SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2018, 11:20 PM   #1
killawhale
killawhale is on a distinguished road

Default Clutch bleeding issue

The car is a 2004 Ion 2 manual. I replace the clutch and the slave cylinder. Put car back together and had zero pedal i e dead pedal. Replace the master cylinder for the clutch and did bleed procedure two of which I got great pressure but now it Spitz fluid out of the bleed valve when the hydraulic line is clipped in place. What am I doing wrong? This is my daughter's car and I need to get it back on the road. Thank you for your help in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to killawhale's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help killawhale reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
killawhale is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
killawhale

Default Re: Clutch bleeding issue

So out of 22 people, nobody has any input?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help killawhale reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Don't read into the numbers of viewers because the majority may not be able to answer a post, don't care to or are casual readers. Ignore view numbers.

Are you familiar with basic hydraulic systems how they operate? The clutch master and slave systems are trouble free until its opened, similar to brake systems. Familiarity with hydraulics requires understanding how to bleed a system for replacing fluid or parts to rid system of air otherwise a soft spongy pedal occurs or the pedal falls to floor. There are several methods to bleeding clutch master/slave units with either procedures from a service manual or googling online for it. The simplest systems are clutch hydraulics with a single hydraulic line between master and slave.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
killawhale

Fdryer. I have bled brake systems and clutch systems before. The procedure is not foreign to me. I vacuum bled the system and had no air bubbles. Topped off fluid. When I pressed clutch in now, fluid comes out bleeder. Replaced o rings on hydraulic line. Possible suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Unless a member has service manual info specific to your Ion clutch bleeding procedures, I can post or email procedures. I'm not on my main pc with access to more info so I'm guessing on how your system goes together. If it's the type that holds pressure via one way valves in hoses, master, slave unit, is there any interference that prevents bleeding procedures. Simpler systems that are completely open are easier to bleed. Another problem may be gravity where air is sitting at the highest point in the system and can't be bled unless the assembly is jockeyed around to move stuck air. I'll try posting info later this afternoon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
killawhale

Thank you. The I read online was to pull 15 to 20 lb of vacuum pressure at the bleeder port on the slave cylinder above the bellhousing. with the pedal depressed to the floor Slide the hydraulic hose slightly out to open the bleeder port and that was the way I bled the system. Never done a clutch system like this. Normally it has a bleeder valve you can open and close with a wrench

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2018, 06:05 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Cutting to the chase as far as descriptions;

With the depression of the clutch pedal, the clutch master cylinder becomes pressurized from the force of the push rod into the master cylinder. This forces hydraulic fluid into the tubing from the master cylinder to the actuator cylinder. The actuator cylinder then pushes the release bearing into the diaphragm spring to disengage the clutch. A hole in the cowl panel accommodates the master cylinder. A quick connect coupling helps route the hydraulic tubing. The actuator cylinder is inside the transmission and on the input bearing retainer. The hydraulic control system can be replaced without having to gain access to the clutch system internal components, simply engage the quick connect coupling mounted through the transmission housing. No adjustments to the clutch system are necessary. As the clutch wears, the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir changes to compensates for clear wear. A new system will have fluid in the reservoir. An electrical switch on the push rod has two functions. One function is a clutch interlock, ensuring the engine does not start unless the clutch pedal is engaged, positioned to the floor. The second function is to cut off the cruise-control system, if equipped, when the clutch pedal is engaged. Some systems may have a clutch pedal hold down assist spring. Its purpose is to keep the clutch pedal depressed. This reduces driver fatigue during stop and go traffic.

Below is a copy of the service manual procedures for clutch bleeding.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hydraulic Clutch Bleeding.pdf (116.7 KB, 9 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
killawhale

Wow. Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!