SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2018, 04:28 AM   #1
djrgarcia
djrgarcia has a spectacular aura aboutdjrgarcia has a spectacular aura aboutdjrgarcia has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL2
Default No spark, no crank 95 SL2

So my car isnít starting anymore. Havenít had an issue in months, itís always been turn key except for the one time I had to get under the motor and pull out the old crankshaft position sensor and resoldered a new one. Today was the first day I encountered the no crank issue. I suspect starter, I couldnít hear anything at all when I turned it over until I got under the car and gave the starter a tap. Now I can actually hear the starter click. Dead starter? I know the first thing that spins is the crank, but considering my car isnít even cranking is it the starter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djrgarcia's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djrgarcia reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djrgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2018, 05:42 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: No spark, no crank 95 SL2

Misuse of terms can be misleading when describing no-start problems. A no-start problem may describe one of two issues - turning ignition key to START with zero sounds or hearing the engine turn over (starter) but not firing up. Your descriptions seem to be zero sounds, no starter noise, engine not turning over. If this is the case, the usual steps in troubleshooting involve main power (battery, battery cables, their connections, starting circuit) and starter.

Be absolutely sure the battery is in good condition or use another battery boost and ensure both battery cables are clean and free of corrosion, connected securely to battery/starter/chassis/engine block. Without ruling out the starting circuit, banging the starter with a piece of 2x4 lumber may get the starter to run. Another way is to short the starter terminals together - a wire or screwdriver across the starter battery cable terminal and smaller 'S' terminal with purple wire attached to it bypasses the ignition switch to power the starter immediately. Be aware of starter operation while under the car - leave ignition OFF to prevent engine running as you're only interested in testing the starter. Some sparks will occur since the starter solenoid draws a few amps. If the starter doesn't run or make loud clicking noises, replace it.

There are no bench testing methods for starters despite some claiming so. Unless you're willing to disassemble one to learn how they wear out, the easiest ways of troubleshooting tends to separate starter issues from power problems. It also helps if a history of this car is listed, specifically if this starter is original or not and how many miles or years on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote