder for up to a month. A google search turns up zero results.

Now, my wife's cousin works for GM, and he said that part number 25907379 is another shifter cable that should fit the '07 Aura XE. I have not been able to confirm this with the dealer or another person with GM, yet. Is there anyone that can verify this? I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'll probably order it and install it myself if it is going to be any longer waiting for the dealership.

From what I researched, the cause of the issue is a defective cable housing that prematurely deteriorates and falls apart. Shortly thereafter, the cable braids wear away and break.

Why is the original part number out of stock, you may ask? My hunch is that since they issued a recall there either has been a run on the part with the "Special Coverage" or the part is in the process of being re-engineered and then re-manufactured. This is just a guess.

None-of-the-less, we're without our Saturn until this mess gets resolved. I'm still waiting to hear back from dealer if 25907379 is a good alternate part number.
Update: Part number 25907379 is a good part number. I finally convinced the dealer that this is a good number, and our Aura shifts perfectly. It's all been covered under manufactures special coverage.
oceanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #16
Spacepope
Spacepope is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

We just got the recall notice this past week (Finally). I'm somewhat surprised it took this long.
2008 Acura MDX 109k
2007 Aura XE 80k "Betty"
2003 Silver Blue ION 2, 46k Traded "Manni"
1998 SL 63K RIP "Bewm"
Spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #17
greenman

2009 AURA XE

i'm surprised it came so early given the number of recalls gm is suddenly dealing with. about 50 now isn't it? they must have started a recall division.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #18
Tsar Chasm
Tsar Chasm is on a distinguished road

I had mine fixed on Saturday. They covered a rental for the day as well.
Tsar Chasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #19
explorerbigjon
explorerbigjon will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

I got my notice Saturday before last, the dealership I work for (I work at a Honda store) owns 12 other auto franchises including a GMC/Buick store so I'm due to talk with an adviser at that store sometime soon. Just haven't had the chance yet.
explorerbigjon is offline   Reply With Quote