SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #21
car_termite
car_termite is a jewel in the roughcar_termite is a jewel in the roughcar_termite is a jewel in the rough

Happy Re: 98 SC2 no crank, no start

I found the problem. That relay might have been for a separate alarm or something else. I took the seat out to have more access and found that relay way up on the top left side of the IP. That was really buried. I took the dash cover to have better access from the top and jumped it and it WORKED ! Now to make a secure jumper with male plugs. This is probably why it was donated and listed on ebay and I bought it for $500. It also had other issues like tires, interior, brakes but since I have an old 95 sl2 I was able to swap out the parts. Thank you Fdryer and the rest of you guys for lending me a big hand.
car_termite is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #22
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 98 SC2 no crank, no start

Yay!? You 'da man!?
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #23
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1994 SL2
Default Re: 98 SC2 no crank, no start

As I was reading through the posts, my first thought was an aftermarket security system that was activated by a dead battery.

I used to UNINSTALL aftermarket systems when I worked at Firestone. People would buy used cars from small used car lots, and everything would be fine until the battery died, and they replaced it and tried to start the car.

It seems that when the battery died, the system would power up "armed" when the new battery was installed, and the car would no longer start. Of course the alarm was "disarmed" when the car was traded in, and the dealer accidentally on purpose lost the remote (in hopes you'd come back to them to fix it, or buy a new remote).

These cars often got towed to Firestone for repair, and being the electronics guy, the car became my problem.

Often, it was as simple as a relay in the "starter" wire near the middle or base of the steering column. The relay opened the circuit, and the car's starter wouldn't turn over when the key was turned.

I only just saw your post today. Sorry I didn't see it sooner. Could have saved you days of work. Of course, you'd have to discover that there was a security sytem in there in the first place.

Some of these systems get a lot more elaborate. I've seen them turn on parking lights, disable dome lights, and shut down engines intermittently.

I've seen systems that used car dealers install that allow the dealer to shut down your car if they don't get your payment on time. I removed one of these 3 YEARS after purchase, and the car was paid in full. The car's battery died, and the system activated. No crank - no start. It was one of my fellow employees at Firestone. There was a little coil antenna mounted under the dash pad, and a small gell cell backup battery all burried under the dash.

I worked for a NEW CAR dealership that regularly threw out the remotes on every car they got in on trade in hopes you'd come back and buy NEW remotes from them. At $100 a pop, they'd make an extra $300 after the sale with parts and programming. There was a box in a back room of the sales area full of remotes (probably 18"x 18"x 18"). There were easily 500-1000 remotes in that box.

Just remember that if you buy a used car, you have no idea whether it has remote keyless entry, or some aftermarket alarm system, that will come back and bite you in the butt some day.

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote