SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 11-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
rileygsp
rileygsp is on a distinguished road

Default Thermostat housing leaking

'95 Saturn SL1. I think I created a pretty big headache for myself. While reinstalling the left bolt on the thermostat housing which is in a very tight space with the A/C in the way I think I messed up the threads in the hole. There is a chance it is the threads on the bolt but I think it is the threads in the actual hole itself. I tried tightening it enough hoping I would never have to mess with it again but it is now slowly leaking. I'm afraid if I try to tighten this bolt anymore it may break. Is there a way to rethread that bolt hole? Does anyone have any ideas?
rileygsp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
Sikh
Sikh is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Re: Thermostat housing leaking

Mine ended up leaking after I did my thermostat. Found out my stock clamp that was on there was broken, not me not tightening the left bolt enough.

I was in the same cramped spot you were in with one arm being cut up against the frame and the other barely being able to turn the wrench.

I took it off again, installed it, still leaked, opened it up, took off housing, took of clamp to look at hose, dad was looking at clamp and pointed out its broken.... I didnt even notice it until he pointed it out. Then took a steel one and put that one and its fixed.

Check this before you think its the threads because honestly it was hard enough to get to that bolt, tightening it too much in that much of space, you must of had enough room or strength because I got it tight and my hands got tired / arm because of being so cramped. Hope this helps.
Sikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

In addition tot he clamps, check the gasket and seating - it might be the source of the leak.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
Spaz
Advanced Member
Spaz will become famous soon enoughSpaz will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2

^^^^ Did you change the O-ring? If it's the old one it may be brittle and leaking. If it's a new O-ring, it may have popped out of the groove in the housing. I just changed my thermostat last week. I noticed that the O-ring pops out of the groove very easily. It might be pinched between the housing and the engine block.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote