SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2019, 12:24 AM   #1
acoolguy
acoolguy is on a distinguished road

Wrench Best mods to get 150 hp for cheap

Hello, I am a new saturn owner, and the model I have chosen is a 1998 Saturn sc2 (dohc). What is a cheap mod that will get me to 150hp? Is there any body mods that would make it look like the SCx concept car?

Thanks,
acoolguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acoolguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acoolguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2
Default Re: Best mods to get 150 hp for cheap

Hey, welcome, and I have the same car with a 5-speed.

Do you have an automatic or a 5-speed?

First things first, get all the basics right.

- NGK Spark Plugs, even if your current ones have 10,000 miles or more on them.

- Plug Wires.

- 5w-30 Syn oil & quality Filter.

- PCV Valve

- NAPA Gold or other higher flow K&N Air Filter.

- A bottle of Redline SI-1, Amsoil PI, or Techron Concentrate in a tank of gas.

Also have quality Tires, Brakes & Suspension, mandatory for control & braking.

Then see how you like it. Maybe a shot of Nitrous if you like.

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
Hey, welcome, and I have the same car with a 5-speed.

Do you have an automatic or a 5-speed?

First things first, get all the basics right.

- NGK Spark Plugs, even if your current ones have 10,000 miles or more on them.

- Plug Wires.

- 5w-30 Syn oil & quality Filter.

- PCV Valve

- NAPA Gold or other higher flow K&N Air Filter.

- A bottle of Redline SI-1, Amsoil PI, or Techron Concentrate in a tank of gas.

Also have quality Tires, Brakes & Suspension, mandatory for control & braking.

Then see how you like it. Maybe a shot of Nitrous if you like.
Out of that entire list literally the only thing that'll give him more than stock HP you dismiss

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #4
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Out of that entire list literally the only thing that'll give him more than stock HP you dismiss
Oh my... HA! You misunderstood. I KNOW those won't give him more than stock HP, LOL!!!!!

He should get it running right with normal maintenance items first, before he does anything else like Nitrous.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
ErikTande
ErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
lol this

A shot of nitrous is the cheapest, easiest way to get there. In fact, it's probably the only thing under $1500 that will get you there.

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

You're not going to hit 150 WHP w/o nitrous or forced induction on one of these unless you are willing to give up any daily driver comfort like ability to idle

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTande View Post
lol this

A shot of nitrous is the cheapest, easiest way to get there. In fact, it's probably the only thing under $1500 that will get you there.
Right, lol. Where on earth did I dismiss it? HA!

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2019, 10:27 PM   #8
acoolguy
acoolguy is on a distinguished road

I have already done a used car checklist, and checked everything on the maintenance. This has the automatic. Is there any body mods that make in look nicer? And unfortunately, nitrous is not an option.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acoolguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acoolguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:52 AM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The S-series cars were never designed for power. It's a daily driver with better than average fuel economy. Despite any hearsay in discussions, if you increase power from stock, you increase fuel consumption (more power = more fuel needed). Remember, you bought an economy car, not a ricer (that use more fuel). Trade offs. Extreme example; A Cadillac CTS-V using a Corvette 550hp supercharged engine requires 93 octane gas and gets 10-12 mpg. Even in daily driving mode. Want more power, buy a better car but expect trade offs. Anyone foolish enough to believe they can buy a 150hp car and have great fuel economy is lying. Who drives a 150 hp car in granny mode to get fuel economy when the power is there for stoplight racing or getting up to speed when entering highway on ramps? Use the power and and fuel economy dwindles. Don't use power and fuel economy may be achieved from EPA estimates.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #10
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Anyone foolish enough to believe they can buy a 150hp car and have great fuel economy is lying.
That's a blanket statement that I have to call out. The Ford Focus I picked up recently is rated at 160 HP and is tracking better mileage than my SL1 and SL2 at 31 MPG over 3K mi driven to date. My SL1 tracked at 29 MPG over 16K mi and my SL2 is tracking at 28 MPG over 21K mi. The Focus is EPA rated at 26 MPG city and 38 MPG on the highway. I'd say that is pretty fuel efficient.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 11-19-2019 at 08:47 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Oh well, I tried. And drew out at least one person to negate my statement. I stand corrected. I need reminding from time to time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Modern cars are impressive. Was looking at the 2020 Honda CRV mpg numbers not long ago.

From an older car, my 2009 Caravan with 255 hp (191k miles on it at the time) - I was pulling this mpg for most of the hwy trip, took a picture shortly after I exited the hwy and was approaching a light so my speed was dropping

It's pretty good mpg for a big box with an auto transmission (my usual hwy mileage is lower, but I can reliably pull 25-27 hwy)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Minivan MPG 2019-09-07.jpg (201.4 KB, 11 views)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:16 PM   #13
choc citysaturn
choc citysaturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

You bought a car that's over twenty years old and during it's heyday had modest aftermarket support. (SPS and SMS were my favorites) I've got a 1st gen and have gotten parts from 2nd and 3rd gens to strengthen my car. ( tie plate and antenna come to mind ). A deebs build and nitrous is the cheapest way to get there if you're financially unable to do that then your wasting everybodies time. Saturn owners are notoriously cheap. Welcome to the club.

My number one goal is to make my saturn better now than when I bought it in Dec of 1993. IMPORT FIGHTER

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to choc citysaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help choc citysaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
choc citysaturn is offline   Reply With Quote