SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2000, 06:12 PM   #1
rogerk
rogerk is on a distinguished road

Default coolant

The manual to my 95 states that the coolant should be an ethylene glycol non phosphate coolant. The last time I checked out prestone and several other brands, they contained phosphates. So I went to the dealer and bought it there. But, the price was around $16 which I thought was high since coolant can be purchased at a parts store much cheaper. I wrote to Saturn and asked who made their coolant, but they would not tell. Not a nice way to treat a fellow family member. Where I can purchase a non phosphate ethylene glycol (green) coolant with out paying $16 a gallon at the dealer?
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2000, 08:02 PM   #2
Saturnmeister
Saturnmeister is on a distinguished road

There are non-phosphate coolants available in department store auto sections and auto parts stores. Regular Prestone is no good, but they might have a non-phosphate version in one of their extended service types. I believe the Saturn/GM extended life (pink or whatever color) is made by Texaco (Dex-Cool). Just read the labels and find one that specifies non-phosphate, and you're good to go.
Old 09-07-2000, 07:44 AM   #3
Eddie
Eddie is on a distinguished road

What is the difference between phosphate and non-phosphate? What effect would phosphate coolant have on the Saturns.

Just curious...

Thanks,

Eddie
Old 09-07-2000, 02:27 PM   #4
LilRedWag
LilRedWag is on a distinguished road

personally, my car uses dexcool.
on the issue of phosphates alone, per pretone:
"Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem. Typical North American coolants have contained phosphates (which is part of the corrosion inhibitor package) for many years. Therefore, the question of phosphates is a non-issue here in North America. Prestone® antifreeze/coolant is completely safe for use in both foreign and domestic vehicles. For those consumers who would feel more comfortable using a phosphate-free antifreeze, our Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 is phosphate, silicate, and borate free. This coolant uses a special chemistry and technology that extends the life of the corrosion inhibitor package so that it lasts for five years or 150,000 miles (whichever comes first), and is safe for all cars and light trucks (old or new)."
keep in mind that you cannot use orange (dexcool) in a car that use(d) green (regular) coolant - they are not interchangeable.
good luck.
Old 09-07-2000, 09:53 PM   #5
BILL
BILL is on a distinguished road

BACK IN 91 SATURN HAD A SCARE WITH FACTORY COOLANT BEING POSSIBLY UNSAFE FOR THE ALUMINUM BLOCKS. THEY USED TEXACO AND LATER FOUND IT NOT TO HAVE BEEN HARMFUL.MOST BRANDS SAY LOW PHOSPHATE BUT DO NOT GIVE SPECIFICS ON HOW LOW. SATURN RETAILER COOLANT IS KNOWN TO BE LOW (WITHIN SPECS). I HAVE USED QUAKERSTATE COOLANT FOR YEARS AND IT STATES TO BE LOW PHOSPHATE. IT HAS NEVER SHOWN ANY SIGNS OF TROUBLE. THERE ARE TOO MANY ALUMINUM ENGINES OUT THERE TODAY. GO WITH LOW PHOSPHATE IN A NAME BRAND.
Old 09-08-2000, 02:14 PM   #6
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Another tip: rather than using tap water from the garden hose when replacing coolant, I suggest using demineralized water. I use it to clear out the old coolant, when replacing coolant, and when preparing a 50/50 mix with antifreeze for topping off. Demineralized water can be purchased at the supermarket by the gallon for about 75 cents per jug.

My 1993 SL2 has always used the green antifreeze. I've stuck with Prestone. The label says that it is safe with aluminum engines.
Closed Thread