SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 04:04 PM   #1
red95isback
red95isback is on a distinguished road

Question blown rear strut mounts...why??

as u can see..im hopping mad...haha..ok,,anwayz..i have a 95 saturn SL..its moderately modified...i happen to have H&R springs with KYB Struts..the car has 123000 miles on it...the first set of strut mounts broke at around..ohhh maybe 105000 miles...i put the springs n struts on @ 85000 miles...and justteh other day..i feel the car goin sideways over bumps and look in the back..sure enuff..u can see the strut rod pokin at the rear deck cover again...my question..is..WHY is this happening? are the springs putting THAT much pressure on them? has anybody else had problem with the rear strut mounts going out? my fronts are fine..still OE...umm...i have 205/50-15 tires on 15X7 wheels...proper offset...alignment is good...no hub or wheel spacers....
does anybody know of any "high performance" mounts?
or what i could to to modify the new ones that i buy? any help would be greatly appreciated...
THANKS!!

oh yeah..heres my bucket...and my son checkin it out...he thinks he gets it when he's 16...haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wmycarjpg.jpg (18.7 KB, 50 views)
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2002, 07:35 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

I take it the upper strut mount is breaking at the "top hat" where the strut goes through the center? If that is correct your after market springs are bottoming (topping actually) and hammering the bejebus out of the top hat. It was not designed to take this sort of constant "abuse". The solution is to either 1. Fabricate and install some sort of "bump stops" to prevent the struts from reaching the top travel limit. (the top hat) OR 2. Reinforce the the top hat itself at the 3 bolt mount with some fabricated STRONG steel "rings" both on the top and (inside) bottom of the mount point to prevent the strut from being able to beat it through or fatique it enough for it to fail. There are NO "heavy duty" mounts available that I am aware of. A rubber or neoprene "bushing" installed between the top of the strut and the top hat mount "may" also work by "cushioning" the blow.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 09-15-2002, 08:16 PM   #3
red95isback
red95isback is on a distinguished road

wolf...thanks for your reply and your ideas...i might try a combo of both of them..just to be safe...i know i've got some pretty large fender washers at work..maybe 1/8th inch thick...again....thanks for the input...its appreciated
Old 09-16-2002, 01:10 PM   #4
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

H&R springs are shorter and stiff than stock so the KYB struts top are in effect higher up in the car than stock. the stock bumpstop should keep them from bottoming out as long as you didn't cut them in half. i've had H&R springs and KYB struts on my old 92 SC and now 96 SC2. watch those potholes. the springs are pushing the struts down so that should keep them from bottoming too.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
Closed Thread