SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 03-23-2020, 04:46 PM   #1
Twizted8x
Twizted8x is on a distinguished road

Default Need help with an 02 6cly. No power to the fuel pump.

friend bought it thinking it was an easy fix replacing the fuel pump. Tossed the diagnostic tester on it and it got zero communication. Car will turn over and it seems to have power to everything but that and the fuel pump.

Any ideas? ECU?

Thanks,
Brian
Twizted8x is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Need help with an 02 6cly. No power to the fuel pump.

Several easy tests can be performed in the driveway to check on fuel pump operation.

1-Turn on ignition with windows rolled up, radio off and listen for the faint hum/hiss sounds of the fuel pump running for 2-3 seconds. A quiet neighborhood helps as fuel pump sounds are not loud. The ecm cycles the pump for a few seconds then shuts it off if the engine isn't started as a safety issue. Fuel under 45 psi pressure isn't needed if ignition is left on and engine running isn't needed. Once the engine is started, starter and engine noise masks any fuel pump sounds.

2-After ignition is turned on, with the hood open, locate the fuel test valve capped by a black plastic cap on the fuel rail over the center of the engine. Remove the safety cap to expose the schrader valve and depress the valve stem, expecting a spray of fuel. Cover this valve with a rag when depressing the valve stem. Fuel pressure remains for several minutes as check valves holds pressure from bleeding off.

3-Connecting a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel test port (borrowed from Autozone or Advance Auto) should display an immediate pressure as soon as ignition is turned on.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:36 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The recommendations by fdryer for testing the fuel pump are spot on. Follow them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted8x View Post
friend bought it thinking it was an easy fix replacing the fuel pump. Tossed the diagnostic tester on it and it got zero communication. Car will turn over and it seems to have power to everything but that and the fuel pump.

Any ideas? ECU?

Thanks,
Brian
Welcome to SaturnFans, Twizted8x, and making your first post since becoming a member here.

It would useful if some more information were provided:
1) Specific Saturn model - you can go into the User CP and add that information so that it appears with each post you write;
2) mileage;
3) maintenance history which you may know of, if any.

Would you please explain specifically what happened when you "Tossed the diagnostic tester on it and it got zero communication." Do you know what model of scanner was used? Was it scanned by someone else on your behalf? Did you see the scan results for yourself? If the ignition switch was on when the scanner was plugged in then there should have been some response either showing a trouble code or none at all. A fuel pump failure won't set a code.
333,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

Last edited by pierrot; 03-23-2020 at 07:42 PM.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Very good suggestions from Fdryer and Pierrot. You did not mention if you checked the fuel pump fuse?

I have another vehicle that just died on me while in a fast food drive through last week. Several folks pushed me out of the drive through into a parking spot.

I checked for fuel at the fuel rail with the key on and had no fuel and no fuel pump noise when turning the key. Pulled the fuel pump fuse and looked at it carefully. Looked good to me. Put it back in and called a tow truck to have it towed back home.

Once home, I again pulled the fuel pump fuse and looked at it with a powerful magnifying glass. Still looked good. Just for the heck of it, I got another fuse and put in in, Guess what? That fuse was bad. Pump ran and all was good. Car runs perfectly.

I kept that fuse and have shown it to several other of my "Car buddies." They all say it looks like a good fuse.

Moral of the story, check those fuses and replace it with a known good one even if it looks good. You may get lucky and solve your problem.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:53 PM   #5
mahatmakjeeves
mahatmakjeeves is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Several easy tests can be performed in the driveway to check on fuel pump operation.

1-Turn on ignition with windows rolled up, radio off and listen for the faint hum/hiss sounds of the fuel pump running for 2-3 seconds. A quiet neighborhood helps as fuel pump sounds are not loud. The ecm cycles the pump for a few seconds then shuts it off if the engine isn't started as a safety issue. Fuel under 45 psi pressure isn't needed if ignition is left on and engine running isn't needed. Once the engine is started, starter and engine noise masks any fuel pump sounds.

2-After ignition is turned on, with the hood open, locate the fuel test valve capped by a black plastic cap on the fuel rail over the center of the engine. Remove the safety cap to expose the schrader valve and depress the valve stem, expecting a spray of fuel. Cover this valve with a rag when depressing the valve stem. Fuel pressure remains for several minutes as check valves holds pressure from bleeding off.

3-Connecting a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel test port (borrowed from Autozone or Advance Auto) should display an immediate pressure as soon as ignition is turned on.
My car: 2000 LW2.

At my age, I can't hear the fuel pump running no matter how quiet the surroundings.

I can verify that the "look for fuel pressure in the line by depressing the valve stem" test works.

IIRC, the Autozone loaner tool will not work on my car's system. I could easily be mistaken. I looked at the pressure testers at Harbor Freight Tools a year or so ago. I don't think the cheaper one would work with my car's system. The more expensive one would. I could be wrong.

Last edited by mahatmakjeeves; 03-24-2020 at 09:58 PM.
mahatmakjeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Did you try the A-z f/p gauge on your car or not? It won't hurt to try as it will either screw on or not.

The fuel test valve is a schrader type, similar to tire valves and use the same valve stem. The valve stem uses a different seal to resist fuel. The outer diameter of the test valve is larger, the same as old R12 fittings on older ac systems. My knowledge is limited on this but you may find the following fact interesting.

I bought my fuel pressure gauge several decades ago. Around 1980 when I needed to check fuel pressures on a foreign car. At the time, fuel injection was just introduced to the American market and my car didn't have a fuel test valve. A high pressure fuel line from the fuel tank came up to the engine, fed fuel into a large fuel filter before feeding the fuel rail. My f/p gauge came with an aluminum 'T' fitting and some short lengths of rubber tubing to fit. I pulled the fuel line off the output side of the fuel filter, attached the 'T' fitting to the two hoses, clamped them with small worm clamps, attached a piece of rubber line to the bottom of the 'T' fitting and fit the pressure gauge onto it with clamps. A diy fuel pressure gauge to monitor pressures. It helped me determine a slightly worn fuel pressure switch on the air vane that measures airflow to the intake air manifold (no carburetor). When f/p randomly dropped, the f/p gauge showed it and I figured out the f/p switch was the problem. Some light polishing of the contacts and bending one arm allowed trouble free f/p for EFI operation. The car was my first EFI system. I removed the f/p gauge and put it away for many years until buying my Saturn L300 back in '05. I decided to break out my f/p gauge once again but this time I needed a screw on fitting to use it on my L300. My f/p gauge came with a short hose to screw onto the gauge with a screw on fitting on the other end to fit on the fuel test valve. My f/p gauge kit is over 40 yrs old and still works.

The schrader fitting on (all?) EFI systems are the same as R12 ac fittings (not R134a systems). Every fuel pressure gauge should have the same fitting to screw onto virtually any fuel test valve on any vehicle using EFI. If I can use my very old f/p gauge from 1977 by swapping in the short hose with screw on fitting to fit my L300, you shouldn't have any difficulty buying or borrowing one from Autozone. Harbor Freight have them as well as any online seller - all configured for vehicle EFI systems. While there may be other EFI systems with different fittings, more expensive f/p gauge kits will have several adapters to match. These kits are geared for repair shops that can afford the higher costs of these kits.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote