SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #21
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 605
 
Default Re: Cutting access port for fuel pump. Yes? No?

That's right! Check the owner's manual as spark plug service is every 25k (or 30K) miles. You may be able to extend that with different plugs.

Worn plugs seem to put the coil packs under a lot of stress so might be a cause for faltering coilpacks. Not sure.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2020, 01:14 AM   #22
ProOpel
Member
ProOpel is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: AL
Posts: 88
Default Re: Cutting access port for fuel pump. Yes? No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
That's right! Check the owner's manual as spark plug service is every 25k (or 30K) miles. You may be able to extend that with different plugs.

Worn plugs seem to put the coil packs under a lot of stress so might be a cause for faltering coilpacks. Not sure.
I replaced the spark plugs. As Eric mentioned how his were, mine too were pretty much destroyed. Unfortunately, putting new plugs didn't solve the problem.

The code I'm getting is PO420 which points at the catalytic converter. I've got two o2 sensors I need to install first and see if this clears the issue.

Otherwise I'm looking at replacing the cat or maybe the flex pipe which I read is notorious for breaking but since I'm in the south I don't think it should be bad but I'll see how it looks once I get under the car.

btw car currently has 147k miles
...
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
OPC body work (wip)

Last edited by ProOpel; 09-30-2020 at 01:23 AM.
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:20 AM   #23
ProOpel
Member
ProOpel is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: AL
Posts: 88
Default Re: Cutting access port for fuel pump. Yes? No?

If replacing the o2 sensors (assuming the flex pipe is also good) doesn't fix the problem do you think this exhaust manifold would fit my engine?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331787482337?ul_noapp=true

It's a cat 200. Since I'm looking at improving hp this would be a perfect time to upgrade the stock unit. The ad states it's compatible with the Z18XER...
...
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
OPC body work (wip)
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:24 PM   #24
Astra08
Member
Astra08 is on a distinguished road
 
Astra08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 166

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Cutting access port for fuel pump. Yes? No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProOpel View Post
If replacing the o2 sensors (assuming the flex pipe is also good) doesn't fix the problem do you think this exhaust manifold would fit my engine?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331787482337?ul_noapp=true

It's a cat 200. Since I'm looking at improving hp this would be a perfect time to upgrade the stock unit. The ad states it's compatible with the Z18XER...


Interesting, I just started a thread about that. Looks like a nice piece for the $$.
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #25
ProOpel
Member
ProOpel is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: AL
Posts: 88
Default Re: Cutting access port for fuel pump. Yes? No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra08 View Post
Interesting, I just started a thread about that. Looks like a nice piece for the $$.
Cool! Found a possible replacement? The one in the ad says it will give *18* hp. Not sure if it's believable, but it ought to improve response for sure.
...
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
OPC body work (wip)
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #26
Astra08
Member
Astra08 is on a distinguished road
 
Astra08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 166

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Cutting access port for fuel pump. Yes? No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProOpel View Post
Cool! Found a possible replacement? The one in the ad says it will give *18* hp. Not sure if it's believable, but it ought to improve response for sure.

No, not yet, just checking out some options. There is a pretty broad range on price for these, from less than $200 to over $600 for the Magnaflow units.
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:19 PM   #27
eric08
Junior Member
eric08 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 38

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Cutting access port for fuel pump. Yes? No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProOpel View Post
I replaced the spark plugs. As Eric mentioned how his were, mine too were pretty much destroyed. Unfortunately, putting new plugs didn't solve the problem.

The code I'm getting is PO420 which points at the catalytic converter. I've got two o2 sensors I need to install first and see if this clears the issue.

Otherwise I'm looking at replacing the cat or maybe the flex pipe which I read is notorious for breaking but since I'm in the south I don't think it should be bad but I'll see how it looks once I get under the car.

btw car currently has 147k miles
Well, that would fit with the rest of my issues at the time. Running the plugs beyond the grave destroyed the catalytic converter and crapped so much ash downstream that the resonator on the end of the flex pipe was also clogged. Like I detached it and dumped a pile out of it.

Since you're going there anyway, remove the upstream O2 sensor from the cat and start her up. After doing that I drove it around the block and it ran like a top, albeit a very loud one.
eric08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #28
ProOpel
Member
ProOpel is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: AL
Posts: 88
Default Re: Cutting access port for fuel pump. Yes? No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra08 View Post
No, not yet, just checking out some options. There is a pretty broad range on price for these, from less than $200 to over $600 for the Magnaflow units.
I've seen the magnaflows, but they are pricey and not sure if they are performance or just standard. I tried to look elswhere for more options and there's very few unfortunately.
...
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
OPC body work (wip)
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:02 PM   #29
ProOpel
Member
ProOpel is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: AL
Posts: 88
Default Re: Cutting access port for fuel pump. Yes? No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric08 View Post
Well, that would fit with the rest of my issues at the time. Running the plugs beyond the grave destroyed the catalytic converter and crapped so much ash downstream that the resonator on the end of the flex pipe was also clogged. Like I detached it and dumped a pile out of it.

Since you're going there anyway, remove the upstream O2 sensor from the cat and start her up. After doing that I drove it around the block and it ran like a top, albeit a very loud one.
Great tip! I'll remove it and see if it at least improves performance until I can get to do that. But yeah, all the symptoms point to this.
...
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
OPC body work (wip)
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:52 AM   #30
ProOpel
Member
ProOpel is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: AL
Posts: 88
Default Re: Cutting access port for fuel pump. Yes? No?

Got the new manifold installed, but that didn't solve the issue altogether. The car runs better though. I'm gonna run some scan on it again today and see what the codes are. It sounds like it's the fuel filter in the fuel pump. Darn it.
...
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
OPC body work (wip)
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cutting fuel lines Tyson L-Series Tech 6 08-10-2019 07:30 AM
2002 L300 Fuel Pump EZ access XubSaturn L-Series General 7 01-29-2013 04:03 PM
what 2 ports on the diagnostic port connect to run fuel pump 94503 S-Series Tech 2 09-29-2007 12:45 PM
cutting the fuel pump circuit paulygon S-Series General 4 09-29-2005 02:49 PM
How do I access fuel filter in L300? greenworks L-Series Tech 1 01-07-2005 10:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 AM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.