SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
MacDuff
MacDuff is on a distinguished road

Default Are TPMS valves required.

I have 2008 Astra and am tired of paying to have the tires switched on the rims.

Can i just buy some cheap rims with normal valves and put them on the car. How if any will this affect the TPMS in my car. Will it screw it up? or will the light just stay on annoyingly until the spring and i put the TPMS valed rims back on and reset the system?

Thomas.

I apologize if this has been covered a thousand times on here but the search engine or my terms are not working for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MacDuff's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MacDuff reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MacDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Are TPMS valves required.

Answers depends on how you view tpms. Sensors are required to allow tpms to inform you of low tire pressure. They're not mandatory unless its legislated in your part of the world. You can always choose sensor-less rims.

No sensors on new rims means the tpms panics and turns on the indicator. Until someone can come up with a wiring diagram to post for anyone to determine how to turn off tpms or at least the indicator (if possible), there is no reason for you not to go out and buy a set of rims without sensors and use them. Of course this means going back to old school ways of actually eyeballing tires for lost air or using a tire pressure gauge to check on sensor-less wheels.

I'm guessing tpms won't fail when the regular wheels (with sensors) are used again. The system may need to be calibrated again or described as synching when sensors are left off and then reintroduced like your situation and many others in your predicament.

Just be aware that sensors with batteries have a limited life between 5-10 years. Another market was created to detect whether or not sensors have died when confusion arises when tpms detects (or not) a dead sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Mac, I believe it will screw it up, but, so what...

Old school ways work , though I can see the convenience/safety aspects while driving.

. While at the gas station yesterday, I noticed a late model BMW with a flat (driver/rear) tire. A simple glance over to the next island of pumps( 15 feet or so) where we was pulled in at was all that was necessary. THe tire sidewall at the top was twice as high as it the height of the sidewall where resting on the pavement . It was also low profile tire.

I told the owner he was driving on a "may pop" as in, "that tire may pop..." (if you keep driving it under inflated ). Either the TPMS light on his car was burned out, the sensor itself in that tire defective, or any other manner of bugaboos. He was checking his oil, cleaning his windshield, windows and mirrors at the time and may have been senile as he went right back to changing his oil. Maybe he thought his BMWTPMS knew better.

If it's a hassle ,get rid of it and put a sticker over the spot on the dash where that indicator is.

It's a mandate for the manufacturer's- not end users, lest they be subject to various safety inspections that vary from state to state. I've yet to see any TPP enforcement in my region.

Maybe it's a deal buster at your local DMV if they do safety inspections that also encompass TPMS systems. I can't advise if it is or not. I've never heard of it being an issue( here).

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Just to add on the "What happens when you re-mount the tires with the TMPS". Been through this every spring when I put the all seasons back on - the system re-detects the TMPS sensors after 5-10 km of driving and the light goes off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

more and more new cars now have legal tpms with no valve sensors. just put on winter tires and they work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Don't listen to the guy saying not having sensors on during winter will break the system, it won't the only thing thats going to happen is the tpms light will always be on. Come spring just put your summer tires on and that's it, no need to get them re calibrated or adjusted. A lot of people like posting on the astra forums without knowing much about our cars.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:41 AM   #7
AstraLover
AstraLover is on a distinguished road

Ido this every year. My TPMS system always works. The moment I put t summers back on and have the pressures balanced the light goes off

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraLover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraLover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
MacDuff
MacDuff is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, That is what i thought, but the dealer isn't going to tell me that. He is trying to sell me 4 sensors. $600.00 cdn.

Thomas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MacDuff's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MacDuff reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MacDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I picked up used sensors from a salvage yard last year through www.car-part.com. I think they were about $20 each at the time. They were listed under the "sensor-chassis" category. I use them on my summer tires and rims and they have been trouble free.

My original TPMS sensors are on my OEM rims, which have my winter tires mounted on them.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
oilburner
oilburner is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
more and more new cars now have legal tpms with no valve sensors. just put on winter tires and they work.
Pretty sure the direct sensors are mandatory now. The passive systems that ran off the ABS sensors were getting very common until the regulators got involved.

The light is somewhat annoying, but I think the warning for low pressure is a bit more noticeable and having none just makes the dash light stay on and I believe it blinks always in the beginning, but I might be getting my cars confused.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oilburner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oilburner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

there are now indirect systems that meet current laws. see 2013 honda accord and many euro cars...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
oilburner
oilburner is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
there are now indirect systems that meet current laws. see 2013 honda accord and many euro cars...
I had no idea they came back. I wonder if something changed in the regulations or the automakers were able to come up with an indirect system to satisfy the regulations. Obviously there is a pretty large cost advantage for the automakers and the end consumers in using the indirection systems. Glad to see that coming back.

This article was informative, but not clear as to whats different now.
http://www.tpmsmanager.com/blog/the-...indirect-tpms/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oilburner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oilburner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #13
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

came out with system that meets current laws. much easier and cheaper for customer to use but wouldnt work as quickly and efficiently as direct does. older systems couldnt tell if all tires were low at once. they values the difference between highest and lowest. im sure this one has a start value and if any go down it lights the light just like direct.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!