SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
houstonray
houstonray is on a distinguished road

Default Check Coolant Level warning?

My Astra 5door XR is 2 months old and has 1000 miles on it. The last few days, I've randomly gotten a "check coolant level" message when I turn on the car. I checked it and it looks full. If it was low, I would think the message would come on every time I started it, but it's been maybe 3 times out of 10 starts.

Anyone else have anything odd like this?

I've also had the random 'check engine' light come on and go off, but I've read the thread about that problem and the fuel filler cap/neck.

Other than these things, I LOVE my Astra...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to houstonray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help houstonray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
houstonray is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
thrilhouse
thrilhouse is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Check Coolant Level warning?

I haven't experienced either of these (yet), but I do wish the car had a coolant temperature gauge in the instrument cluster.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thrilhouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thrilhouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thrilhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:21 AM   #3
cschmidt1956
cschmidt1956 is on a distinguished road

Might be a loose connection to the overflow tank. Look for the sensor and see if it is inserted all the way. If it looks loose and you feel up to it, remove it and re-insert it. It may just be an intermittent connection cause by a loose connector. I would check that before taking it in. "I" would rather find that on my own than have the Dealer find it and wonder if they did anything.

Chris

2010 Chevrolet Camaro LT2/RS V6
2008 Saturn Astra XR 3 Door - Sapphire Black (Gone but NOT forgotten!)
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Brilliant Black Metallic
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS, Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cschmidt1956's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cschmidt1956 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cschmidt1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

probably a bad coolant level sensor. i would guess that the sensor is on the side of the rad. had a similar problem with my 98 gs - bad sensor.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

My wife's car has been displaying this pretty consistently for the past several days. I have checked the level, and it looks fine. No visible leaks from hoses or engine parts.

Anyone else have the same problem and diagnosed?

It would be nice if this car had a "coolant temp guage" like most cars in it's class.
What, Europeans don't believe in guages?

It would be also nice, if instead of blasting this message across the DIC, it would put it in red warning light somewhere else. No other information is reported on the DIC when this happens.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

On my S-series, the light would come on if the coolant was just slightly low. I would put less than a pint in and the light would go off. It it's all the way to the full line and still comes on, I'd have it checked out.

I was at a retailer for an oil change this weekend. They told me about a lady who has an Astra that lost its coolant while driving (hit something that punctured the radiator and condensor coils). She didn't know what the warning message meant and kept driving. $5,000 later she got a new engine. Warranty didn't cover it of course, but she filed it on her insurance.

It's good that you checked it. If it ever comes on, stop immediately and check it.

Another story was a lady in an Outlook that ignored her check engine light for three months. It went from a simple failed injector to an engine rebuild.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:57 AM   #7
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

some may call me old fashion, but i believe all cars should have a complete set on analog gauges at least for oil pressure, coolant temp, voltage. by the time an idiot light comes on, especially for oil pressure, the engine is probably cooked.
the only place on the astra to install these gauges would be on the driver's side a-pillar. autometer sells them. but what difficulties would be encountered?

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gssaturn View Post
some may call me old fashion, but i believe all cars should have a complete set on analog gauges at least for oil pressure, coolant temp, voltage. by the time an idiot light comes on, especially for oil pressure, the engine is probably cooked.
the only place on the astra to install these gauges would be on the driver's side a-pillar. autometer sells them. but what difficulties would be encountered?
I'm with ya all the way.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
vz6q1c
vz6q1c is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2007 VUE Green Line

I have the same issue in my 08 Astra XR.. For me, the check coolant displays absolutely every time that I start my car, and it occasionally randomly displays while I am driving. My car started this problem just a few days after I drove it off the lot, so I quickly approached the dealer about it, and they quickly told me it is a known problem, and that it is a software problem, and there is no fix for it yet. They also told me there is no estimated date to get a fix. I personally am very frustrated by this because I've had my car for 6 months now! How can Saturn know about this problem, and still not have a fix for it after 6 months? In fact I just had the oil changed two weeks ago, and I inquired about the check coolant problem, and they still say no fix. I just don't get it!

By the way, outside of this check coolant issue... I just love my Astra 5-speed!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vz6q1c's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vz6q1c reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vz6q1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vz6q1c View Post
I have the same issue in my 08 Astra XR.. For me, the check coolant displays absolutely every time that I start my car, and it occasionally randomly displays while I am driving. My car started this problem just a few days after I drove it off the lot, so I quickly approached the dealer about it, and they quickly told me it is a known problem, and that it is a software problem, and there is no fix for it yet. They also told me there is no estimated date to get a fix. I personally am very frustrated by this because I've had my car for 6 months now! How can Saturn know about this problem, and still not have a fix for it after 6 months? In fact I just had the oil changed two weeks ago, and I inquired about the check coolant problem, and they still say no fix. I just don't get it!

By the way, outside of this check coolant issue... I just love my Astra 5-speed!!!
Interesting.
We'll see what my retailer has to say Saturday...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Just got back from the retailer.
They checked coolant level, did pressure test, checked for leaks, checked sensor connection and found nothing wrong. The other day I had added about 6 oz. of water to the overflow bottle. Since then, the "coolant level" did not appear on the display. The service manager & I agree that it probably doesn't take too much loss of coolant to set the warning off. The design of the overflow tank leaves it to rock back and forth under the hood. It appears it is not firmly attached as other tanks are and this may add to the problem.

My advice is to check the coolant level everytime that it appears on the display. Adding a minute amount of coolant seems to cure the problem.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-25-2008, 05:56 PM   #12
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

This krap is getting irritating.

We have had it at the shop, and they can't find anything wrong.

Consistently, the "Coolant Level" display lights up the DIC. When it does, NO readout of MPG, radio station, or CD track is displayed.

Nothing can be done to correct this. Is there any way to to bypass this BS and get a readout of "WHAT RADIO STATION I AM LISTNENING TO, THE OUTSIDE TEMP, THE TIME, ETC?

Anyone else experienceing this phenmenom?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
Jet Sky
Jet Sky is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY

Iv'e just turned over 7000 miles and have not had this problem. When I was checking the oil today, I remembered this thread and was poking around the coolant reservoir.
There is a low coolant sensor entering the reservoir from the bottom, towards the front. It has two wires; brown and brown with a green stripe. My tank was filled above the "cold" level from the factory, its up to the seam in the tank. There appears to be not "hot" mark that I could see. Perhaps because the tank is under pressure and they don't want you to open when hot, to top off? I removed the cap to see if I could see what the sensor looked like inside the tank. I could not because of baffles inside the tank, to prevent sloshing and perhaps setting of bogus low coolant messages.
I don't know if the sensor is a float or what, or if it is variable or just on or off. I could look it up in some of my other GM service manuals but there is no guarantee its the same on this car. I'll try unplugging the connector and see what happens this week. If I unplug it and get no message, that may be something for you guys to try when you get the message. I'll post results later on this week.

It's funny how when the car is under warranty the dealer is reluctant to change any parts, but when it is out of warranty, they shotgun the hell outa them.

2008 Sky 5-speed triple black
2008 Astra 5-speed 3 door star silver, Leather, 18" wheels

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk266/BlackStar_1961/Astra/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jet Sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jet Sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jet Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sky View Post
Iv'e just turned over 7000 miles and have not had this problem. When I was checking the oil today, I remembered this thread and was poking around the coolant reservoir.
There is a low coolant sensor entering the reservoir from the bottom, towards the front. It has two wires; brown and brown with a green stripe. My tank was filled above the "cold" level from the factory, its up to the seam in the tank. There appears to be not "hot" mark that I could see. Perhaps because the tank is under pressure and they don't want you to open when hot, to top off? I removed the cap to see if I could see what the sensor looked like inside the tank. I could not because of baffles inside the tank, to prevent sloshing and perhaps setting of bogus low coolant messages.
I don't know if the sensor is a float or what, or if it is variable or just on or off. I could look it up in some of my other GM service manuals but there is no guarantee its the same on this car. I'll try unplugging the connector and see what happens this week. If I unplug it and get no message, that may be something for you guys to try when you get the message. I'll post results later on this week.

It's funny how when the car is under warranty the dealer is reluctant to change any parts, but when it is out of warranty, they shotgun the hell outa them.
Please, let us know your findings.

I am taking the wife's car in tomorrow for an overnite visit to the dealer. This will be the second trip there to rectify the situation.

The problem has been getting increasingly worse. The "COOLANT LEVEL" display comes on regularly. I have checked the the level,and it is even a 3/8" above the "COLD/KALT" level. So everything is cool there. What is really annoying is the fact when you have the display of:"COOLANT LEVEL", you cannot change band on the radio,switch stations or switch over to the CD player. Nor can you get any readouts from the BIC.

I'll keep everyone updated.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Just an update. I took the Astra in last week & left it overnight. Still no resoloution to the problem.
They handed me this bulletin & sent me on my way.

#PIC4886: Low Coolant Message Displayed (May 30, 2008)

The coolant level sensor calibration may be too sensitive to the coolant level. A new sensor calibration is being developed, but is not available at this time. Until the new calibration is available, a service procedure has been developed.
With the vehicle cold, raise coolant level above the cold fill line.

Breakpoints for the introduction of the new software are:
Antwerp Assembly 17-Mar-2008 W0L0AHL6785103959

Note: this situation may be exaggerated by driving the vehicle over 4000RPM for an extended period, then parking the vehicle & setting overnight. When started in the morning, a foaming condition coupled with high flow through the reservoir may cause the low coolant light to display. As the coolant is warmed, the level increase, the thermostat opens & the surge tank flow rate is substantial decreased. This will cause the issue not be present anymore & not reproducible with warm engine coolant.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2009, 01:06 AM   #16
j0n
j0n is on a distinguished road

Bumping this to the top. The same message is being shown on my XR and after a trip to the dealer they told me also that it is a software issue, and an update has still not been released.

-2008 Saturn Astra XR3 5-spd - Bone stock daily driver
-1999 Corvette FRC - 11.985 @ 115.06(1.773) - Bolt-ons

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to j0n's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help j0n reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
j0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:43 AM   #17
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0n View Post
Bumping this to the top. The same message is being shown on my XR and after a trip to the dealer they told me also that it is a software issue, and an update has still not been released.
Get in line. I was told the same.

Something tells me this issue won't be resolved at all with all the turmoil GM is going thru.

Besides, you don't need to know what radio station you are listening to,right?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #18
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

If they can't or refuse to fix it don't you have rights to lemon law it?

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:16 AM   #19
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robor007 View Post
If they can't or refuse to fix it don't you have rights to lemon law it?
I'm not sure on that. Maybe someone else can comment on that...

Besides, unless the defect, (a display of "COOLANT LEVEL" on dash) causes a safety or performance issue, would they enforce it?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #20
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post
I'm not sure on that. Maybe someone else can comment on that...

Besides, unless the defect, (a display of "COOLANT LEVEL" on dash) causes a safety or performance issue, would they enforce it?
I don't know - if it was just an idiot light or nag you can acknowledge it wouldn't be a big deal (like the turn signal bulb warning). From what you're saying it stays on the screen and doesn't go away. That's pretty crappy.

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote