SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
nickroa95
nickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Motor Mount - Auto or Manual?

I have a 2003 Saturn ION with a manual transmission that I swapped in a little over a year ago. I need to replace the top engine mount but everywhere I can find online tells me that there is a difference between the engine mounts of auto or manual equipped cars. Since my car came with the CVT, should I buy a motor mount for CVT equipped cars? Or switch over to the manual mount to match my existing transmission? I honestly can't see a difference between the two engines of each respective transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nickroa95's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nickroa95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nickroa95 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Motor Mount - Auto or Manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickroa95 View Post
I have a 2003 Saturn ION with a manual transmission that I swapped in a little over a year ago. I need to replace the top engine mount but everywhere I can find online tells me that there is a difference between the engine mounts of auto or manual equipped cars. Since my car came with the CVT, should I buy a motor mount for CVT equipped cars? Or switch over to the manual mount to match my existing transmission? I honestly can't see a difference between the two engines of each respective transmission.
According to GM's parts catalog, all Delta platform cars with the 2.2L engine use the same engine mount (p/n 25974058). It just specifies that a bracket (p/n 22689529 OR 15854396) may also need to be installed to use this mount in vehicles equipped with the 5-speed manual transmission.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 177K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 183K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:16 AM   #3
nickroa95
nickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Ah, that makes sense. So should I seek to buy this bracket? Or just buy the motor mount itself given the situation Iím in?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nickroa95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Ah, that makes sense. So should I seek to buy this bracket? Or just buy the motor mount itself given the situation Iím in?
OK, so I dug a little deeper and found out that there are actually two different engine mounts used in the Ion. One is p/n 25974058 and the other one is p/n 25974059

The difference between them is the offset engine mounting position relative to the center of the mount as seen in the pictures below.

25974058_engine_mount_offset_firewall.jpg 25974059_engine_mount_offset_radiator.jpg

25974058 (left) is offset to position the engine closer to the firewall. It is used with ALL transmissions EXCEPT the 4T45E 4-speed automatic - which was only used in 2005-2007 Ions.

25974059 (right) is offset to position the engine closer to the radiator. It is installed in 2005-2007 Ions with the 4T45E the 4-speed automatic transmission.

The bracket that the description references is the latest iteration (22693272 > 22689529 > 15854396) of the bracket that goes between the engine mount and the engine/timing cover. You probably don't need to install the newest bracket, but pictures of all three that I've found online seem to indicate that each newer one is built stronger than the one it replaced. TSBs are commonly issued when major part changes are implemented, but I couldn't find any TSBs that suggested to replace this bracket.

Last edited by ruley73; 02-07-2018 at 02:11 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
nickroa95

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Ruley,

Youíre the man! Canít thank you enough for clarifying what I thought was a nightmare to understand. Iím assuming I donít have the bracket since my ION came with the VTi transmission. After your detailed explanation, I am sure that I want to buy the most recent (& stronger) design. Now, is it the bracket that experienced the upgrade or the mount itself? If Iím not mistaken, I should buy 25974058 and 22693272 to give me the most modern and updated style mount for the 5-speed manual transmission I am currently equipped with. Correct? Thanks a bunch for the help!

- Nick

Last edited by nickroa95; 02-07-2018 at 05:53 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #6
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Ruley,

Youíre the man! Canít thank you enough for clarifying what I thought was a nightmare to understand. Iím assuming I donít have the bracket since my ION came with the VTi transmission. After your detailed explanation, I am sure that I want to buy the most recent (& stronger) design. Now, is it the bracket that experienced the upgrade or the mount itself? If Iím not mistaken, I should buy 25974058 and 22693272 to give me the most modern and updated style mount for the 5-speed manual transmission I am currently equipped with. Correct? Thanks a bunch for the help!

- Nick
The bracket is what was updated, and 15854396 is the newest part number. The only thing that might be different that would make the older bracket not compatible with the new mount (25974058) is the height as far as I can tell. I don't have a way to confirm this though. The AC Delco listing for the mount on rockauto.com doesn't specify that the newer bracket is necessary. AC Delco is usually very good about mentioning compatibility details that are often overlooked, so this is a trustworthy omission IMO.

The mount has also had multiple part number changes over the years, but I believe it's because of supplier/manufacturer changes rather than actual design changes. 25974058 is the current part number for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #7
nickroa95

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Gotcha. Iíll go ahead & buy the mount you mentioned. Even though ACDelco doesnít declare a compatibility with a certain bracket, in your opinion should I opt to replace my bracket too or simply keep my existing one? My ION currently bucks when idling. The idle speed does NOT change, however. You just feel a few rumbles here and there while idling. It is not consistent. Iím guessing the main motor mount because itís the only mount that wasnít replaced when I did the tranny swap. I just want to make sure my bracket isnít to blame for the bucking/shaking of the engine at idle. My brotherís ION does the same thing but his is the aisin 5 speed auto. I was going to conclude that all ecotecs did this until sitting in my dadís VUE - which does not do that. The final question should be - new bracket or keep the old bracket?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #8
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Gotcha. Iíll go ahead & buy the mount you mentioned. Even though ACDelco doesnít declare a compatibility with a certain bracket, in your opinion should I opt to replace my bracket too or simply keep my existing one? My ION currently bucks when idling. The idle speed does NOT change, however. You just feel a few rumbles here and there while idling. It is not consistent. Iím guessing the main motor mount because itís the only mount that wasnít replaced when I did the tranny swap. I just want to make sure my bracket isnít to blame for the bucking/shaking of the engine at idle. My brotherís ION does the same thing but his is the aisin 5 speed auto. I was going to conclude that all ecotecs did this until sitting in my dadís VUE - which does not do that. The final question should be - new bracket or keep the old bracket?
Keep the old bracket.

AC Delco doesn't specifically mention that upgrading to the new bracket is required. In other words, they are confirming it is compatible by saying nothing at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #9
nickroa95

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Sounds good ruley, thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!