SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
bdubs
bdubs is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
Default Autocross Astra?

I have a few friends that autocross a lot (miatas and bmws and crx's). Has anyone here ever autocrossed their astra? I know its not the most ideal car but i might to it once, just for kicks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bdubs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bdubs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Yellonoma
Yellonoma is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Autocross Astra?

I am going to next season, mainly because I can't use my other car because its T-bar roof (1989 Daytona Shelby).

Alittle lack of power compared to, and I think a automatic would be useless at autocross but a well driven 5-speed would do well and be a blast.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yellonoma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yellonoma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yellonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
oilburner
oilburner is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Autocross Astra?

I have twice while my main autox car was under repairs. It does pretty respectable for HS, but it is definitely not a competitive car on a national scale. Its a great first car for autox. Slower cars force you to learn how to drive better I think. The steering gives great feedback and it really doesn't understeer much for a FWD. Its definitely not worth getting another car to get into autox.

I do have a very competitive car, so bench marking my PAX with RTF unfortunately I was 3 seconds off on a ~60 second course where I would normally be in the rankings. Part of that is the Continental DWs are not the best tire for dry grip (at least a second) and with 60k miles the shocks are not at their best (maybe another?). Power is not this car's biggest problem, so much of it is lost because nothing can be put down out of the corners. The torsion beam design takes so much roll stiffness out that its all in the front. It has a really hard time keeping the weight on the inside wheel and even with the low amount of power there is plenty of one wheel tire smoke. Shocks with more aggressive rebound could prevent some of these issues. I feel it could get pretty close with some work, but not really challenge the MINIs. It would probably stay a second back and a second at the top level is huge. A second at local event can easily be gained by better driving.

Oh yeah and I have a 5 speed of course, I would imagine the auto would put a more severe decent in your chances than any of those other factors.

None of that should discourage you, it is probably the best behaved car I have ever driven on the autox course. Great for someone curious to give it a try, and use for a few years. If you really get into the sport, yeah its a bit dull versus something RWD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oilburner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oilburner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote