SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #1
twotall
twotall is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Default 2004 Saturn Ion-1 Fender removal

Anyone have a diagram/video of removing the fender on the first gen Ion? I'm going to replace mine from a "u-pull-it" yard and need to know how to pull it without breaking it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twotall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twotall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twotall is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 2004 Saturn Ion-1 Fender removal

fender as in the inside plastic lining in the wheel well?
also, front or rear?

the front is very simple. just got a few plastic pegs along the edge of the fender, and a 7mm bolt holding it on, along with a couple pegs under the front bumper.

as for the rear, iv never looked into removing it (never had the need to yet).

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe) {Wrecked}

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
twotall

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.st56 View Post
fender as in the inside plastic lining in the wheel well?
also, front or rear?

the front is very simple. just got a few plastic pegs along the edge of the fender, and a 7mm bolt holding it on, along with a couple pegs under the front bumper.

as for the rear, iv never looked into removing it (never had the need to yet).
It's my understanding, growing up around a few mechanics, that the front quarter panels are known colloquially as fenders while the rear quarter panels are colloquially called rear quarter panels

I'm looking at the front fender. So there are clips along the edge with a bolt under the headlight assembly? Is there a bolt behind the rocker panels like the 2nd and 3rd gen ions have?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help twotall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

ah ok.
as for quarter panel removal, you got me on that.
all I know if the removal of the bumpers, and the fender liners inside the wheel wells.
I would assume removal of the liner is required to be able to remove the quarter panel.
im not even sure if that's covered in my Haynes manual lol

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe) {Wrecked}

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #5
twotall

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Just thought I would follow up with the procedure.

You do not need to remove the internal fender liner in order to remove the front fender but you do need to detach the fender liner from the fender.

Basically here is the steps:
  1. pop hood (duh)
  2. remove headlight assembly on the side you need to remove the fender
    [**] for ease of use you can remove the wire harness from the assembly and put the assembly somewhere safe and out of the way.
  3. remove the three bolts at the top of the fender that are in plain view at the edge of the engine compartment (I think they are 10mm)
  4. remove two bolts that were previously hidden by the headlight assembly (10mm)
    [**]one is towards the outside and one towards the inside of the engine compartment
  5. remove all plastic rivets holding the inner fender liner to the fender, bumper, and rocker panel
    [**] you do not need to remove all plastic rivets holding the fender liner on, just the ones that are attaching it to the fender, bumper, and rocker panel. It will hang from the rest of the car once the fender is removed.
  6. remove the one screw/bolt holding the inner fender liner to the bumper (7-8mm)
  7. remove rocker panel
    [**]this takes removing all four plastic rivets on the bottom side of the rocker panel, opening the driver and rear passenger doors all the way, sliding the rocker panel towards the front of the vehicle until the openings line up with both doors and the clips clear their respective openings, and pulling it away from the vehicle.
  8. remove front roof trim
    [**]this takes opening the front door with a torx screwdriver (I think it was T15 or T20) in hand, remove all torx screws at the top of the door seal holding the trim in place (roughly 5 I think), and sliding the trim towards the front of the car carefully not to break the rear tab.
  9. remove bolt at the top that was previously hidden by the roof trim (10mm)
  10. remove 2 bolts at the bottom that were previously hidden by the rocker panel (10mm)
  11. at the front where the fender connects to the bumper, push the fender towards the car while pulling the bumper away from the fender (the bumper has about 3 loose plastic tabs holding it to the fender)

to put a fender back on just reverse the steps but put the three bolts to the edge of the engine compartment (so the fender will hang from the car) in loosely first.

Last edited by twotall; 06-18-2015 at 06:56 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
Psycho-Ions2
Psycho-Ions2 is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2003 ION-1 Sedan

Yep that was the conclusion I came to when going at this on a fender in the junkyard. Though what I did instead of pushing off the 2 plastic hook/snaps that hold the bumper to the fender, I used a 1ft. long flathead screw driver and a hammer to remove them. 2-4 taps of the hammer on each tab, and it was off all in all same end results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotall View Post
Just thought I would follow up with the procedure.

You do not need to remove the internal fender liner in order to remove the front fender but you do need to detach the fender liner from the fender.

Basically here is the steps:
  1. pop hood (duh)
  2. remove headlight assembly on the side you need to remove the fender
    [**] for ease of use you can remove the wire harness from the assembly and put the assembly somewhere safe and out of the way.
  3. remove the three bolts at the top of the fender that are in plain view at the edge of the engine compartment (I think they are 10mm)
  4. remove two bolts that were previously hidden by the headlight assembly (10mm)
    [**]one is towards the outside and one towards the inside of the engine compartment
  5. remove all plastic rivets holding the inner fender liner to the fender, bumper, and rocker panel
    [**] you do not need to remove all plastic rivets holding the fender liner on, just the ones that are attaching it to the fender, bumper, and rocker panel. It will hang from the rest of the car once the fender is removed.
  6. remove the one screw/bolt holding the inner fender liner to the bumper (7-8mm)
  7. remove rocker panel
    [**]this takes removing all four plastic rivets on the bottom side of the rocker panel, opening the driver and rear passenger doors all the way, sliding the rocker panel towards the front of the vehicle until the openings line up with both doors and the clips clear their respective openings, and pulling it away from the vehicle.
  8. remove front roof trim
    [**]this takes opening the front door with a torx screwdriver (I think it was T15 or T20) in hand, remove all torx screws at the top of the door seal holding the trim in place (roughly 5 I think), and sliding the trim towards the front of the car carefully not to break the rear tab.
  9. remove bolt at the top that was previously hidden by the roof trim (10mm)
  10. remove 2 bolts at the bottom that were previously hidden by the rocker panel (10mm)
  11. at the front where the fender connects to the bumper, push the fender towards the car while pulling the bumper away from the fender (the bumper has about 3 loose plastic tabs holding it to the fender)

to put a fender back on just reverse the steps but put the three bolts to the edge of the engine compartment (so the fender will hang from the car) in loosely first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Psycho-Ions2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Psycho-Ions2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Psycho-Ions2 is offline   Reply With Quote