SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is a Retailer Who Pads the Price of the SKY Violating Saturn's Pricing Philosophy?
Yes 153 84.53%
No 28 15.47%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 08:19 PM   #121
Cuhulin
Cuhulin is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Is a Retailer Who Pads the Price of the SKY Violating Saturn's Pricing Philosophy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone1082
Ok....we get the idea you dont like dealers charging over sticker.....now lets stop trolling.
The title of the thread is whether one likes a dealer who charges over sticker, so it was not trolling to demonstrate one's dislike.

Methinks that the author of the above is trying to get away with being a antisocial while not being treated like it! As one of the first posters in this thread said, you can't have it both ways. Either it's no haggle down, therefore no haggle up, or you don't have a no-haggle pricing system.

Legally, can you gouge the customers? Sure. However, it is a violation of everything Saturn has said in its history, and customers should avoid the dealerships who do it like the plague. More power to the customers who get the word out, too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cuhulin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cuhulin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2006, 04:50 PM   #122
sixthplanet
sixthplanet is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
Default Re: Is a Retailer Who Pads the Price of the SKY Violating Saturn's Pricing Philosophy?

As a consultant at a retailer, I don't really want to say whether its right or wrong, however I don't feel its worth the risk of our reputation to increase the msrp with additional dealer mark-up on a car thats going to have very few numbers in the first place. I'd like to think all Saturn retail facilities are going to sell them at the msrp, but I've already heard of others with adm's of $2k-$5k. I suppose its all up the the individual retailer, but I feel it goes against the grain of the traditional Saturn philosophy.

I suppose the last comment I wrote pretty much takes me out of the neutral state I was attempting to stay in huh?

1992 SL1 257,000 on odometer, but estimated at 270,000. Still going strong!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sixthplanet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sixthplanet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #123
between5and7
between5and7 is on a distinguished road

1993 SW1
1995 SL2

No need to be first. Wait and pay MSRP in July or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to between5and7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help between5and7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #124
SaturnPlanet
SaturnPlanet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by between5and7
No need to be first. Wait and pay MSRP in July or so.
lol, more like july of 08'. most dealers will have their entire allocations for the year ordered/pre-sold by the end of April. if you want to pay msrp, find a dealer that is doing that, but by now, your chances of getting one even at those dealerships before next year is slim.

but, if the sky was a mass production car, how many people would still want it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnPlanet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnPlanet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2006, 04:34 PM   #125
ShellJay
ShellJay is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnPlanet
but, if the sky was a mass production car, how many people would still want it?

Couldn't have said it better myself!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShellJay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShellJay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #126
Cornholio123
Cornholio123 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellJay
Couldn't have said it better myself!!
Me - I don't care how many of these are on the road with me. I love the car and can't wait to get mine. You love the car because you are charging $2995 for an unnecessary redundant alarm system that just pads your pockets because you are too scared to admit you are gouging your customers.

2004 ION Redline - Just traded in this for my new Sky.
2005 Relay 3 - My wife loves it!
2007 Sky (Midnight Blue, LSD, Upgraded Stereo, XM, Spoiler, Polished wheels) - This car is GREAT!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cornholio123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cornholio123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #127
ShellJay
ShellJay is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornholio123
Me - I don't care how many of these are on the road with me. I love the car and can't wait to get mine. You love the car because you are charging $2995 for an unnecessary redundant alarm system that just pads your pockets because you are too scared to admit you are gouging your customers.
Honey, I am not "scared" to admit it, I just don't feel that way. I love the car for what it is, GORGEOUS, BEAUTIFUL, EXCITING! Whether or not there was an add on to it, I would still love the car. I have been waiting years for this car, just like the rest of you, I just choose not to make a positive a negative................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShellJay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShellJay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #128
poppa pete
poppa pete is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

New here and here is my .02

If the retailer says it's 3K or 4k or what ever over window, period, on a car that will be ordered specifically for someone, yes - that is not following the philosophy. If the retailer is ordering cars on their own and "adding goodies" to a car that's going on the lot then not really. Yeah, it gripes me that the price gets jacked but, putting a car on the lot for a set price with dealer add-ons (which do make the retailer money) - that could still be in keeping with the "no haggle" philosophy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to poppa pete's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help poppa pete reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #129
Sky Pilot
Sky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2008 SKY Red Line
Thumbs Down Re: Is a Retailer Who Pads the Price of the SKY Violating Saturn's Pricing Philosophy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa pete
...snip... Yeah, it gripes me that the price gets jacked but, putting a car on the lot for a set price with dealer add-ons (which do make the retailer money) - that could still be in keeping with the "no haggle" philosophy.
In a cheating kind of way...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #130
poppa pete

2003 VUE 3.0L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot
In a cheating kind of way...

That's why I went with my dealer. This will be my 4th new Saturn from them. Always window, always great service. Ordered it the way I wanted at MSRP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help poppa pete reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2006, 05:34 PM   #131
poppa pete

2003 VUE 3.0L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I just read this on another forum and thought I would share - seems to fit this discussion -

A letter from Jill L. to the Saturn Retailers

"...Our brand is about building trusting, honest and forthright relationships with everyone who comes in contact with our brand.

The value proposition and the honesty with which our customers expect to be treated did not change with the introduction of the SKY. Most unfortunately, Saturn is hearing from customers who are outraged or extremely disappointed and disillusioned over the actions of some Retailers who are charging a premium for the SKY, and the press has picked up on what they describe as breach of the brand's historic promise to customers.

It is not an overstatement to say these actions threaten the future of the brand. For that reason, Saturn management fully expects that you will not market the SKY above M.S.R.P. Certainly, Retailers who advance the Saturn philosophy will receive as favorable treatment as is possible in line with our Retailer Agreement in the future allocation for the SKY....

I know I can count on you to have deep respect for what we have built together as the Saturn Brand.

Sincerely,

Jill Lajdziak
General Manager"

... sent to the all Saturn facilities through the internal website ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #132
sixthplanet
sixthplanet is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

Glad to say that we decided long before Jill L. sent that memo out to Saturn retailers not to have an addition dealer mark-up. All the sales staff was in complete agreement that went against what we believe is right and fair in a Saturn Retailer.
P.S. our first Sky went out on Wednesday, one of my guests offered him a $1000 over what he paid on the spot, but he wouldn't accept it..lol

1992 SL1 257,000 on odometer, but estimated at 270,000. Still going strong!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sixthplanet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sixthplanet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #133
Philbert
Philbert is on a distinguished road

It's a definite ethical volition against the Saturn “People first” philosophy , but they can charge above MSRP,
Saturn has asked the dealers not to, but it’s the dealerships call.
In NJ so far they are selling for MSRP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Philbert's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Philbert reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread