SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
jedw63
jedw63 is on a distinguished road

Default 1994 sc2 speedometer/ instrument panel not working

HELP, my 94 sc2 speedometer has not worked for the last 2 years the vss was replaced before i bought the car, i checked the power to the vss as per the haynes and had none. After checking online i replaced the pcm with a used one (the #'s matched) got nothing. After finding another post i unplugged the passive restraint system module and still no luck. Now I have only the temp gauge and gas gauge working, no idiot lights, no tac nada.
any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jedw63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jedw63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jedw63 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2
Default Re: 1994 sc2 speedometer/ instrument panel not working

Did you check the electrical connection on the back of the cluster? Thats the first place I'd look. A faulty VSS, passive restraint module or PCM would not cause everything but the fuel and temp gauge to work.

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...ipcluster.html

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

If your VSS doesn't work and you have an automatic, you'll have a boatload of shifting problems. If your VSS doesn't work and you have a 5-speed, you won't be able to rev over 4000 RPM, even when moving. In either case, I reckon your SES light would eventually come on. IOW, it's probably not the VSS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
If your VSS doesn't work and you have a 5-speed, you won't be able to rev over 4000 RPM, even when moving.
Actually, my brother drove around for months with his VSS disconnected on his 2001 SC2 (manual). We wont talk about why

His rev limiter still worked and the car drove fine. The speedometer just didnt work and I believe he had a SES light.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
jedw63
jedw63 is on a distinguished road

i checked the plug on the back of the gauges seems in ok. when i first started trying to fix this the only issues wher the speedometer/odmeter not working, i've done somthing to make things worse

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jedw63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jedw63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jedw63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #6
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Sounds like a problem with the connector or the cluster itself.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
moocow212559
moocow212559 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

i had ths same problem. it ended up being a burned out cluster. a wire in the plastic grid on the back of the cluster(i forget what the technical term is) was fried up. putting pressure in certin places would make it work for a few minutes but i ended up just replaced the cluster for a cheap $10 find at the boneyard it was on a 94 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moocow212559's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moocow212559 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
moocow212559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:32 AM   #8
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Is your odometer working too? Or have you not been able to keep track of Mileage?

It may be likely that the Circuit Film that is on the back of the cluster may be completely shot, or the pin connectors may have gone bad that operate the speedometer and odometer, since eveything is communicated to the cluster via electronic impulses....

There is the very large 2 X 1 Electronic Connector that you disconnect initially to get the cluster out of the car, and then with the circuit film, there are two pin connectors actually built into the circuit film itself that control the speedometer gauge, and the odometer gearbox.

Maybe see if you can get a cluster from a junkyard for $10 or $20...See if you can change out the circuit film first from Junkyard cluster to the cluster you have in your car...if that doesn't work; then replace the cluster from your car with junkyard cluster....

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote