SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Anyone replace brake pads - abnormal wear

33k miles, i took the winter wheels off today, bled the brakes, and noticed that the inside pads on the rear are nearly worn (will replace with akebonos in fall), and the front pads are like new.

Anyone else notice significantly more wear on the rear pads than the fronts?

Last edited by Tom S2; 04-28-2013 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: typo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Anyone replace brake pads - abnormal wear

If it is just the inner pads worn significantly more than the outer ones then you will want to look at the caliper slides. They are likely seized/seizing.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Tom S2
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
If it is just the inner pads worn significantly more than the outer ones then you will want to look at the caliper slides. They are likely seized/seizing.
i am more interested in the fact that rears are wearing so much faster than the fronts. im used to the opposite on every other car ive owned.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Weeman
Weeman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

My rears also wear quicker. I have greased all my brakes and the calipers appear to be in good order. It may be an astra thing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Weeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Weeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
oilburner
oilburner is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Well I have 60k miles and all the pads still have more than 50% left, but the rears do seem further along than the fronts. I think that rears just drag more, something had always been wrong with my calipers. I have taken them apart and greased them before. Pads seem to leave an abnormal amount of oxidation on the rotors when sitting for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oilburner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oilburner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
Aprime
Aprime is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR

GM brakes are terrible. Just upgrade.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aprime's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aprime reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Aprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
kbg1
kbg1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

just remember to wind in the rear pistons.
they do not push in with c clamps like the front.
special gm tool or you can macguiver one up.
found out the hard way but figured it out before the pistons were damaged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kbg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kbg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kbg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Part of the reason that the rear wheel pads are wearing faster than the fronts are due to the different material types. The North American Astras all came equipped with ceramic brake pads in the front and metallic pads in the rear.
Ceramic = less brake dust, quieter, less aggressive
Metallic = more brake dust, louder, more aggressive, more abrasive and wear the discs and pad bed faster

If you want even wear, then replace everything with metallic brake pads. I would suggest AGAINST replacing the rear pads with ceramic as you want that extra bite. (E-Brake)

Last edited by phatfire6; 05-08-2013 at 05:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Tom S2
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfire6 View Post
Part of the reason that the rear wheel pads are wearing faster than the fronts are due to the different material types. The North American Astras all came equipped with ceramic brake pads in the front and metallic pads in the rear.
Ceramic = less brake dust, quieter, less aggressive
Metallic = more brake dust, louder, more aggressive, more abrasive and wear the discs and pad bed faster

If you want even wear, then replace everything with metallic brake pads. I would suggest AGAINST replacing the rear pads with ceramic as you want that extra bite. (E-Brake)
Now the reason for the "conclusion" that the rears are dirtier than the front make sense.

How about the bias valving for US models? Is it the same as europe where the four pads are the same material?

We replaced the stock volvo pads in the boss' xc90 with ceramics all around, and she is happy with the performance. but, you are correct, the second set of stock volvo pads wore much quicker than the first set when i had akebonos on the front.

I think i will go with metallic when the time comes. I think the brakes are balanced, and dont want to "improve" things. thanks for the explanation. I have to wonder how much better the car wouldstop with metallics on the front. certinly a lot cheapear than a brake kit.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
C152
C152 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Hi all,

Indeed. I'm at 116 000 km (72, 500 m) and about a month ago I noticed a brake pad burning smell coming from the left rear. Touching the wheel confirmed it. Kept driving and it cooled down. A few months later, the same thing. This past weekend, I was driving back from Plattsburgh, NY and it felt that I needed to press on the gas a little too much to maintain speed, a quick check on the avg. consumption confirmed something was amiss. By the time I got to the Canadian border, some smoke and that smell was the definitive proof. After crossing the border the brakes loosened up and with normal fuel consumption. I was scheduled to have the timing belt changed and the garage told me the rear pads and discs were finished.

I guess it's my fault, they told me I should have already had my sliders greased. Looking at the pads I could see one side was more used than the other. I'm still on the original front pads, though.

Kind Regards,
C152
2008 Saturn 5dr XE (Opelized) Astra
2008 Saturn 3dr XR (to be Opelized) - OK, it's my daughter's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C152's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C152 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
C152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

When I replaced mine at 100,000km the rear interior pads were shot and the rotors were grooved beyond repair so I needed new rotors and pads. Decided to do the whole car at the same time. The OEM pads on the car did not come with squealers which would have let you know that your pads were done.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas_p View Post
The OEM pads on the car did not come with squealers which would have let you know that your pads were done.
Tech at the dealer told me that today while letting me know my inside front pads are getting close @ 35k. Rotors are rusting a bit, too. They quoted $600 for parts and $250 in labor for new rotors and pads front & back.

15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3 View Post
Tech at the dealer told me that today while letting me know my inside front pads are getting close @ 35k. Rotors are rusting a bit, too. They quoted $600 for parts and $250 in labor for new rotors and pads front & back.
Just a word of caution, my brother had the "cost effective" rotors and pads installed from GM on his astra and they are uter S**t. The OEM replacement are more in the range of 1000$ installed. I bought all EBC rotors and pads for 700, shipped and I installed them all myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #14
paulff3

What EBCs did you get? Green and slotted front? Regular in the rear? I've been looking at them, too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
nicolas_p

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

I got Red stuff pads all over and USR rotors all over as well. I had to purchase the rear rotors from LMF vauxhall, but the fronts I was able to get local.

usr1070 - front rotors and usr901 - rear rotors

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #16
CadiEldo67
CadiEldo67 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I put EBC slotted rotors on the front with EBC Red stuff all around. I loved the overall lack of brake dust and bite that these pads gave.

I can't comment on longevity as I traded the car in, but they were fantastic in the time that I had them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CadiEldo67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CadiEldo67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CadiEldo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
paulff3

I just ordered Centric High Carbon Rotors and PowerStop Z16 Caramics all around from AJUSA.

More to follow......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #18
Haps
Haps is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Just installed new Centric rear pads and rotors at 95,000km.

If anyone needs/would like a guide, let me know, and I'll do it up, I took some photos.

I highly suggest a proper rewind tool with the tabs to twist it back... I didn't have any luck with the $10 cube thing that goes on the end of a ratchet, even with two sets of hands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Haps's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Haps reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Haps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
goob
goob is on a distinguished road

I'd be interested in a write up. I'll be changing the rear brakes soon.

Thanks

08 Salsa Red Astra XR 5dr 5spd
Spt Pkg, Prem. Aud. and Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #20
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

You guys got me all paranoid. I'm sitting here with almost 70,000 miles on my car and had never changed the pads, and I was hearing a slight squealing noise when I broke hard. It was very slight, but I was looking at all the mileage everyone else was at. Figured that I should change my rear pads, and ordered a new set of pads. I attached a photo of my old pad vs. my new. I'd say I have almost 50% left. I do tend to do about 50% city driving, but I do coast to a lot of lights if I can, to keep the fuel economy up, since it's a manual.

I figure I'll change the brakes anyway. I'm almost done with the drivers side. The bolts came off easy. The slides still seem to be well greased. The calipers are a pain to get off, since the caliper doesn't compress, but I finally beat on them with a rubber mallet and got them off. Only problem that I found so far is that the 6 sided dice brake tool I picked up to wind in the caliper doesn't fit. I guess it's off to Harbor Freight in the morning to pick up a brake wind in kit with a 20% off coupon. They run about $40 before the coupon if anyone needs a caliper wind back tool set.

Also, I found this video on how to change brake pads on the Astra. It's quick and shows all the steps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzXSSVTch80. Here's a video for the front brakes and rotors from the same guys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig006EuFTpY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear brake pads.jpg (113.9 KB, 38 views)

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote