SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
hbelkins
hbelkins is on a distinguished road

Default Issues with traction control/stabilitrak and hybrid system in 08 Vue Green Line

Hello fellow Saturn owners.

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue Green Line that's giving me some problems.

I got the messages to service the traction control and stabilitrak when I got up to a steady speed of around 45 mph. I continued to drive the car approximately and the condition eventually cleared up and the lights went off. However, when those lights were on, I noticed the needle in the "charge/assist" gauge stayed right in the middle.

I continued to have the problem intermittently, and then the check engine light came on with a message to service the hybrid system. This condition, too, eventually went away.

However, the problems have recurred and are now constant. Sometimes the traction control light and warning will stay on when the vehicle is restarted; other times they will be off. In all cases, once the vehicle gets to a constant speed (around 45 mph) the traction control indicator light will come on if it has been off, and whether that light is on or off, I'll get a message to service the hybrid system. I had a local parts store read the code and he said something about a camshaft sensor.

I reset the system by removing a couple of fuses under the hood, but the problem recurred. The most recent time, the traction control light and the traction control/stabilitrak messages came on when I got up to about 45 mph when I left home and headed for work, but didn't get the check engine light and the hybrid message until I left work that afternoon and headed home.

Is this an inexpensive fix? The vehicle is driveable with this condition, although shifting is rough. Will replacing that camshaft sensor fix all the problems, or is the traction control stabilitrak issue one with a separate wheel speed sensor?

I appreciate any advice or suggestions. I see the sensors are not terribly expensive but I don't know how labor-intensive the project will be for a mechanic.

Last edited by hbelkins; 02-26-2014 at 07:37 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hbelkins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hbelkins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hbelkins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2
Default Re: Issues with traction control/stabilitrak and hybrid system in 08 Vue Green Line

1st replace nothing till you know what to replace..the engine/trans/hpcm(hybritd powertrain control module) and the ebcm all work together.. you need to find a place that has a can(controler area network) enabled interface code reader to get all the code from the following modules ecm/tcm/hpcm/ebcm once you have codes i can be of some help as i am a curent/active gm hybrid tec for cadillac..i would ask any shop if they can access all of thise modules 1st this is why the the auto parts store didn't look in the others or couldnt.. the ebtcm(electronis brake&traction control module is a main input to the hybrid system and used during regen brakeing.. so for example a loose hub bearing with an eratic wheel speed sensor signal comming from it will set a fault and it will cascade through out the system back to the wheel speed.. it sets a dtc the ebtcm sends a request to the ipm/ecm/ebtcm/hpcm the ipm to turn on the light,ecm to limit tourqe output to trans,tcm for trans to limit shift adapts and tourqe output,hpcm to disable hybrid input/output for the hi voltage system...by no means am i saying a wss is your problem im just giving an example.. however the fact the ebtcm is turning on the brake&traction control lamps i would be looking there 1st.. also if we want to be honest i would advise a dealer for 2 reasons.. 1st after diag you can ask the service mgr for customer assitance and they have also updated the recall on the hybrid batt& becm for some yrs.. also hybrid systems are complex and above 75% of dealer trained tec's so imagen what you will find in the indi auto shop world. bad guesses will be expensive.. good luck and if you get codes pm me

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Issues with traction control/stabilitrak and hybrid system in 08 Vue Green Line

No ABS fail light?

If yes - part of problem could be wet connections (affecting WSS and GMLAN) in rear under-body connector.

Here's thumbnail extract from GM bulletin.

PM email address if you'd like complete document (too large to post).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ABS - Hybrid.jpg (86.5 KB, 57 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
hbelkins

Nope. No ABS light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hbelkins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
hbelkins

Update on this situation: I had Advance Auto Parts read the code today when I stopped to get brake pads. The code returned was P0014 - Exhaust Camshaft Position Timing Over-Advanced (Bank 1).

He reset the system and the Check Engine light went off.

When I left there and reached a steady speed of around 50 mph on the highway, the Traction Control light came on and the Service Traction Control and Service Stabilitrak messages appeared. No Service Hybrid System message and no Check Engine light, although it should be noted that the hybrid indicator stayed constant in the middle position but the green Eco light would still activate sometimes.

I haven't tried researching that P00014 code yet, but the guy at the parts store said if the engine is still running OK and I'm not noticing any problems, it's most likely a sensor. The only issues I have noticed is rough shifting anytime the Traction Control/Stabilitrak messages have appeared.

Thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

i can help you with your code but i need your vin or engine size

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
hbelkins

VIN is 3GSCL03Z68S581625

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
hbelkins

Wanted to come back and post an update.

The issue that was triggering all the error messages -- Service Traction Control, Service Stabilitrak and Service Hybrid System -- was a bad exhaust solenoid. I had Googled the error code that had been read by the auto parts store (P0014) and got the result that it means "'B' Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advances or System Performance (Bank 1)." obd-codes.com and engine-codes.com were valuable resources.

The exhaust solenoid was not working and in addition, the intake solenoid was fouled with oil. So both solenoids were replaced, and they cost $54.51 each. Labor was $50. All this was done by a friend of mine who runs an auto repair shop about a mile and a half from me. He scanned the ECM and cleared the codes, and after being test-driven at a speed and distance sufficient to have triggered the error messages previously, everything was fixed. I'm grateful not to have had the camshaft problem others mentioned, but I did not suspect that since my engine is the four-cylinder and not the six-cylinder others mentioned.

I appreciate the efforts made to provide assistance. Turns out the bad wheel bearing and sway bar on the front right wheel cost more than the engine repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
lwatkins76
lwatkins76 is on a distinguished road

I am having the exact same issues with my Saturn Vue! What parts and numbers did you get to fix it? This has been killing me and this post is the first one that I have seen with any real answers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lwatkins76's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lwatkins76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lwatkins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #10
hbelkins

Can't remember the part numbers, but the problems were with the exhaust solenoid (wasn't working) and the intake solenoid (fouled with oil).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2015, 05:55 AM   #11
jesandjim1105
jesandjim1105 has a spectacular aura aboutjesandjim1105 has a spectacular aura about

I have a '09 Vue Hybrid with about 86k miles. The same lights and issues intermittently started happening to me last week, then yesterday the engine light and Service Hybrid System message came on. After reading your post here, I went to Advanced Auto and as the man was hooking up the code reader, I mentioned Exhaust Solenoid and he turned and looked at me and said that's what it is reading! I paid for the part ($34) and he showed me where it is to replace it. My husband took about 10 min to change it out, took a 30 mile drive and all lights and messages are off. WOO HOO!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jesandjim1105's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jesandjim1105 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jesandjim1105 is offline   Reply With Quote