SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
Dave19yz
Dave19yz is on a distinguished road

Default Fog lights to stay on when high beams are on

Hey guys, new to the forum so hello to all. I already did a search, so I apologize if i missed somethin obvious, but i came up with nothing.

Here's the situation:

I bought a '96 Sc2 last february as a daily driver, after a little work, it runs great. However, when I bought it, there was no radio. So I bought one at wal mart and rewired it. Unfortunately, I could not find the switched and constant 12v power sources (and i checked every friggin wire in there with my voltmeter), so I used an add-a-fuse circuit for the switched 12v, and a splice tap from one of the fog light wires as the consant 12v. It's worked great for the past few months...they only problem is, when i turn the hi beams on...my radio turns off...

I don't do that much driving at night normally, but now with daylight savings time over, I drive home at night in the dark...and would like to listen to the radio!! So, how do I get the fog lights to stay on when the brights are on. Is it as simpe as jumping the pins on the fog light relay?

Sorry for the long post, any help is appreciated.
Dave19yz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
MikeH
MikeH is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2000 SC2
Default Re: Fog lights to stay on when high beams are on

The fog lights are supposed to be off while high beams are on.
The radio needs to be wired correctly!
MikeH
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Dave19yz

I understand that, however there is a way to have the fog lights not turn off when the high beams are on.

And the radio is wired correctly, i am just using a different switched 12v and constant 12v source.
-Dave
2006 GTO Impulse Blue on Blue, 18s, M6, Corsa, Kooks, and HPtuners
1996 SC2 - Auto, 32mpg, 187k and running strong
Old 12-22-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

The cigarette lighter is always hot. You can get power there.
1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
Dave19yz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
The cigarette lighter is always hot. You can get power there.
That's a good thought, but i often use the cig lighter for accessories (i.e. my xm, phone charger, and even for my computer out on job sites), i dont wanna draw too much and continually blow fuses. Any other ideas?
-Dave
Old 12-24-2007, 09:57 PM   #6
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

...let's see... either figure out a way to jimmy the fog lights or wire your stereo to a proper power supply??? tough call.

i'd say wire the stereo correctly (if it turns off with the hi-beams on, it's not wired correctly). if you can't figure it out on your own, perhaps you could enlist the assistance of your nearest local radio shop?

there really is no need for shoddy work or elaborate work-arounds...

s3aturnr
"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:15 PM   #7
Dave19yz

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
...let's see... either figure out a way to jimmy the fog lights or wire your stereo to a proper power supply??? tough call.

i'd say wire the stereo correctly (if it turns off with the hi-beams on, it's not wired correctly). if you can't figure it out on your own, perhaps you could enlist the assistance of your nearest local radio shop?

there really is no need for shoddy work or elaborate work-arounds...

s3aturnr
I understand it's not "technically" wired correctly, as obviously it wouldn't be wired up to the fog lights, however I checked and rechecked every wire in the dash (all the wires were loose since whoever owned the car before me literally just ripped their stereo out) and there was no constant 12v source. It's not such a pain that I would take it to a local radio shop and get bent over to get it wired "correctly".

I suppose I can just add a circuit to a constant source off the fuse panel, I'll check them all tomorrow.

Every car I've ever owned has had a way to bypass the high beam on/fog light off conundrum, hell it just required snipping a pin off the relay on the goat.
-Dave
Old 12-25-2007, 01:13 AM   #8
MikeH
MikeH is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2000 SC2

The Haynes manual shows an Orange wire as being hot at all times. It has a 5 amp fuse noted "chime". Maybe your chime fuse is bad?

The yellow wire for the radio is hot in acc or run and is fused at 10 amps.

If you want your fog lamps to be on with the high beam, post that question for someone in the "Mods" forum. Maybe someone that knows does not read this forum.
MikeH
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 02:24 AM   #9
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

If you can't wire it correctly for whatever reason, then find another source that would be hot, like a spot where something would be for an option that you don't have installed.

As for getting to fog lights to stay on while the high beams are on, I don't really know how to do that, as a matter of fact, I don't even have fog lights, don't really need them here. But having your brights on when using fog lights is almost pointless, since when there is fog brights just make seeing worse...I've been through enough fog to know that, LOL.
R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:55 PM   #10
Dave19yz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
The Haynes manual shows an Orange wire as being hot at all times. It has a 5 amp fuse noted "chime". Maybe your chime fuse is bad?

If you want your fog lamps to be on with the high beam, post that question for someone in the "Mods" forum. Maybe someone that knows does not read this forum.
Interesting, I'll have to check that fuse. The switched 12v that i used has an inline 10A fuse, as does the constant 12v which is currently drawn off the fog lights...thanks for your help guys.
-Dave
Old 12-26-2007, 01:55 AM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

It sounds like the previous owner didn't just remove the radio, but hacked off the radio connector. Eek. As said, the RADIO fuse provides ACC-switched power and the CHIME fuse provides constant power. Problem is, a lot of aftermarket radios are sorta bass-ackwards in their design. The OEM radio draws the majority of its power from the RADIO fuse, and only a trickle for the memory from the CHIME fuse. But a lot of aftermarket radios draw the majority of their power from the wire that needs to be on constantly (for memory), and use the ACC-switched power only as a "trigger". So people hook up fairly powerful radios exactly by the book, and blow the CHIME fuse.

As for keeping the fogs on with the high beams, you need constant power (or at least power that's on with the parking lights) to the pink "B" terminal on the switch. And you need to decommission the existing pink wire feed from the high beams. I posted some crude instructions here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...37#post1048237 ; still haven't gotten the gumption to post a separate thread that'd be worthy of moving to How-To.

Last edited by madpogue; 12-26-2007 at 02:08 AM.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #12
Dave19yz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH View Post

Mike H...thank you that's exactly what i needed. The chime fuse was blown, replaced it, and voila, 13.1V on the orange wire at all times...wired it up and the radio works perfect...and doesn't turn off when i throw on the high beams. who'd a thunk the "chime" fuse was also the constant hot for the radio!
-Dave
Old 12-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
Dave19yz

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
It sounds like the previous owner didn't just remove the radio, but hacked off the radio connector. Eek. As said, the RADIO fuse provides ACC-switched power and the CHIME fuse provides constant power. Problem is, a lot of aftermarket radios are sorta bass-ackwards in their design. The OEM radio draws the majority of its power from the RADIO fuse, and only a trickle for the memory from the CHIME fuse. But a lot of aftermarket radios draw the majority of their power from the wire that needs to be on constantly (for memory), and use the ACC-switched power only as a "trigger". So people hook up fairly powerful radios exactly by the book, and blow the CHIME fuse.

As for keeping the fogs on with the high beams, you need constant power (or at least power that's on with the parking lights) to the pink "B" terminal on the switch. And you need to decommission the existing pink wire feed from the high beams. I posted some crude instructions here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...37#post1048237 ; still haven't gotten the gumption to post a separate thread that'd be worthy of moving to How-To.
Thanks man, if I hadn't been able to get the constant hot, i def would've used your instructions.
-Dave