SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
mudawg
mudawg is on a distinguished road

Default strut and strut mount advice needed

I got some kyb struts for 50 bucks a piece brand new for the front of my saturn vue 2002 2.2..... my question is can I buy a monroe strut mount or does it have to be a kyb and does it really matter? im assuming that I can mix and match, just trying to save a couple bucks if I can since I can get the monroe strut mount kit for about 15 bucks cheaper per side. any other suggestions lmk thanks
mudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: strut and strut mount advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudawg View Post
I got some kyb struts for 50 bucks a piece brand new for the front of my saturn vue 2002 2.2..... my question is can I buy a monroe strut mount or does it have to be a kyb and does it really matter? im assuming that I can mix and match, just trying to save a couple bucks if I can since I can get the monroe strut mount kit for about 15 bucks cheaper per side. any other suggestions lmk thanks
Get the Monroe mounts...they are the same thing as the KYBs and they will work just fine with the KYB struts
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
mudawg

sweet thanks.... I am getting sick of the clunk lol.......
Old 10-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
BexVUE
BexVUE is on a distinguished road

Where did you find the KYBs for $50 at?
2004 Black VUE Redline
2001 Ford Explorer SportTrac 4x4
2003 Suzuki Z400 Quadsport
BexVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

'02 and '03 do not use a strut 'bearing', just a strut plate with a rubber gasket like an O-ring - no moving parts. So unless the rubber has degraded, is damaged or has turned hard, you don't need new mounts. But it may not be a bad idea to get them anyway. Just don't get the ones with a bearing because they cannot be used with the early struts.
Chances are the 'clunk' is not coming from the mounts.
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
mudawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
'02 and '03 do not use a strut 'bearing', just a strut plate with a rubber gasket like an O-ring - no moving parts. So unless the rubber has degraded, is damaged or has turned hard, you don't need new mounts. But it may not be a bad idea to get them anyway. Just don't get the ones with a bearing because they cannot be used with the early struts.
Chances are the 'clunk' is not coming from the mounts.
that explains why most donít show bearing included.. thanks! it had a clunk from the sway bar links and replacing them helped a lot. it still is very noisy and it has 100k on the og suspension so I figure if im going to do, do it all at once because I donít want to have to do it again anytime soon. seems that lot of people have had issue with the mounts from what ive read.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
mudawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexVUE View Post
Where did you find the KYBs for $50 at?
a shop on ebay Item number: 180573369993, had 2 seperate auctions for 56 each shipped.... seems like a great deal from what ive seen. email the seller and see if they have more or can get more at the price if you want.... im already paid up
Old 10-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudawg View Post
that explains why most donít show bearing included.. thanks! it had a clunk from the sway bar links and replacing them helped a lot. it still is very noisy and it has 100k on the og suspension so I figure if im going to do, do it all at once because I donít want to have to do it again anytime soon. seems that lot of people have had issue with the mounts from what ive read.
When I had mine replaced I had bought mounting plates too, but the mechanic showed me how they couldn't work and I saw them side-by-side. He explained that the design of the strut with a rotating shaft made the bearing unnecessary. Evidently they changed the design starting in '04. The problem is, Monroe still shows it wrong, and everybody selling this stuff uses their info.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
mudawg

Quote:
When I had mine replaced I had bought mounting plates too, but the mechanic showed me how they couldn't work and I saw them side-by-side. He explained that the design of the strut with a rotating shaft made the bearing unnecessary. Evidently they changed the design starting in '04. The problem is, Monroe still shows it wrong, and everybody selling this stuff uses their info.
so did you not replace yours then? will I be able to see if they need to be replaced pretty easily? my local napa has them in stock so I was thinking about playing it by ear during the installation.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

No, there was apparently no need to replace them. They're still in there.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
mudawg

took about an hour each side and I had to replace my strut bar link on passenger side. It was wasted after about 10k..... pretty easy job compared to other vehicles I have done/seen
Old 11-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #12
BandDirector
BandDirector is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2002 SC2

Quote:
Just got back from a 1300 mile Thanksgiving trip and I've developed a nasty creak when I turn L. Everything's fine when turning R and going straight down the road, so I'm thinking it's the strut mount.

My question is, WHICH design is the Monroe replacement correct for? Is it one WITHOUT the bearing for the '02-'03's or is it WITH the bearing for my '04 Vue. Advance has them for $38.99, but I need to know if the Monroe part # 904914 is what I'm looking for?

Here's the link:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-1

I'd like to get this taken care of before I go back to work this week.

TIA!
BandDirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
DavidBo
DavidBo will become famous soon enough

2002 VUE 2.2L

According to Monroe's website, the part number for the mount is 904919. That's what I ordered and it worked fine for me.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #14
BandDirector

2004 VUE 2.2L
2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
According to Monroe's website, the part number for the mount is 904919. That's what I ordered and it worked fine for me.
What year is your Vue? According to the above post, there's an '02-'03 design and then there's a design for the '04-up...mine's an '04, so I wanted to make sure it'll work for me before I go taking everything apart and then not have the right part.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandDirector View Post
What year is your Vue? According to the above post, there's an '02-'03 design and then there's a design for the '04-up...mine's an '04, so I wanted to make sure it'll work for me before I go taking everything apart and then not have the right part.
904919 is the part that you will need for your '04
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #16
BandDirector

2004 VUE 2.2L
2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_dude190 View Post
904919 is the part that you will need for your '04
Ordered a pair this evening....Advance's website was offering 20% off, so I only paid $31 for each mount and will pick them up at the store tomorrow.

These things are still safe to drive on even when they're making noise, right? I may not get around to replacing it for another week or 2.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #17
BandDirector

2004 VUE 2.2L
2002 SC2

Tried to go after it this morning...but no score

Got the strut assembly out easily, spring compressed, but couldn't get the screw off the top of the strut to get the mount off. After trying for about an hour, gave up and put it all back together. I don't have air tools, but I have a friend who does, so I'll try again another day at his house....frustrating day...
Old 12-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #18
jimgar
jimgar is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I had to buy a strut removal tool from my local Napa store.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=320504003550
jimgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #19
mudawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandDirector View Post
Tried to go after it this morning...but no score

Got the strut assembly out easily, spring compressed, but couldn't get the screw off the top of the strut to get the mount off. After trying for about an hour, gave up and put it all back together. I don't have air tools, but I have a friend who does, so I'll try again another day at his house....frustrating day...
was the strut spining so you couldnt get the nut off? Mine kept turning so I used vice grips to hold it, the air tools did help though
Old 12-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
jimgar
jimgar is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Yes the strut kept spinning. This is where that tool helped. I was able to remove it with the tool and a wrench while someone held the strut in place.
jimgar is offline   Reply With Quote