SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #21
goob
goob is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Anyone replace brake pads - abnormal wear

EMG,
What brand did you go with?

08 Salsa Red Astra XR 5dr 5spd
Spt Pkg, Prem. Aud. and Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #22
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by goob View Post
EMG,
What brand did you go with?
I just stuck with oem AC Delco semi metallics . Figured they lasted pretty long with no issues for me.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #23
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

those look pretty good for 70k. maybe I was looking at the inside pads and using the bevel on the side as my marker, and not the full pad itself.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #24
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Kinda wish I took pictures of mine, because mine were toast at 100,000km but I do A LOT of spirited driving so that may have to do with why. But on the other side I do 90% highway driving

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #25
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3 View Post
I just ordered Centric High Carbon Rotors and PowerStop Z16 Caramics all around from AJUSA.

More to follow......
Had the parts listed above installed. All is well. Great braking and whisper quiet. Centric rotors appear to be a quality product. The Tech at the dealership even commented on the pads saying they were nice.

If you guys are interested in the same set-up, Ian at AJ-USA is who I worked with. They'll special order items if they don't have them. Short $$$.....

15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #26
goob

FYI:

If you're not in a hurry. Raybestos Rear Rotors for $10.95 each.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #27
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
FYI:

Nice find. I hope someone snags a set.

15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #28
oilburner
oilburner is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
FYI:

Wow good find. I had no idea amazon was starting to become competitive on something like brake rotors. I make snag everything for my car and redo all the brakes. I am getting sick of the sticking and inconsistent behavior I have gotten from the day I bought the car. Replacing rotors and pads for under 200 is well worth it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oilburner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oilburner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #29
goob

Replaced front and rear pads with EBC Red (ceramic).
The rears were shot, fronts had plenty of more miles on them.
Also replaced rear rotors with Raybestos that cost me about $16 a pair
Job was easy once I picked up a set of star sockets.
I watched the youtube videos mentioned in this thread several times and never picked up on the requirement for star sockets (my excuse: videos were made across the ocean ).
Since I just put these on yesterday, I can't comment on the performance other than they don't squeal and the brake pedal feels about the same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goob's Reputation
Old 09-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #30
oilburner

2008 Astra XR

Good call on the Amazon price. I was seeing 50% wear on the fronts, but the rotors were looking terrible and it was starting to feel bad. Once apart, the insides have worn significantly more than that outsides. Something isn't working right...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help oilburner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #31
802astraXr
802astraXr is on a distinguished road

When I changed my front pads and rotors the inner pads were basically down to the metal, and the outsides were like 25%. Maybe my slides need greasing? I'm also having the dreaded shudder while braking with all new front's and rears. One thing I noticed is that the rubber seal around the brake caliper piston was over extended and brittle due to the brakes being so worn down and the heat.

I'm wondering if that caliper is binding? There isn't any leaks...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 802astraXr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 802astraXr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
802astraXr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #32
oilburner

2008 Astra XR

Looking at it, I would have to say its just a straight bad design. I haven't seen anything like it before (although I usually stick to cars from Japan). The pads dont seem free to move enough like the rear. If your boot is destroyed you might need to be concerned, because it can seize up eventually that way. When I took mine apart the piston moved fine with a normal amount of force. The slider pins where again a strange design and not greased at all. Since there was no grease, the tips were corroded a bit, so I took all that off and regreased and they are moving great now. I am doubtful that will fix the issue, because the pads don't move right. There are no smooth caliper guides like normal brakes. The rears have these guides, but then both of those pistons required more force than I would expect.

Not very impressed with the brake design...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #33
Tom S2
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

I just paid pennies under $30 shipped for a set of powerstop 17-1362 ceramic rear pads from eBay.

I didn't go for the rotors. there is barely a groove on the outside. I will check the inside one of these days, but figure I am good for another 35k miles on the rotors.

I think the ATE super blue in the car should last another year. Unless the little princess decides she will help me bleed the brakes, then it gets replaced with off he shelf synthetic fluid.

in six years if I still have the car, and if it goes to the little princess I will change the rotors and pads for her just because I am such a nice guy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #34
Tom S2
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR
Thumbs Down I couldn't change the pads

I admit defeat. I followed both the Haynes and the video, rented the piston tool, and could not get the piston to retract.

It takes more grunt than I can do myself. The pads had plenty of meat on them (yes I am the one that started this thread). It turns out they are beveled big time on the edges, and I was looking at the bevel. still a lot of meat, and in a year or three I will try it again - as long as I have another set of hands with me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #35
oilburner

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: I couldn't change the pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S2 View Post
I admit defeat. I followed both the Haynes and the video, rented the piston tool, and could not get the piston to retract.

It takes more grunt than I can do myself. The pads had plenty of meat on them (yes I am the one that started this thread). It turns out they are beveled big time on the edges, and I was looking at the bevel. still a lot of meat, and in a year or three I will try it again - as long as I have another set of hands with me.
Well thats too bad. I used what I think was the "F" plate from the kit and the right hand threaded tool and it worked ok. It wasn't the smoothest moving caliper either. I had to wiggle it back and forth some and for some reason the pitch must be a little odd. I had to keep adjusting the thread on the plate because it was getting a little ahead of the caliper.

There was a lot of gunk that came out when I bleed the brakes to. The boot was in fine shape, but I bet that seal isn't the best.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #36
Tom S2
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

beginners mistake. rented another tool last night, and knocked out the job this morning. no drama, no error.

ignore everything I wrote in this thread before. the rear pads had plenty of life. it was the bevel that caused an optical illusion that led me to think they were worn. the bevel is all I saw.

I put ceramic pads on figuring all the electronics will automatically adjust the bias. they worked fine.

if you buy the powerstop pads don't get the kit with the clips. the don't fit. save the $3 and get just the pads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!