SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
DonVito86
DonVito86 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Default HVAC Problem

What's up everybody. I'm having trouble with the whole HVAC system in my 2006 Ion.

No matter what setting I have it on, it only blows out the dash vents. It originally happened over the summer, which was OK because I either have my windows down, or the A/C is fine to come out the vents. Winter time, not so much. I live in New York, so keeping the windshield fog free, keeping snow from freezing while driving, etc has been a big problem.

On top of that (I don't know for sure this is related, but it started happening at the same time, so I am suspecting so) if I have the heat or A/C on and drive for more than around 10 minutes, the car starts running rough and feels like it's going to stall whenever I'm not giving it gas. So I find myself routinely revving the engine when I am going downhill.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? I am by no means a car expert, but I have a little knowledge, and I can't figure out what this is from.

Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonVito86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonVito86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonVito86 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: HVAC Problem

You might be describing more than one problem. Something may have failed in the hvac control system and a possible main power issue. Some background history of your car and mileage is needed to determine if one or more problems are caused from lack of maintenance or overlooking simple checks.

How's the main power system? Battery, battery cables, connections, voltages (standby and with engine idling)? Does temperature control work? If you are not familiar with voltage checks, try Autozone or other auto parts store with free battery/alternator testing. Report what you find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
DonVito86
DonVito86 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Battery is brand new, cables and connections all look good. I will try to swing by AutoZone this weekend to check voltage. Temperature control does work.

The car has 128K and change on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonVito86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonVito86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonVito86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:24 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

"Everything looks good" can be deceiving. With power, all main connections should be pushed, pulled, tugged, whatever, to be sure loose connections aren't smiling at you until hand tested for loose connections. I enjoy all the heat my car can give as soon as it can in winter temps. Its not well known that heat is free since its coolant that's continually circulating with a temperature door in the hvac box modulating how much air flows thru the heater core (no coolant shut off valve). Manual hvac units use two cables, one for the temperature door and the other for mode (face, defrost, vents, floor). Semi and fully automated units may have several electric actuator motors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote