SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Astralicious
Astralicious is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Bittersweet, selling my Astra

I bought it new and babied the transmission, garaged it at home, paid extra to garage it during the day and keep it out of Texas summer heat.

I put seat covers, rubber mats, and a custom cut cargo liner in it.

Dynamatted the hood to reduce road noise, and the doors and hatch to reduce road noise and improve stereo quality. Upgraded the stereo with imported fascia, so it now has Bluetooth for calls and media streaming and hard wiring for iphone, aux, and USB inputs. Upgraded to awesome DB speakers. Car audio installers tremble with joy when they see/hear my setup.

Tinted the windows (legal levels, lifetime warranty).

Went through the horn recall (it still has a ten-year or lifetime warranty, I have the papers).

Maintained it religiously. The timing belt and battery have already been replaced.

Never had a real problem with it except an A/C pump, which was replaced and now works like charm.

It now has around 89,000 miles (mostly highway - DFW is all spread out) thanks to my boyfriend always living an hour away, and my job that sometimes requires me to work at more than one site on a given day. This car has been good to me and I've really enjoyed the enhancements that seemed to take soo much time and money to make back when I bought it.

So, this is my ode to the Astra. I don't know if anyone will ever appreciate it as much as I do, unless perhaps they are a stereophile as well as hatchback fan. I'm pricing it low because of the mileage but whoever gets it will get a fantastic stereo setup out of the deal.

If anyone has tips on selling these, I'd love to hear them. In regular ads on CL and AutoTrader I haven't talked up the mods too much because I'm not sure people will appreciate that I pulled all the door panels off and covered the metal with DynaMat. I have pictures of the hoodliner in my album here on the forum.

Why am I letting the Astra go? I had a ton of rebates for GM and got an unbelievable deal on a Camaro. Bigger car with smaller interior space, but it's a joy on the highways.

astralicious (adj): Having appealing or pleasant modded hatchback qualities.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astralicious's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astralicious reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astralicious is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
oilburner
oilburner is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Bittersweet, selling my Astra

Astra to Camaro is an interesting switch. Opposite ends of the spectrum there.

The hardest part of selling one has to be name recognition. Nobody really knows about the car and if they did it would probably sell easy. With that I think the best bet is just getting the car out there. I would still drive it around with a for sale sign and leave it parked in obvious locations. Something like auto trader and craigslist people are typically searching for specific cars, which barely any of those people are going to be looking for an Astra.

Have fun with the new car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oilburner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oilburner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
Astralicious
Astralicious is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

The switch - I actually went in fully intending to buy a Volt, which makes more sense. It's a nicer Astra. But things kept not working out and when I started running the numbers, the Camaro ended up being the value option, oddly. Definitely NOT an early midlife crisis.

Thanks for the tips, I hadn't thought about the recognition issue. You're right, I need to get it out more.

astralicious (adj): Having appealing or pleasant modded hatchback qualities.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astralicious's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astralicious reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astralicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Weeman
Weeman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I traded my Astra for a mustang... pony cars live on it seems lol.. I just picked mine up! Here's a picture, post a picture of yours.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Weeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Weeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:51 AM   #5
747ken
747ken is on a distinguished road

That's interesting, my a/c pump went out at 67K miles. Just got it back from the dealership today. Now I'm $1180 poorer.

I'm thinking of selling my Astra. With the exception of the a/c pump, it's been a good car without problems. But I'd like something with better gas milage. And since I'm not much of a mechanic, any future repair work would have to be done by the Chevy dealership, which I'm not thrilled about.

I've got my eye on the new design 2014 Toyota Corolla. The Eco version is reported to get 40 mpg.

I'll bookmark this thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 747ken's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 747ken reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
747ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
eneloop
eneloop is on a distinguished road

I did the switch a couple weeks ago. I bought a Solstice and sold the Astra. Sorry the XR is gone but the Solstice is sweet.

All the best
eneloop@yahoo.com

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eneloop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eneloop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eneloop is offline   Reply With Quote