SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 01-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
clockwork247
clockwork247 is on a distinguished road

Default is this a good deal?

I found a 2006 redline with 130,000 miles for sale for 4000.

After inspecting the car, there's a few issue.

1) the sun roof leaks when he was in a car wash, but not rain.

2) the signal turner doesn't cancel on the left (this should be an easy replacement)

3) there's a small crack on the rear passenger door panel, apparently the body is plastic and i don't know how i can mend it. Not too big of a crack, i'm just being anal. I will probably take some electrical tape and tape it over and call it a day.

4) dome light is 1/2 broken, only 1 works.

5) i'm suspecting the rotors aren't quite good, car rumble a little when braking.

The good news, he had all the maintenance record, including the timing belt/water pump spark plugs ect... done at 120,000 miles (aka 10,000 miles ago), everything was bill for 1500 dollars.

Tires are still good.

car is very nice...

I'm suspecting all the parts to be replace will cost me:
1) 30 bucks for signal turner
2) 20 bucks for dome light
3) 100 for rotors
4) the sun roof I have to check it out, because it's been raining non stop for the last few days and his car doesn't leak, i'm suspecting it only leaks when the water is spray at it at high pressure.
5) 50 bucks for brake pads.

Should I pick it up?

According to KBB, i'm over paying it by 300, but he has all the major work done at 120,000 so i'm Ok with that, how bad are some of the issue I have described?
clockwork247 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2017, 10:40 PM   #2
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: is this a good deal?

My personal oppinon is that this sounds like a pretty good deal. The price is a little high, but then again, for what these little CUV's are 4K isn't that bad.

Add a complete fluid change (oil, transmission fluid, RDM fluid if AWD) and you'll be pretty complete.

Vue's tend to overwork the front brakes, so warping is not unheard of. I'd recommend you look at http://www.maxbrakes.com. You can get front rotors, slotted and ventelated, with ceramic pads for under $100. I've had them on the Vue for more than a year now and they are still great performers. And after having to replace the rotors and pads every 6-10 months due to warping, that is a big win. Others have also been pleased with their brake package.

The turn signal stalk and map dome light costs seem about right, and neither should be too big of a deal.

I'll leave the sun roof to someone with one in their Vue
2001 L-200 2.2l
DOB: 05/08/01 Owned: 07/01/07 to 10/30/18

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 145,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

2019 GMC Acadia (aka Saturn Outlook)
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:21 PM   #3
clockwork247

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
My personal oppinon is that this sounds like a pretty good deal. The price is a little high, but then again, for what these little CUV's are 4K isn't that bad.

Add a complete fluid change (oil, transmission fluid, RDM fluid if AWD) and you'll be pretty complete.

Vue's tend to overwork the front brakes, so warping is not unheard of. I'd recommend you look at . You can get front rotors, slotted and ventelated, with ceramic pads for under $100. I've had them on the Vue for more than a year now and they are still great performers. And after having to replace the rotors and pads every 6-10 months due to warping, that is a big win. Others have also been pleased with their brake package.

The turn signal stalk and map dome light costs seem about right, and neither should be too big of a deal.

I'll leave the sun roof to someone with one in their Vue
he also did the oil and tranny fluid at 120k miles, so I should be good on that for another 10-20k miles...

Looks like the brake is the only thing needed ASAP.

The sunroof I have look up and some one also had the same issue, apparently the seal isn't tight enough for the water pressure. I'll check it out once I get the car.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:40 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Grab it - and if you change your mind where is it?

Sunroof is easy to adjust for vertical clearance ... see thumbnail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunroof Adjust.jpg (57.7 KB, 15 views)
I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:01 PM   #5
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Yes that is a good deal, and if it's gone, I'll have my 2007 with a little more miles for sale, fully serviced but priced at $5,995.

Pics: http://www.fototime.com/inv/4940C2964DD6DA7
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:57 PM   #6
tiger862
tiger862 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

I wouldn't pay over for Vue. Prices dropping like a rock. I have a nice 06 and only wanted to give me 750 on trade in on a new Camry. I laughed at him got home and checked value and that was low end for trade in. At sale to individual at my area it is only 2500. A Red Line is 3000.
tiger862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:25 AM   #7
clockwork247

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger862 View Post
I wouldn't pay over for Vue. Prices dropping like a rock. I have a nice 06 and only wanted to give me 750 on trade in on a new Camry. I laughed at him got home and checked value and that was low end for trade in. At sale to individual at my area it is only 2500. A Red Line is 3000.
the 2.2L can't get high prices, but the 3.5L v6 being a honda engine command slightly higher prices... I mainly just wanted the honda engine since they are pretty robust and should last a while.

I did paid 4k for the car... I know I over paid a little, but it's ok, he had a good set of tire on that had alot of life left, and did all the major maintainance at 120k miles.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:34 PM   #8
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nice

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork247 View Post
the 2.2L can't get high prices, but the 3.5L v6 being a honda engine command slightly higher prices... I mainly just wanted the honda engine since they are pretty robust and should last a while.

I did paid 4k for the car... I know I over paid a little, but it's ok, he had a good set of tire on that had alot of life left, and did all the major maintainance at 120k miles.
That's a good deal IMO. Really good.
Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:38 AM   #9
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member
Partymmudasti is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

The moonroof leaking could also be the drain tubes, which fall off over time. Happened to my 03. Pop off the A-pillar trim, pull down the headliner a bit, and I put zip ties on the drain hoses so it wont happen again.
Partymmudasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:55 AM   #10
pocomenomosso
pocomenomosso is a jewel in the roughpocomenomosso is a jewel in the roughpocomenomosso is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L

The turn signal cancellation mechanism may be part of the clock spring assembly, in which case you'd have to undo your air bag and pull off the steering wheel and hope you have everything back again the right orientaion so that you don't break your clock spring.

I could be wrong. If I am, let me know. Mine don't work either, both directions.

I always hated the cancellation but I can definitely appreciate it now..
pocomenomosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:52 AM   #11
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

That's an OK price for one that's already had the timing belt service done and is in decent shape. The sunroof drains are either blocked with dirt or, as someone else mentioned, the drain tubes slipped off.

I don't think I'd ever buy another one, but they are relatively easy on the maintenance budget and were a decent value back when they were new. Parts are still plentiful and relatively cheap. Replacing the door skin is easy. Just get a new one, paint it yourself, and it bolts on in a couple of minutes. The brakes are easy and cheap. The turn signal might turn out to be a pain if, as someone else already mentioned, you have to disassemble everything down to the clockspring. I've never had one of those apart so I don't have any first-hand knowledge there.

Good luck!
---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocomenomosso View Post
The turn signal cancellation mechanism may be part of the clock spring assembly, in which case you'd have to undo your air bag and pull off the steering wheel and hope you have everything back again the right orientaion so that you don't break your clock spring.

I could be wrong. If I am, let me know. Mine don't work either, both directions.

I always hated the cancellation but I can definitely appreciate it now..
Failure for turn signals to cancel is almost always caused by the stalk assembly.

I've attached a couple of thumbnails with amateurish explanations of relationship between the lighting stalk and steering column.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turn Stalk Description.jpg (169.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Steering Column Notch.jpg (180.9 KB, 8 views)
I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:57 PM   #13
clockwork247

Took it to a local shop

Had 2 rear shock replaced.
2 front brake and rotors
Tranny fluid changed
Oil changed.

Total billed 500. I got screwed a little on this one. Could have done this myself and save 200 bucks.

The sun roof doesn't leaked. It had been raining for almost a week and no leaks. I suspect it only leak because of the car wash water pressure.

I will update on the turn signal. My signal switch is definitely not in good shape. Its super loose and unstable. Placed an order for a replacement. I manage to open up the plastic cover and disassembled the unit. Definitely a lot of play. About 80 percent sure it's the switch.

Last item on the list is the front strut and rear drum brake. It still in good shape but I can see potential money burner down the road with these 2 items.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:26 AM   #14
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Last item on the list is the front strut and rear drum brake. It still in good shape but I can see potential money burner down the road with these 2 items.
Just replaced struts. Monroes $100/pair shipped from Rock Auto. Shipping was only $8 which must have been an error. Also spent another $25 for upper mounts but the ones in the car looked just fine. Took 3 or 4 hours total.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:07 AM   #15
mlc5
mlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the rough

I don't think 500 is a bad price...

1) shocks cost around $80 a pair if you buy them yourself.. so with normal markup and installation from a shop.. I would think around 200 for that job.. assuming an hour for labor
2) Rotors and Pads will run between $125 -150 for avg components. So add another hour labor there.. and you're in the 200 -250 range
3) tranny fluid change.. assuming they did a single drain and fill, would be the cost of 5 quarts (around $45) plus labor.. so maybe $100 or so total
4) oil change.. would run around 50 for parts with a filter.. plus labor..

all in all.. i think a very fair price...
mlc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #16
flyingj
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Tranny fluid changed
Did they use the Honda DW1 fluid? If not, then you may want to go back and have the tranny drain and refill procedure redone.
2001 L-200 2.2l

Old 01-17-2017, 01:13 AM   #17
clockwork247

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
Did they use the Honda DW1 fluid? If not, then you may want to go back and have the tranny drain and refill procedure redone.
I can only assume they did, it's a honda/toyota specialized shop, I hope they know. I also made sure they did a drain and fill instead of a flush.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #18
flyingj
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Ah, great! With it being a "local shop" it can sometimes be a gamble on what their knowledge is for vehicle special needs. Even good local shops make mistakes. Knowing that they are aware it is a Honda tranny, I wouldn't worry.
2001 L-200 2.2l