SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #41
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 07 ion water pump replacement... timing chain also?

Your car has only one cooling fan. It should run continuously whenever the a/c compressor is engaged. The fact that the compressor shuts down when the cooling fan quits coupled with the fact that the fan will run if given a shove to start it up strongly suggests a failing fan motor. IMO, it needs to be replaced. The compressor will be disengaged when the cooling fan goes off to prevent overheating.

284,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #42
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Your radiator cooling fan is definitely bad. The ECM doesn't control the speed of the fan in the Ion. It should run at full speed whenever it's running. A decent quality new fan assembly costs less than $100 and replacing it is fairly easy. You'll need to remove the air dam and the two lower radiator mounts. IIRC it took about an hour when I replaced the fan in my previous Ion.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 177K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 180K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:01 AM   #43
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
Your radiator cooling fan is definitely bad. The ECM doesn't control the speed of the fan in the Ion. It should run at full speed whenever it's running. A decent quality new fan assembly costs less than $100 and replacing it is fairly easy. You'll need to remove the air dam and the two lower radiator mounts. IIRC it took about an hour when I replaced the fan in my previous Ion.
Whats IIRC? And would i have to lift the car or have it on jack stands? All i have is the stock jack under my spare tire

Edit: if i remember correctly?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to that1man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help that1man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
that1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:24 AM   #44
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Also, would you advise against the cheapest fan assembly? I was looking at this list on rock auto. Might try and replace it myself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help that1man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2018, 04:51 AM   #45
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

You definitely want to invest in a hydraulic jack and a pair of jackstands if you intend on doing your own repairs at all. That scissor jack next to the spare tire should only be used in an emergency situation. Using it anymore than that is just asking for trouble.

You'll want the car as far off the ground as you can get it to remove the radiator fan assembly. A scissor jack definitely won't suffice here anyways.

The cheapest offering from TYC is actually the same replacement fan assembly I bought. I too was a bit skeptical because of the price difference between the TYC and other offerings. I've had good luck with other TYC parts in the past, which factored into my decision. I feel comfortable recommending it to others.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2018, 07:27 AM   #46
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Sorry, I forgot to give the link of the rockauto list

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+assembly,2181

Any one of these look like the one you purchased?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #47
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1man View Post
Sorry, I forgot to give the link of the rockauto list

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+assembly,2181

Any one of these look like the one you purchased?
I just told you I bought the TYC part. That's the brand of the least expensive offering at rockauto.com.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #48
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

If when i hit the fan and it works could that mean its something else like a motor or is the motor within the fan itself? Dont wanna purchase a fan and it turns out that something else was supposed to be replaced instead or in addition

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #49
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
I just told you I bought the TYC part. That's the brand of the least expensive offering at rockauto.com.
Hey, i found this on amazon extremely cheap!

Depo 335-55044-000 Dual Fan Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004J0SRFM..._Gs0IAbSQTVH4K

Amazon says it'll fit my car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #50
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

See next post.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 02-19-2018 at 04:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2018, 04:55 PM   #51
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The reason that the motor works after the fan blade has been pushed is because you've "loosened" the motor out of its "stuck" position. The problem is that the electric power which is supplied to it cannot overcome the fact that either the bearings, or brushes, or both, are too worn inside of the motor. It needs to be replaced. Making a fan motor function by "prodding" it with a push is abnormal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #52
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Hey, i found this on amazon extremely cheap!

Depo 335-55044-000 Dual Fan Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004J0SRFM..._Gs0IAbSQTVH4K

Amazon says it'll fit my car
Yup, I agree. That fan is supposed to be correct for your car. If you like that one go ahead and order it. I'd suggest also comparing warranties between the competing brands along with learning as much as you can about this particular supplier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #53
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
The reason that the motor works after the fan blade has been pushed is because you've "loosened" the motor out of its "stuck" position. The problem is that the electric power which is supplied to it cannot overcome the fact that either the bearings, or brushes, or both, are too worn inside of the motor. It needs to be replaced. Making a fan motor function by "prodding" it with a push is abnormal.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #54
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Any advice tips or tutorials anyone would like to share? Would be greatly appreciated. I ordered the part and some tools to attempt to replace the fan assembly myself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #55
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

I replaced my assembly fan myself. It was pretty easy! The hardest part was getting the clamp or whatever its call that holds the the 3 pin connecting wire to the fan housing loose.

Been driving fir a couple of days andcan definitely here it kicking on when the a/c is blowing now and it blows cold like it should

The fan assembly i got from amazon was only $32 but the connector had inly 2 pins so i had to return it and just got the right one from the nearest o'reilly which was like $100. Either way i still saved a little money doing it myself. Had I already had the tools to do it (jack stands and jack purchased on amazon) and the fan assembly from amazon had the 3 pins instead of 2, it would have only cost me the amount of that fan.

As for water pumps, i was looking at some on the rock auto site as i might try to replace it myself and am unsure of which one to get or if i need to get any additional parts. Can someone advise? Here's the list..

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ater+pump,2208

Should i buy anything else to replace. Not gonna bother with the chain right now in hopes that the water pump replacement will fix my problem. After all i was initiallytold thats what it was and it probably was. Just hope it hasn't gotten too bad to where it affected something else which might be the case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-07-2018, 03:01 AM   #56
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
I replaced my assembly fan myself. It was pretty easy!......Been driving [for] a couple of days and can definitely [hear] it kicking on when the a/c is blowing now and it blows cold like it should
Congratulations on the cooling fan replacement and that the A/C system is back to functioning normally! It's very necessary to have it working right and you should be proud of yourself for being able to take care of it on your own.

Quote:
As for water pumps, i was looking at some on the rock auto site as i might try to replace it myself and am unsure of which one to get or if i need to get any additional parts. Can someone advise? Here's the list..

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ater+pump,2208

Should i buy anything else to replace. Not gonna bother with the chain right now in hopes that the water pump replacement will fix my problem. After all i was initiallytold thats what it was and it probably was. Just hope it hasn't gotten too bad to where it affected something else which might be the case.
Sure, I could give you advice on replacing the water pump, but more importantly, why do you wish to replace it? Is there anything about it which is functioning abnormally? Please review post #s 10, 14, and 15. The water pump was not the cause of any problem you've been concerned with so what is to be gained with its replacement?

What does a water pump do? Exactly what its description says, it pumps water (an antifreeze and water combination) through the cooling system which also includes the heater core. That's it. It does nothing more. Unless you have a leak, or there is a bad bearing causing excessive noise to be generated from the water pump (a "humm" heard in addition to the normal engine noise), LEAVE IT ALONE, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT.

I respect rb6667 as he provides good advice and is insightful. However, I disagree with his comment in post #7 about replacing your water pump at this time. While he is correct to point out that with over 95K miles on the odometer you have had good service from the water pump, that doesn't mean it has reached the end of its service life at all. I replaced my water pump at ~176K miles. If my memory serves me correctly, there are others here in SaturnFans who have had even longer life than I have had from my factory original water pump with their ECOTEC 2.2L engines.

Nevertheless, if you really must replace your water pump and wish to do it yourself, then be aware that you're in for a job which may take about six hours, or longer, for you to do on your own. My opinion is that replacing the water pump is in an unnecessary exercise to engage in, but it's your car and you should do what makes you the most satisfied with it. Lastly, I will be happy to share my advice regarding this job if you're certain that you intend to do the replacement yourself.

For the time being, the best and easiest advice to give to you is that you check the oil at least once every two to three weeks and change it more often than is recommended by the factory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #57
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks pierrot.. the reason i assume its the water pump is because I can here like a sputter sound for like the first 15 minutes of driving after letter the car warm up. From inside the car it sounds like its coming from the rifht side of the engine where the water pump is located.

The craigslist mechanic told me he didn't think it was the water pump because there would be a rattling sound. I told him that i, beforhand mentioned a rattling sound but also mentioned it going away after an oil change. He said that would be the lifters in the value train.

Whats your (or anyones) take on that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #58
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
... the reason i assume its the water pump is because I can here like a sputter sound for like the first 15 minutes of driving after letter the car warm up. From inside the car it sounds like its coming from the rifht side of the engine where the water pump is located.
I see. I will try to be as clear as I can possibly be. A bearing, whether it be the water pump's impeller bearing or a wheel bearing, will make a "humming" noise continuously. Over time the intensity of the hum increases. It will not subside - ever.

Quote:
The craigslist mechanic told me he didn't think it was the water pump because there would be a rattling sound.
Water pumps in and of themselves do not rattle. A chain, whether a balance shaft chain (which drives an ECOTEC 2.2L engine's water pump) or timing chain, which is losing tension will rattle. In order for you to assist yourself in finding the source of the noise I would recommend that you utilize,

1) a mechanic's stethoscope http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...s/?product=325 (available in auto parts stores or on-line), or
2) a long shanked screwdriver (flat or four point, it doesn't matter) of about two feet in length (place your ear near to the handle while resting the tip against a part of the engine and listen for sounds traveling through it).

I have both items, but in this case I definitely prefer using the stethoscope. The sound, or sounds, heard will be much clearer.

Quote:
I told him that i, beforhand mentioned a rattling sound but also mentioned it going away after an oil change. He said that would be the lifters in the value train.
It is true that there is a valve lash "adjustment" on these engines and so a rattling may emanate from the cylinder head. However, adjustments in this area are made by replacing parts and not actually making a direct mechanical "adjustment" on to any part. BTW, where do you reside? What are the average daytime temps at this time of year? Cold weather can have a negative impact on the oiling of the upper valve train and result in excessive noise there until the engine is adequately warmed up.

It seems to me that the noise problem relates to one of two things (one of which can have two causes):
1) a loose chain
a) caused by a weak tensioner unable to maintain adequate pressure against the tensioner guide and/or
b) a different worn chain guide, or guides;
2) valve lash adjustment.

Last edited by pierrot; 03-07-2018 at 02:59 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2018, 11:08 PM   #59
FM3
FM3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The guy told me it wouldn't be in my best interest to repair it but it was up to me. Mentioned water in the engine/oil but i told him what the last guy told me as far as that.
Quote:
So i had my oil changed on the 18th of December last year and i don't know if I mentioned that the ruff start and cold start noise (that eventually goes away after the engine heats up while driving for a while) goes almost completely away. It gradually comes back maybe weeks later. Today i checked my oil and and it seemed there was none, at least according to the dip stick, so i put a quart in.
Quote:
The guy who last changed it said there was none in it or it was really low. When i out the quart in it the dip stick was pretty much at full from what i can tell. Earlier today i took a few drives and checked the oil and it seemed to go down a little (i think).
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
For the time being, the best and easiest advice to give to you is that you check the oil at least once every two to three weeks and change it more often than is recommended by the factory.
After all these posts, I'd be checking the engine oil every day. It's not like it's a difficult thing to do, and might prevent the engine becoming a total loss.

All the talking about potential bad head gasket, but none of the pro mechanics did a compression test? It's not a guarantee to find a bad head gasket, but it can, if it's bad. And it's always nice to know what the compression of an engine is anyway to help decide if you want to throw money at the vehicle or not.

OP can probably borrow a compression tester for free from Autozone or similar. Read up on the procedure ahead of time and could just do the test in the parking lot. Some car guys walking in and out of the store might even take an interest and help or offer advice.

Last edited by FM3; 03-18-2018 at 11:14 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FM3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FM3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #60
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM3 View Post
After all these posts, I'd be checking the engine oil every day. It's not like it's a difficult thing to do, and might prevent the engine becoming a total loss.

All the talking about potential bad head gasket, but none of the pro mechanics did a compression test? It's not a guarantee to find a bad head gasket, but it can, if it's bad. And it's always nice to know what the compression of an engine is anyway to help decide if you want to throw money at the vehicle or not.

OP can probably borrow a compression tester for free from Autozone or similar. Read up on the procedure ahead of time and could just do the test in the parking lot. Some car guys walking in and out of the store might even take an interest and help or offer advice.
does this have anything to do with the exhaust?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!