SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
fatherof5
fatherof5 is on a distinguished road

Default Hybrid functionality-here today gone tomorrow then back again

Hi everyone. Some days the check engine light comes on. Other days, it stays on and everything works fine. The gauge that shows charge or assists works for a while, some times the entire trip home (20 miles in some Los Angeles traffic). Other times, it stops working and just stays in the middle position, and the green eco light stops too. The last time it stopped working was the exact instance my wife was making a critical comment about my driving. Could that really be a cause?
A couple of times, coming out of the "off" mode when stopped, I swear I hear the starter motor spinning, with a little lurching. The last time that happened, both my son and I looked at each other with a WTF was that? look.

Are there any components that may be causing the intermittent hybrid functionality? Where are they, and how to clean them up?

I will post another thread later about the sometimes hard shifts in the transmission. The wife talks trash about this car, but it is paid off. Do I just run away screaming?

It has had all of the harness replacements and two hybrid battery replacements. I don't want to get on a first name basis with the local GM service adviser. Thanks for any help!!

'99 SL2 253K miles died
'07 Vue Hybrid 177K miles at the dealer
in arbitration with GM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fatherof5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fatherof5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fatherof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
fatherof5

Default Re: Hybrid functionality-here today gone tomorrow then back again

Ok, so today the check engine light is still on, (my scanner says no error, probably because it is a specific code to the hybrid) it is about 50 degrees out, and we drive to work. The hybrid functionality last until the first stop, (less than .25 mile) and then goes away. 20 miles later I arrive in Pasadena to drop off my wife at her job. I turn off the motor and help her to unload her rolling cart. The car is off for a minute at the most. Start up, head toward the freeway, and hybrid functionality returns. There is alot of downhill on the freeway toward Burbank and my job, so I do my best to accelerate up to 70 and then coast as far as I can to get the most charge. No problems for the 15 miles to Burbank. On the way home, the light is off, and we make our 30 mile round trip with the Check engine light off, and hybrid works as designed. The transmission even shifted smoothly all day. If this wasn't my main ride to work, this would be entertaining....

'99 SL2 253K miles died
in arbitration with GM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fatherof5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #3
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

if you can get the codes set in the freeze frame/failure records i can help you navagate what will need to be done..the hybrid funtions are controlled by the hpcm(hybrid powertrain control module)if there is a major issue the hpcm will set an ses lamp and send a sevice hybrid system...my main querry is when you say you loose hybrid function are you saying it will not go into auto stop????as that is a very different issue than hybrid funtion..there are a number of things that will abort auto stop but the hybrid assit will still be working fine but you will not go into auto stop at stoplights.stopt&go traffic..pleasetry to be more specific... also see if the auto zone or local equlivalant can read the hpcm with a can enabled(controler area network) or candi(controler area network diagnostic interface) code reader...then i might be able to assit you as i am an active gm tech who is hybrid cirtified...pm me if you can get any code and we will go from there.. regards

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Strange. I would definitely recommend getting the code read. The one that is most puzzling is the behavior of the transmission. It seems that if the hybrid system is working as designed, the trans is ok, and when it isn't, the trans is wonky. That seems to point toward a hybrid control or computer issue.

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
linx3566
linx3566 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Green Line

My GL also down shifts very hard sometimes. When this happens I stop and shut the engine off, restart and all is good again. It may need one start or a few but this always gets it back to normal. No lights no codes. Just the hard shifting. When it is working right it shifts very smooth and the car is a dream to drive. I no longer worry about it as it seams to have gone away on its own. This car is very strange as sometimes all kinds of light come on and then go away. Like I said I no longer worry about it and just drive the car. When it stops for good I will get a new car but never again a GM. It is a 2007 and has 172,000 KM. I am also now living with intermittent ABS activation when I am slowing down to a stop. The brake pedal vibrates then goes away. It is intermittent in nature and the dealer could not replicate or find any codes or light. Unsolvable issue I guess. Someone told me it is the wheel sensor but unable to pin point which one....the mystery continues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to linx3566's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help linx3566 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
linx3566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:55 PM   #6
fatherof5

Hi folks. Long update with some questions at the end: by hybrid functionality, I mean going into the auto stop while not moving.
So, while driving on the freeway, all the dash lights come on, go off, and come on again. My wife, who is driving, states that this is exactly what happened twice before when the car motor totally turned off. I tell her to get out of the fast lane and start getting to the shoulder. Before we get there, sure enough, the motor turns off, turn signals, emergency lights, everything is off. Fortunately, she can still steer (no power steering of course) and we make it to the shoulder. The dealer says it needs a starter generator module. Since this is the third time experiencing the total shutdown while driving, I dont want to get it "fixed" again for $1200. Instead, we contact attorneys and try the state's consumer agency. We have too many miles for a lemon law claim, and GM says it is out of warranty. (but they will give us $1000 towards our next purchase of a GM product) So the car stays at the dealer for 7 months. Finally, they want to auction it to pay for the storage, so instead, I authorize the replacement of the control module. The 12v battery has died by now, and wont take a charge, so I bring them a new one. The car now drives, but according to the dealers email, only in gas mode, but "the Hybrid function is not working due to a failure in another module (hybrid battery disconnect module)." He claims that GM tech assist speculates that the module failed because it was sitting so long, and that it may start working if I drive around. I think he just wants it off of his lot. So, does anyone know if in fact this hybrid battery disconnect module will start working if I drive it around? Also, will the car experience further damage if I drive it without, as the dealer calls it, hybrid function, or should I just drive it off the Santa Monica pier into the ocean? I do not know if it is showing any codes. I guess I could call the dealer and ask for them.

'99 SL2 253K miles died
in arbitration with GM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2014, 12:21 AM   #7
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

does the paperwork say negative contacter?

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:08 AM   #8
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

You maybe experiencing same issue as I have due to faulty design of the battery disconnect module: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201068

If your car is not under warranty it may still qualify for help from GM towards repair if you call the GM customer care department. But it is covered under the 8 year warranty, not sure millage. Mine did not qualify due to previous collision.

Funny enough my problem sounds almost exactly like what you had. It turns out that there was nothing wrong with my generator module, it was a battery disconnect module that was not re-directing the power to charge the 12v battery, so the battery would run down and car would just die.

My scanner must have been of a newer design and I did pull out a code as you can read about in my my post. If you need any assistance on fixing this, PM me. The part can be located in saturn aura vehicles in the scrap yards if you don't wanna get a new one.

PM. I had no luck with my hybrid battery disconnect module starting to work again after sitting around for a while.

Last edited by vasy; 11-15-2014 at 02:19 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

After sitting 7 months: all diagnostic needs to be started over.
I would begin with starting the engine idle for 1 hour then drive for at least 1/2 hour to start to charge 36 volt battery. During this time check several time DTC's in all modules with tech2 or tech2win only. Then follow only the current concerns and or DTC's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:06 AM   #10
fatherof5

Well, it finally happened today...I am on a first name basis with the service manager at the dealer.

In his email reply to a couple of questions and a request for the latest codes, he starts off "Hi Jerry" I had to laugh. I do think the dealership is doing the best they can.

Anyway, the hybrid battery is apparently accepting a charge and holding it. They drove the vehicle approx. 20 miles. The only code is POACO. He identifies that as the battery disconnect module. VASY seemed to have the same problem, and was able to find a junk replacement part. The dealer offered to install the new part, harness, and fan for free. (He really wants the VUE off of his lot!) Of course, I pay over $700 for parts isn't really free installation.....
I just dont like this way of fixing things. Who is to say that after that part is replaced, another component won't "fail??"

'99 SL2 253K miles died
in arbitration with GM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2014, 01:38 AM   #11
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

I think you should take his offer to install the new (BECM) disconnect module, fan and harness.
Install only new parts! I'm sure this will cost more than you want to pay.
Note: New parts have new parts warranty that includes warranty labor (claim B) to install.
The service manager is willing to help you. If this shop doesn't fix it who will you take it to? Maybe if talk to the service MGR he may be able to talk his parts people into giving you a discount on parts cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
vasy
Advanced Member

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherof5 View Post
Well, it finally happened today...I am on a first name basis with the service manager at the dealer.

In his email reply to a couple of questions and a request for the latest codes, he starts off "Hi Jerry" I had to laugh. I do think the dealership is doing the best they can.

Anyway, the hybrid battery is apparently accepting a charge and holding it. They drove the vehicle approx. 20 miles. The only code is POACO. He identifies that as the battery disconnect module. VASY seemed to have the same problem, and was able to find a junk replacement part. The dealer offered to install the new part, harness, and fan for free. (He really wants the VUE off of his lot!) Of course, I pay over $700 for parts isn't really free installation.....
I just dont like this way of fixing things. Who is to say that after that part is replaced, another component won't "fail??"
Sorry if my answer was confusing. I meant you *may* be able to find a used one. I failed and had to buy a brand new module and harness.

Ebay dealers had module for $560 USD my GM dealer managed to get one for $540 tax-in Canadian. Wiring harness I bought new from eBay for $35. Fan I kept old, just changed the connector, 5 minutes job, no reason to pay $140 for a $5 fan. There is a flaw in the design of the original module, so as this is a known issue and there is a TSB on it, makes service easier as they know what to do and how to update the computer programming.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #13
chevyv6282
chevyv6282 is on a distinguished road

Good info thanks
Does any one have the part #s for those three parts? The control module ,harness and fan?

I am having the same loss of 12volt battery power as some of the peole who have posted. This saturn seams like a good car if I can solve this issue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chevyv6282's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chevyv6282 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chevyv6282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:51 PM   #14
vasy
Advanced Member

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyv6282 View Post
Good info thanks
Does any one have the part #s for those three parts? The control module ,harness and fan?

I am having the same loss of 12volt battery power as some of the peole who have posted. This saturn seams like a good car if I can solve this issue
Don't waste money on the fan, old one is fine, easy to either crimp on or solder the connectors, they kept the same wire color. Since this is hybrid, if should be covered under the 8 year warranty on the components, the only reason mine were not, was because of the previous accident.
But if you need the module, go to GM dealer with your VIN and they will make sure that they get the correct one for you.
Here is my write up with the service bulletin info: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201068

let me know if you need more info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation