SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 02:22 PM   #1
Whelan
Whelan is on a distinguished road

Default just bragging (New Stereo Intalled)

Hi, all.

I just had a new in dash CD player installed to go with my 10 disc Xplod changer. Its a Sony, CDXM620. Initial cost, 399.00 on sale! So I go to Tweeter and pick one up. Then I go to a local shop and get the connectors and the lady and I are talkin about what I got. She comes out with the same one and says its 196!!!! I immediately return the other one, save 200 bucks plus she installs it for cheap bringing my new grand total to 201 dollars out the door installed. I saved 200 bucks, here are some pics from Crutchfield, I will send others of my old and new one soon :o)

[img="http://pix.crutchfield.com/products/2001/158/h158CDXM620.jpeg"]

[img="http://pix.crutchfield.com/products/2001/158/h158CDXM620-O_open.jpeg"]

[img="http://pix.crutchfield.com/products/2001/158/h158RMX110-R.jpeg"]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Whelan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Whelan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2001, 03:18 PM   #2
BobC
BobC is on a distinguished road

You have every right to brag. That's one boss unit. What model Saturn do you have|?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2001, 11:04 PM   #3
edwilson13185
Advanced Member
edwilson13185 is on a distinguished road

Whelan's got a '94 SL1, I believe.

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edwilson13185's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edwilson13185 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2001, 11:32 PM   #4
traveler
traveler is on a distinguished road

NOT to rain on your parade, as I am sure your system sounds awesome indeed. Now you are fair game for every druggy and teen out there that either wants a new stereo (free) or needs money for their habit. I gave up on fancy aftermarket (re: desireable) stereo systems that can easily be viewed from the outside of the car. There is just too much grief that goes along with owning anything nice these days, and car stereos are just one of those things that scream "Steal Me". I am quite content with the stock advanced audio that the L series came with as I upgraded the speakers to the top Kenwood separates, but that is stealth information as you would NEVER know it to look at it. The head unit works just fine thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to traveler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help traveler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2001, 01:51 AM   #5
SC2DEMON
SC2DEMON is on a distinguished road

I don't know about this particular SONY, but detatchable faces w/PIN #'s usually solve that problem.... urr, at least it put my mind at ease. Better the radio than the car!

L8r// RM
1998 WW SC2 // @ http://sc2demon.homestead.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2DEMON's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2DEMON reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2001, 06:47 AM   #6
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I was thinking of getting a new head unit, but every single one that had the features I wanted was UGLY! I want something plain and black. But, to get high-end features, you have to get something that looks like a child's spaceship toy. I sure hope my Blaupunkt Las Vegas head unit lasts for awhile. It's very clean looking, and blends into the dash very nicely.

The new receivers that look so crazy are easily spotted by theives. Even the "stealth" kind that have a plain black face when turned off (as this one seems to have) are not good theft deterrants. Car stereo buffs and theives can easily spot these type of stereos even though the face is plain black.

Mine has a detachable face, but I'm divided on that issue. I rarely detach the face, only when I take my car into the shop. However, a friend of mine got his stereo face stolen. He then had a useless CD player that he had to throw away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2001, 08:16 AM   #7
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

With detachable face plates on car stereos you have a better chance of losing the face plate than someone stealing it. I know, I lost one and it cost $$$$ to get another.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2001, 09:57 AM   #8
Whelan
Whelan is on a distinguished road

Yes, I do own a 94' SL1

And secondly the face plate is detachable but at night you look at the car and see nothing but black. Plus it comes with the usual 1 year Sony full warranty. But it does not concern me as long as I do not go wandering into Bridgeport or New Haven to often. The places I go are safe and even at school I just take the plate off and hide it in the car so I dont lose it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Whelan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Whelan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2001, 10:07 AM   #9
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

I did that too after I lost it. Like hiding money in your house. I think a lot of people know that the faceplates are in the car and probably under the seat or even .. in the Glove box? So either way there is a risk. I'd take a survey but we want to keep this a secret :-D

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2001, 03:06 PM   #10
Tenchi Masaki
Tenchi Masaki is on a distinguished road

Just get it insured. I have my stereo insured for $5,000 through my insurance company. It costs $40 extra a year. If someone wants to steal it, go ahead. I pay the small deductable and get a bran new system with new warranties and everything. I'm going to insure my L300 for $6k probably on its new system that is being put in soon (worth a lot more in stores - all hail internet prices). Hey, that's what insurance is for. You pay for it, so you might as well have it there to use especially for something like this. :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tenchi Masaki's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tenchi Masaki reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2001, 03:59 PM   #11
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

I've been looking for a new head unit for awhile and notice that more of the upper-level radios have this blackout face. That being the case, wouldn't thieves know too, and go for cars that have a 'solid' place where the radio is? Just wondering.
- Wei

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wei_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wei_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2001, 07:18 PM   #12
Phil
Advanced Member
Phil is on a distinguished road

Good point about the insurance thing. Most agents are more than happy to write policy riders like that. You may never need it, but if you do...

Just make sure your auto glass is covered as well- they will often try a "smash and grab," and usually the window glass is pricey.

BTW, I have a Pioneer in dash CD player with no detachable face, and have never had a problem. My brother had my old Aiwa unit (never buy Aiwa car audio- total junk), and somebody broke into his car one night and found they were unable to take the stereo, so they took the faceplate instead!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2001, 11:22 PM   #13
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Quote:
Phil (07-28-2001 07:18 p.m.):
(never buy Aiwa car audio- total junk)
Doh! I got my bro an Aiwa CD player for his car last year for his Bday :o( Oh well, the price was right, and he needed one. Crutchfield came to the rescue, as one of the buttons did stick. They shipped out a new unit, no problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread