SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #1
Cjago1964
Cjago1964 is on a distinguished road

Default Slipping transmission after replacing solenoid what did I do ?

My 2001 saturn s series car was slamming into every gear. So after some research found that it had to do with the solenoids and after looking at the video on YouTube I found it very easy to get to the solenoids in the transmission. Just a matter of taking the battery out taking the battery box out, it couldn't been more 10 bolts or screws. to get to. The valve body and replace shift solenoid I tested them found the one that was bad and put everything back together. But after about 1 or 2 miles down the road starting out from a stop position I could feel it slipping. Once I got up some speed the slipping stoped but I couldn't tell if it was changing gears. Reverse works great no more slamming into gears. What did I do wrong or what is it. Please help this is making me crazy.
Cjago1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2020, 06:40 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Slipping transmission after replacing solenoid what did I do ?

Welcome to the Forums!

What is the fluid level in the tranny, what type tranny fluid do you use, and when was the last time you drained the tranny and replaced the spin on filter?
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:03 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Slipping transmission after replacing solenoid what did I do ?

Are you hard of hearing and never observed the tachometer showing engine rpm? In Neanderthal days, the speedometer was the only gauge that was needed whether auto or manual. Most cars with manuals never had a tach. Drivers learned to shift by the sound of the engine, usually never exceeding high rpm. Sports cars were the vehicles having a tach for real drivers, including every race car in the world. Shifting by ear was all that's needed back then. Tachometers on automatics are useless for automatics but can give anyone an idea of when the shifts occur - each upshift occurs with the engine rpm dropping 500-1000 rpm. The tach needle rotates clockwise until a shift is needed when the needle drops back. On a three speed auto, there will be two shifts since first gear is always the default gear when starting from a stop. Four speed autos will have three shifts/three needle drops.

Observe your tach next time when driving. Don't stare at it. If you listen to the engine revving up (radio off), couple peak engine rpm sounds with the tach needle dropping as the next gear is 'automatically' selected. In everyday driving with moderate gas pedal application during acceleration, shifts should occur between 2000-3500 rpm. Racing from stoplight to stoplight with pedal almost floored, shifts will occur at higher rpm on the tach.

When disconnecting battery, the pcm loses memory for emissions. New emissions parameters are learned as the car is driven from the factory default program. This may include the pcm relearning how to shift. If you did everything right and didn't leave out any disconnected wiring, you may have to drive a few days for the pcm to learn everything.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote