SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
Urbanrover
Urbanrover is on a distinguished road

Post Odometer Mileage Display

I recently purchased an L-Series instrument cluster to fix a lighting problem that later basically fixed itself. Yesterday I was replacing the dash panel in my L200 wagon and decided to plug up the spare instrument cluster to make sure it worked. Everything was fine except the odometer. It did not light fully and displayed the mileage that the original cluster has. My Question: Is the vehicle mileage stored in the engine computer so that changing clusters makes no difference? Curious in Alabama.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Urbanrover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Urbanrover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Urbanrover is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Odometer Mileage Display

I believe it's logged by the BCM, so changing the cluster shouldn't affect it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:08 AM   #3
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

It is stored in the BCM and the PCM. To help stop digital odometer fraud..

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:17 AM   #4
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

I think with the digital odometers the mileage should change to what the car has on it that you are putting it into.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:34 AM   #5
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnManiac
I think with the digital odometers the mileage should change to what the car has on it that you are putting it into.
It does. It isnt stored in the cluster, it is stored in the computer.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #6
swzine
Advanced Member
swzine is on a distinguished road

I'm glad someone posted this because I have a spare cluster I wanted to sell on Ebay. I assumed it reads the mileage from the vehicle but wasn't sure. I didn't want to sell it without knowing the mileage or knowing for a fact that the car passes the number through. I had bought it because I had cracked the clear plastic on top of the cluster. It was cheaper to buy a cluster with the clear cover on ebay than it would have been to just replace the cover.

"God Bless America, and no Place Else!"
-Head of State movie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swzine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swzine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
swzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
joey4rmhialeah
joey4rmhialeah is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: Odometer Mileage Display

well i recently bought a cluster and i changed it into my saturn ion 2003 sedan (manual) and it reads on the cluster vehicle service i know that there is nothing wrong with my car the reason i changed the cluster was cause the one i had on it before i was trying to change the color of the bulbs and i screwed around and basically ruined the cluster so i bought a new one. the damn dealer is trying to charge me money just to look at it and i know its simple cause i was lucky enough for one of the service reps to kinda explain what to do. he said to lift the hood and take off the fuse box lid and put my key in the ignition and leave it in the on position (not with the car running) and go to the fuse box and push and hold the button in the fuse box till the light turns on. then turn the key off and turn the car on and it should fix it self the problem is that i cant find the button and now every dealer is trying to screw me. does anyone one know how to put my regular miles on my car it has like 47,000 miles and the cluster i have now has lik 79,000 thousand!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joey4rmhialeah's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joey4rmhialeah reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joey4rmhialeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
marmaduke
marmaduke is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey4rmhialeah
does anyone one know how to put my regular miles on my car it has like 47,000 miles and the cluster i have now has lik 79,000 thousand!

I have the opposite problem... My odo rolled back 40k when new BCM was put in. I am saving the bloody invoice since I am positive Car fax report will scream odo rollback.. Saturn should get an earful as it was the dealer nonetheless who was responsible for it. Anyways, side casualty is my loss of seeing the odo turning those high miles.. hmm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marmaduke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marmaduke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marmaduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
m1super90
m1super90 will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default I need to update my odometer mileage

My 2003 V6 Vue's BCM failed and a replacement was obtained from someone on ebay who supplies used BCM's programmed to the vehicle's configuration.

However, I noticed the odometer now reads 55k miles fewer than before. I know this sounds like a good thing but I plan to keep this car permanently and, while doing the bit of mental math isn't hard, I'd like to just see the actual mileage when I look at the odometer.

I have a Tech 2. Is there a way I can increase the odometer reading?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m1super90's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m1super90 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m1super90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #10
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: I need to update my odometer mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1super90 View Post
My 2003 V6 Vue's BCM failed and a replacement was obtained from someone on ebay who supplies used BCM's programmed to the vehicle's configuration.

However, I noticed the odometer now reads 55k miles fewer than before. I know this sounds like a good thing but I plan to keep this car permanently and, while doing the bit of mental math isn't hard, I'd like to just see the actual mileage when I look at the odometer.

I have a Tech 2. Is there a way I can increase the odometer reading?
Wrong posting to wrong forum and this is 2006 posting. You also need to post and reply to the right forum this is for L-series not vue models.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #11
m1super90
m1super90 will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: I need to update my odometer mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
Wrong posting to wrong forum and this is 2006 posting. You also need to post and reply to the right forum this is for L-series not vue models.
Sorry about that. I found this topic by search and didn't think to look at which forum it as under. I've reposted to the Vue one. I can't seem to delete the one here though. Appreciate the heads-up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m1super90's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m1super90 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m1super90 is offline   Reply With Quote