SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Cruze 6 speed swap

Has anyone here done any parts searching to see what it would take to put a 6 speed from a Cruze into our cars? I know the 1.8 is the same engine, so I'm going to assume it also has the same bellhousing pattern. The axles are a wildcard, as is the shift linkage.

Is there a thread about this elsewhere? I've searched the interwebs, but my Google-fu may be weak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
vanilla sky

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Cruze 6 speed swap

Upon deeper digging, it does seem that they are compatible. There's talk on the Aveo forums about the swap, and they have the same bellhousing pattern we have. Being GM, I doubt they changed the axles on any of this family of transmissions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
stoickiwi
stoickiwi is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla sky View Post
Upon deeper digging, it does seem that they are compatible. There's talk on the Aveo forums about the swap, and they have the same bellhousing pattern we have. Being GM, I doubt they changed the axles on any of this family of transmissions.
I'd be interested to see where this would go. Even though I have an auto and it would be a heck of a lot more work. I guess the biggest issue would be if the 6 speed is a different size and if the electronics would be able to play nicely with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stoickiwi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stoickiwi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stoickiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
vanilla sky

2008 Astra XR

That's definitely a concern of mine. I might be able to sort out a hack for it.

Of course, this whole project is dependent on me keeping the car. I'm tired of all of the rattles. About half of the time, I'm ready to punt it down the road to the next guy and save the money from payments.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla sky View Post
Being GM, I doubt they changed the axles on any of this family of transmissions.
Even if they did, a shop that specialized in drive shafts could cobble something together that was the right length and had the correct spline pattern at both ends. I remember sourcing out a couple of half-shafts maybe a decade ago for a customer with an old Citroen.

A bigger concern would be the location of the transmission mount(s), as well as clearance around the outside of the transmission with regards to the proximity of the steering gear or anything else in the vicinity.

But if someone can confirm that the 6-speed in the Cruze is the same transmission as the 6-speed that came in the OPC and VXR Astras, that should clinch it (still might need to swap a few things besides the transmission).

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:14 AM   #6
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Do you know what transmission it uses? For instance, our manual is a F17.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
vanilla sky

2008 Astra XR

It's an M32. Here's a list of what it came in, and a common problem with them.

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...Speed-Rebuilds

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
oilburner
oilburner is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

How much would you think that would improve mpg?

And for anyone that's driven a cruze is it a better box than our cars. The 5 spd isn't the worst thing in the world, but the feel is well below what I was used to prior.

Would be neater to have the 1.4 turbo and 6 spd, but that would be way more complicated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oilburner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oilburner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #9
Weeman
Weeman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

my #1 complaint about my astra is a lack of 6th gear. It generates a lot of engine noise on the highway with the rpms so high. If this is possible with a direct swap of the tranny I will buy one now... lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Weeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Weeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
vanilla sky

2008 Astra XR

Well, right now, we're trying to decide between a 6 speed swap in the Astra or trading it in for a Volt. If they do the $199 a month lease on the Volt this June, we will be buying leasing one. If they don't, we're going to more than likely be a guinea pig for the 6 speed swap. I need to make friends with a dealer tech that will let me put a new Cruize on a lift to take good pictures. Getting good pictures will help me determine if the swap can be made.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Is it a local junk yard and see if they have tranny already out, could be way easier to look.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote