SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
mmtphoto
mmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
Default Need the name of a suspension part

I have a friend with a 02 SL1 who just stopped by with a broken part on the driver side rear-it is a hollow bar that attaches the underside of the car near the driver's rear and it attaches to the rear axle beam, close to the rear brake-i'd call it a torsion bar, but it couldn't be that, could it? It broke where it attaches to the rear and is just attached under the driver. How difficult to replace (I didn't jack it up), is it something I can get at a regular parts store or is it a Junk Yard item? Since it is hollow, I think I can guess why it broke (rust) but what purpose does it fulfill, and what is it called? Thanks
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
mmtphoto
mmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Need the name of a suspension part

sorry I just re read my post it is a 92 SL1, not an '02 (no such animal)
Old 05-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

May be the trailing arm. It would help if you could get a clear picture to be sure. It is probably available OEM and a J/Y is also OK, if it is the tailing arm it is identical for all models and years.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
johnny95sl2
johnny95sl2 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1995 SC2

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...&searchString=

#15 possibly? that would be the trailing arm
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
mmtphoto

2007 AURA XR

that's it, thanks Johnny-another question, I told him that I thought if he limited his driving, he'd be alright to drive it (told him to empty out his trunk, he is a painter and has a lot of weight back there)-he asked if there was something he could do about the noise coming from that part when he went over bumps and I said to use duct tape to affix it up and out of the way for now...since the broken part is back by the axle beam, he won't 'pole vault' it through the floor going forward, and it is his only car-what do you think?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The trailing arm is what locates the rear wheel and is the reaction link for braking forces. It is rather important.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
mmtphoto

2007 AURA XR

the fact that he drove it pretty far (30 miles) before I could even look at it (in the dark) kind of made me feel like he could get away with it if he was careful, but seeing the diagram changes that..I did just call him and he drove it about 50 miles this morning on the Pa turnpike and is at the job site now, said he had no problems with it. I told him to be real careful, no panic braking, and to park it when he got back while I find another-thanks.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Th good news is you can get the part off of any Saturn. Newer is better as the end with the 2 bolt slots is suspended in rubber and the end at the knuckle is also in a set of rubber bushings. Driving with that link broken is a great way to have that wheel become severely out of alignment, rapidly.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
Telyx
Telyx is on a distinguished road

2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmtphoto View Post
sorry I just re read my post it is a 92 SL1, not an '02 (no such animal)
Is too! I have an '02 SL1.
Telyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
mmtphoto

2007 AURA XR

I did not know there were SL's after 2000, I am a Saturn noob (but I really like my 99!)-I did call this guy this afternoon to make sure he got home alright, i'd feel REAL BAD if something happened to him on my say so-I told him to park it and i am going to the junk yard tomorrow to get a track bar, and will have to put it on this weekend sometime while working around the raindrops, unless I move one of MY PRISTINE CARS out of the garage to fix it...nah, I'll just get a little wet
Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

After replacing the bar the rear wheels should be checked for toe as a minimum.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
mmtphoto

2007 AURA XR

I ended up getting one out of a junkyard off of a 99 SC(in the rain), it really was not too difficult to remove that one, but getting his off was a jOKE-had to cut it in two places with a wizzer to remove it. I measured it's location relative to the front and opposite wheel and got it exact-the bolt that attaches it to the knuckle moves the wheel forward and back relative to the front wheel, so I set it so that it was the same as the wheel across from it.

Thanks for the speedy ID on the part, and all other information provided.