SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-24-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1
Default 2002 AC compressor question

I have what appears to be a leak at the back of my compressor where a round slotted adjustment seems to be.

It was green around the threads.

Any idea what this adjustment is for? And can a simple seal replacement fix it?

I think itís part of the variable displacement based on suction pressure.
1996SL11.9L is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: 2002 AC compressor question

I would believe you cannot repair that, just need to replace the compressor.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:23 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

DO NOT ADJUST IT!? No one ever thought these compressors would last beyond new car warranties. The large plug is also an adjustment, factory done and has a paper seal warning against tampering/adjustments. The paper seal has long ago fallen off, tempting anyone to make adjustments that fails. That calibration plug is never meant for casual diy adjustment. The sole O-ring leaks refrigerant, oil and dye after years of reliable ac use. There's only one repair that's well documented and successfully repaired without replacing it. Sealer does more damage than its worth. It doesn't work, period. The cans don't have a money back guarantee when it fails. That's a hint there to stay away from ac sealers. Once used and ac still leaks, the repairs become monumental as the entire system will need to be disassembled to flush out sealer contaminating and sealing in the wrong places. Anyone using sealer effectively ruins their expensive-to-repair ac system.

Invisible refrigerant, oil and greenish yellow dye are in GM ac systems.

JerryHughes and his repair;
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...mpressor+leaks, Your choice to try a similar repair or replace it with associated costs of repairs.
VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 03-24-2020 at 05:29 PM.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:25 AM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Yikes! I did not know Jerry had success, he is not active anymore, but it seemed to work for him. I have learned something good here Fdryer, thanks.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

I, too, have successfully fussed with that adjustment screw; but it ended up back where it was originally for best operation. So, I agree: leave it alone.

Those are not variable displacement compressors. They are fixed displacement with an inlet throttling valve. The throttling results in high/low pressures different than the "standard" for R134a.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ You are mistaken. Saturn uses variable displacement compressors. Search past threads for reprints I posted from GM service manuals. If interested, look in my photo album of a disassembled VDC (variable displacement compressor) donated to me from JerryHughes. If you can add any insight as to how the complicated mechanism in these VDCs vary displacement, please do. The snapshot of the copper bellows directly behind the large calibration screw on the rear of these compressors operates the same as mechanical pressure gauges and altimeters. The bellows moves linkages to vary displacement.
VCX NANO
Old 03-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Perhaps I should have been more specific about the compressor I am referring to? The type I am familiar with is the Zexel model DCV-11A in my '94 SL2. It is not variable displacement. I tried to find an IPB so we could discuss the innards of the DCV-11A, but no joy so far.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If your '94 uses a thermal expansion valve on the firewall where the two refrigerant lines are connected to the evaporator coil, your compressor is a variable displacement type unless compressor specs states a piston type. All Zexel compressors for Saturn are vane types. Vane compressors use the mechanics within itself to vary displacement.
VCX NANO
Old 03-25-2020, 04:33 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

In addition to my previous reply, did you ask the experts on these forums? https://www.autoacforum.com/. One of several mvac sites capable of answering many vehicle ac questions.
VCX NANO
Old 04-07-2020, 11:06 AM   #10
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

Iím going to pull a vacuum on it and see if it holds vacuum. If not I may remove it and replace the o-ring and put it back where it was.
1996SL11.9L is online now   Reply With Quote