SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 10-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2
Default I finally pulled the trigger on a new engine!

Well, I got an engine from a junk yard today. It's a 1998 130k ran good but idled a little high. I figured I could fix that up with a tune-up.

The engine was $475 and the guys let me watch them take it out. It took them 1.5 hours, since they cut all the hoses and wires (vehicle side) and unbolted the rest. It was pretty cool to watch. They also left the starter, tensioner, water pump, TB, all attached. I think I'll have some help with this, but I'm super excited about getting my 1996 back on the road.

I also got an engine hoist from harbor freight tonight and an engine leveler. One question I had was how to attach the leveler chains to the engine points. I already bent the point above the AC compressor.

ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2
Default Re: I finally pulled the trigger on a new engine!

You also got the top engine mount with it too! haha

Does the swap for the 98 engine require the 98 PCM?

Modifying any sensors?

Looks like a fun project!
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Its hard to explain the load leveler. You'll see once you go to hook it up. Its not to hard.

Those guys were clean with the engine removal!

The guys who took the '99 engine out of my crashed '99 had no mercy. Hooked the engine up to the front in loader and then took the torch to everything; hoses, exhaust, a/c line, coolant lines, wires, engine mounts, axles, etc. My guess is that engine was out in 15 min

Wish I had a picture of it.
Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You make a bracket to bolt down on the 3 top engine mount studs and make sure its tight against the cover. If you use the stock studs and nuts you will have to make some spacers to go on top of the plate out of water pipe IIRC use 1/4" pipe. The other end you can use the provided eye. It might bend a little but you can straighten it very easily. By using your plate on those studs the engine will balance more up and down like you want. If you have a welder put a vertical tab on your bracket just past the back stud or between the 2nd and 3rd stud and it will be almost level.

If confusing, comment back and I will post a picture.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCraig View Post
You also got the top engine mount with it too! haha

Does the swap for the 98 engine require the 98 PCM?

Yea, I saw that top mount was near new so I grabbed it. The guy did break off one of the three bolts holding it on, so I'll have to tap it out...arg

I posted up awhile back asking about the 98 into the 96 and from the responses I'll need to change the fuel rail/throttle body and the alternator if the connections are different.

I'm hoping to get this started and maybe completed by this weekend, but we'll see.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
ShawnV
Master Member

2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post

If confusing, comment back and I will post a picture.

I'll figure it out... at this point this engine R&R will be a labor of love. haha.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

As long as you use all 3 studs and keep the bracket tight to the timing cover and lift pretty much so there is minimal side force on the studs they will hold fine.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

If you get the bracket wrong, your not going to be happy :/

I lift it just like in the picture. Once in, i just bend the lift point on the front of the engine back in place. Quick easy and no issues. However it should be noted that I can do this since the cradle is out from the car. Im not dropping the engine into the bay.
Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:47 AM   #9
ShawnV
Master Member

2000 SW2

Well I took a snow day today from work and started on the engine swap. I finished about 15 hours later and everything seemed to go well. I had a terrible time with the power steering pump bolts.

I swapped fuel rails, TB, alternators and some sensor that was above and towards the drivers side of the alternator (different electrical connectors).

Overall it was a pretty cool thing - pulling the engine out.

So I get in the car and the clutch is rock solid. I can't even budge it. I'm thinking the clutch fork or TO bearing didn't get properly seated?

I dread the thought of taking the tranny out again (especially after my recent clutch problems).

Any thoughts?
Old 10-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
cola
Advanced Member
cola is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

I would check the clutch fork. When I did a clutch on my moms' 96 I had the same problem with the clutch peddle not moving. It turned out to be the clutch fork.

Do you use the two clips that snap in and hold the fork?

David
2009 Aura XE 2.4-----SOLD
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1998 SL2 5-Speed------SOLD
1996 SL1 5-Speed
cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Remove the slave cylinder and see if the fork will even wiggle by hand. If the fork/bearing drop off of the end of the throwout bearing support it will wedge nicely. You do not have to pull it out but you will have to slide the trans over to the left side to get it all back in place.

It is also possible to have the hydraulics bind up in the full extended position. Tie up the clutch pedal before removing the slave. After removing slave you can stroke it in by hand if you maintain all off the slave and damper below the level of the master cylinder. It will self extend due to the spring inside of the slave. Do not let it rocket out after compressing it. If it will move in at all then the hydraulics are fine.

You didn't get the clutch friction disk in upside down did you? That will lock it right up.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
ShawnV
Master Member

2000 SW2

Thanks for the advice guys. I didn't get the friction disk upside down - I made absolutely sure not to. I had to wiggle the tranny a lot to get it to mate up with the engine so I may have thrown something off. I thought about wiggling the fork with the slave removed and I'll try that before I mess with anything else. I have a feeling my hydraulics are fine and it's the damn fork!

I ended up removing the tranny to remove the engine because I didn't have the tools to pull pulleys as suggested by Wolfman. Also, this seemed like the wise course with all my recent experience pulling the tranny off the engine.

I'll get back to you all soon!
Thanks,
Old 10-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
ShawnV
Master Member

2000 SW2

All right, I opened it up and found the clutch fork and TO bearing working properly. I put it back together and tested the clutch and it's like a brick wall.

I took the pressure plate and my friction disc was in correctly. My hydraulics also seem to be working.

Now, I'm starting to wonder if it's related to the flywheel?
I took the flywheel off my engine and installed it and the bolts onto the new engine. What else could it be?
Old 10-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #14
ShawnV
Master Member

2000 SW2

Okay, I'm retarded. I didn't have the slave cylinder installed correctly. The pushrod must have fallen when I installed it because I aimed it really high and shoved it in and it works.

The car started, but the battery apparently didn't hold the charge I gave it. The car died and now it turns over really weakly. I'm off to Advance to get a new one!
Old 10-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Buy a good Optima battery. They last.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #16
ShawnV
Master Member

2000 SW2

Well, I got the new battery, installed it, jumped in the car and held my breath. Gave it a couple of cranks and it started and runs great! How about that.

Apparently, I'm better at installing engines than clutches. Go figure that one.

I can't convey my excitement to get my old silver saturn back on the road. Now I've got two SW2s hahah

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Sounds good. How well does the new - to - you engine run?
Old 10-30-2009, 11:42 PM   #18
ShawnV
Master Member

2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Sounds good. How well does the new - to - you engine run?
It seems to run great. It idles at around 900 and sounds good. It had nasty black oil in it and the penzoil platinum synthetic I put back in is already getting black. It looks like I'll be doing another oil change soon.

The ETCS was brass (I'm not sure if they were coming like that in '98).

Overall, the engine was very clean. It must not leak oil because there was no oil on it anywhere. My poor old engine dripped oil and was covered in oil and grime.

I would definitely do this repair again if I had to. I read up on it, studied other people's posts and jumped on it. I did have to refer to a couple of how-tos on how to remove the radiator (I was also trying to remove the evap cooler), and how to remove the power steering pump. That gave me trouble because it's so tight in there. Separating the tranny from the engine worked well for me since I've had lots of recent experience with that, plus I didn't have the gear puller to remove the pulleys. I just pulled the engine straight out with my engine hoist (now for sale on CL).

I'm still amazed that it turned out like replacing a lightbulb - you take the old one out and plug the new one in and it works.

Any thoughts on what I can do with the old, seized engine? I pulled the water pump because I recently replaced it, along with the tensioner and idler pulley. The engine is seized, but still has some good parts I would imagine. I might try listing it on CL for free or super cheap. My neighbor also scraps metal when he can and he's already taken lots of old appliances off my hands.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:57 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Save the good parts and scrap the rest. If you save the injectors keep them wet in high grade non alcohol gas.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:38 PM   #20
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

The brass ECTS started being installed in the late 2001 model year IIRC.
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote