SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
gehrhardt
gehrhardt is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Turn signal switch replacement

I have a 98 SL2 that decided it would start self-destructing on me on a road trip this weekend. The muffler detached itself from the exhaust pipe 450km from home, but that was the least of my problems.

Also a long distance from home, I could smell a burning electrical smell. We got to our hotel and when we returned to the car, I could see smoke rising from the steering column. I noticed that the blue high beam indicator would light up without the high beams being turned on as well.

I had posted on this site a while back about the car blowing signal light fuses frequently. It turns out I ran out of 10A fuses and put a 15A one in there as a temporary thing until I got some more. I forgot about it (stupid me) and now I assume the wires shorted and caused the smoke. I have since pulled the fuse and of course, the problem went away (along with my signal lights).

It was not a pleasant drive home for 5 hours with no turn signals or muffler.

Has anyone ever tried to replace the turn signal stalk on a 2nd Gen S-series? I assume I will need to remove the steering wheel to get at the column.

Any help would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gehrhardt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gehrhardt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gehrhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Turn signal switch replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
now I assume the wires shorted and caused the smoke.
Never, ever ASSume. Find out what the problem is, then find out how to fix it, not the other way around. And yes, if the turn signal switch does check out bad, the steering wheel will have to be removed to replace it, which is the hardest part of the job.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Turn signal switch replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
And yes, if the turn signal switch does check out bad, the steering wheel will have to be removed to replace it, which is the second hardest part of the job.
Fixed. Your generation of wheel will come off with just about any generic steering wheel puller. The honestly trickier thing will be removing the column covers. That requires either a 5.5mm (or suitable fractional equivalent) nut driver, or a 5.5mm (or equiv) socket with its outer wall shaved down to fit in the holes.

Oh, and it's not just the stalk. All the switches on the column (except the ignition switch) are on one assembly -- the Lever Combination Switch. Same amount of work, fortunately. Dealer part will cost you more than an Illinois political bribe; try http://www.car-part.com for a salvage part (or check our Classifieds). This is assuming, of course, that the switch is the cause of the issue, and not an effect of some issue elsewhere.

Don't forget to disable the air bags before you remove the wheel. Pull the AIR BAG fuse and wait 30 minutes for the capacitor to discharge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote