SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
bj6395
bj6395 has a spectacular aura aboutbj6395 has a spectacular aura about

Default Replacing turn signal switch?

Does anyone have experience with replacing turn signal switch? If I gave a left turn signal 30% of chance the switch will not reset it self, so I have to manually pull it back.

I searched the internet it seems to be a $58 part, I hope the replacement process is not that hard as well.

Mine is a 08 XE.

Any input is highly appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bj6395's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bj6395 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bj6395 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: Replacing turn signal switch?

It's cheaper at amazon for the oem AC/Delco switch. Easy DIY. There might be a how-to at Autozone.com or I very highly recommend getting the Chilton's manual for Pontiac G6. It's virtually the same car underneath the superficial stuff. They never made a book for the Aura.

http://www.amazon.com/Chilton-28730-...ons+Pontiac+G6

Last edited by greenman; 09-22-2012 at 12:50 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
bj6395

Thanks greenman for your info. Autozone.com instruction says steering wheel has to be removed to access the switch. I'll have to look into it see if I can get this done myself...

Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bj6395 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj6395 View Post
Thanks greenman for your info. Autozone.com instruction says steering wheel has to be removed to access the switch. I'll have to look into it see if I can get this done myself...

Thanks again!
Steering wheel is not removed. Just lower & upper covers. You'll be surprised how easy this job is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
GeoPappas
GeoPappas is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

The turn signal on my 2007 Saturn Aura XE was not cancelling automatically, so I bought a new switch and replaced it today.

It was a relatively easy job. For others that might run into this issue, here are the steps:

- Make sure that the car is turned off and the key is out of the ignition.

- The upper shroud (the plastic piece that covers the top of the steering wheel column) needs to be removed. This is held in place with a few plastic tabs. Just pull both sides upwards and it should remove very easily.

- The lower shroud (the plastic piece the covers the bottom of the steering wheel column) also needs to be removed. This is held in place by three (3) small bolts that are accessed from under the steering wheel column. Use a socket wrench w/ a 7mm socket to remove them.

- The turn signal multi switch is held in place by two plastic tabs (one on top and one on the bottom). You can use a thin screwdriver to push the tabs in and simultaneously pull on the turn signal to remove it.

- There are two electrical connectors that attach to the switch. The smaller one has a tab that needs to be pushed in at the same time that it is pulled out. Once again, you can use a small screwdriver to push in the tab. The larger connector is held on buy a metallic tab that can be pulled back while pulling the cable out.

- Once you have removed the switch, replace it with the new one.

- There is a lever on the bottom left of the steering wheel column that can be used to lower or raise the steering wheel column. This can come in useful at times for this procedure.

- The installation procedure is the reverse of the removal procedure. Putting back the three small bolts that hold the lower shroud in place was the most difficult part for me. The piece doesn't line up very easily. In addition, the piece has to cover both of the switches on the steering column (there is a turn signal switch on the left side of the steering wheel column which we are discussing here, but there is also a switch on the right side of the steering wheel column). I ended up using some long (3") nails to use as guides to line up the pieces so that the bolts could be screwed back in.

- In total it took me about 5 minutes to remove everything, but then it took me about a half hour to get it back on because of the problem that I had with the aforementioned bolts. If you can line up the bolts and get them in quickly, then this is a 10-15 minute job.

- Since the steering wheel has an air bag, I wouldn't poke around too much with anything else. You wouldn't want the airbag to blow and have more issues than planned.

- The original part # for the switch is a Delco D6217E. You can find this part new on eBay for as cheap as $37 (including shipping), but they are a little hard to find. I later called AC Delco customer support and found that the part was replaced / superceded with another part. The new part # is a Delco D6253E. This part is much more easily found and can be purchased for about $25 on eBay (including shipping).

Legal disclaimer: Any repairs that you do on your car are at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any issues, problems, injuries, damage, etc. that you might cause yourself, someone else, or your car.

2007 Saturn Aura XE V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GeoPappas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GeoPappas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GeoPappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
catken
catken is on a distinguished road

Went to NAPA today for a turn signal switch. They quoted me $154.00 saying that the switch and lever came as one. Are we talking about the same thing here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to catken's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help catken reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
catken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #7
Reachgp
Reachgp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Steering wheel is not removed. Just lower & upper covers. You'll be surprised how easy this job is.
How do i remove the cover blocking the Turn signal? iv tried everything from a screwdriver to a couple different heads i have in my tool kit but nothing works! i'm getting really frustrated iv been trying this for at least 3 hours now the turn signal wont squeeze past the cover that goes above the speedometer and below the wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Reachgp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Reachgp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Reachgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #8
mmtphoto
mmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR

been a few years since i did mine but i want to say they are torx screws, use a flashlight to look at the openings on the underside of the shell that covers the steering column. I remember getting a new switch overnight from amazon (prime) for about 30 bucks and it taking me about 30-40 minutes to replace it, the worst part is getting the shell lined up again. Not a very good switch as it seemed to just go without warning, but not to awful to replace either, on a scale of 1-10, it's probably a 4 or 5.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mmtphoto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mmtphoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:32 AM   #9
Bryon Miller
Bryon Miller is on a distinguished road

My 09 Aura has a similar problem. I have to hold the turn signal lever down on the left to get it to blink. Once I let it go, signal stops blinking. Right side works as it should. Is this the same switch as above? Do they just wear out over time????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bryon Miller's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bryon Miller reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bryon Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #10
14cobbler
14cobbler is on a distinguished road

Followed instructions in this tread and it was a very easy and quick job. Replaced both switches while I was there. Thanks for the info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 14cobbler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 14cobbler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
14cobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:49 AM   #11
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I'm aware this is a double post but couldn't find this thread when I originally posted.

The original one stopped returning to the - neutral - position after ether a right or left turn. Had the dealer take care of it for me. $70 for the part, and another $200+ for the "diagnostic fee" and labor plus tax. Could've gotten the OEM part from GM direct or similar for ~$43 but the dealer wouldn't warrantee the part. Freaking highway robbery. "Punative" to no end and damn near "prohibitive". I'm incredibly disappointed the dealer does not apply the diagnostic fee towards the repair but treated as a separate fee. Makes me want to switch from GM. makes me want to switch from GM back to either Honda or Toyota. Car is 8 years old and only has 45k miles on her.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #12
bj6395

I actually donít have my Aura anymore. I bought another vehicle a year ago and didnít drive Aura at all last winter so I gave it to a friend this spring. My Aura was at 245,000km and in very good shape. My friend promised to drive it as much as he can and return it to me when he is ready for a new car. It has been running strong as far as I know.

Anyway I actually never replaced my turn signal stalk. The part has been sitting on my Amazon shopping list for 4 years. I was just lazy and got used to it. After 4 years it still sometimes doesnít cancel itself after turn but it is tolerable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #13
Nigey
Nigey is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Well, I bought a used Saturn Aura in perfect condition, only to have the center brake light stop working (I'm guessing the darn connector based on these boards) and then.... I get in the car one morning and find the auto cancel signals have stopped working. Good job I read about these on this forum before!

To confirm: this part as of January 2017 is about $30 on Amazon, and is very easy to replace (I went with the ACDelco D6253E OEM part). Really, save yourself some money and don't go to the dealer....

The bits you should know:
i. its easy, you need a small flat head screwdriver and a socket set (I think about 5-15mm, see my next point), some patience and about 5-15mins.
ii. 3 bolt screws need to be removed from the bottom clam shell of the steering column (sorry can't remember the size, just have a good selection of 5-15mm sockets)
iii. *Before* you take it apart, take a photo on your phone of both sides of where the stem switches go in, it will help you know where things go back together!
iv. remove the bottom first, it will make it easy to remove the top part. Remember the steering column adjuster lever will get slightly in the way.
v. use a small flat head screwdriver to remove the 2 snap in connectors and signal stem (one catch on the top, one catch on the bottom of the signal switch assembly. I removed the electrical connectors first, and then removed the signal stem -maybe it's easier disconnecting last, but it worked for me...
vi. when you put the new on in, make sure you have the right orientation (remember: connector sockets are at the back). Again, I connected it up once the switch was in place. I found it was easy to just push the connector in place.
vii. This is the important one I found, after 10 mins of scrambling, I realized the best way forward was to just fasten the bottom clam first -remember those photos you took? Take a look at them, put the bottom clamshell in place and screw in the screw bolts (I put in the right side one first, but not sure it made any difference). You might have to be patient, but I managed it pretty easily in minutes once I did that.
viii. put on the top clamshell, make sure its in place, snap together (had to do this twice as I noticed I had an overlap of the top clamshell initially, but was easy to do).

You're done, congratulations!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nigey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nigey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nigey is offline   Reply With Quote