SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
Ohio_Mike
Ohio_Mike is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Ion – Cylinder 3 Misfire

I recently purchased a 2007 Saturn Ion 3 with 2.2 liter engine. It has 125K miles on it. After it gets warmed up the idle gets rough and the engine light flashes. The code reader says it's a cylinder 3 misfire.

I replaced all four spark plugs and all four coils. It didn’t help. Any ideas?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ohio_Mike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ohio_Mike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ohio_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #2
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: 2007 Ion – Cylinder 3 Misfire

Try swapping another injector with that cylinder and see if the misfire moves. You may want to check compression first before doing that though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
Ohio_Mike

I just replaced the fuel injector for cylinder #3 with a brand new one. Same problem.

And the idle is rough. At a stop light I need to press on the accelerator a little bit to keep the engine from dying.

I'll do a compression test next.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ohio_Mike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-17-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
Ohio_Mike

Update:

So I replaced the plugs, coils, and the #3 fuel injector. No improvement.

And then it dawned on me that the problem started right after my son installed a new air filter. When he installed it, he disconnected the air intake hose from the air cleaner housing, and didn’t properly re-connect it – air was being suck in at the junction! So I properly secured the air intake hose to the air cleaner housing and the problem went away. Here is a pic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pa1ozzdj6...20Ion.jpg?dl=0

Two lessons learned:

1. If an engine code appears, does it correlate with something you did to the car?

2. A code can steer you in the wrong direction. Just because a code says you have a misfire doesn’t necessarily mean there’s something wrong with the fuel or ignition system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

3. Review anything that someone else did and never assume it was completed. If you haven't done so, bring this oversight up to your son so he knows the consequences of his actions. He may remember this in the future when he maintains his own car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #6
Ohio_Mike

False alarm. After the engine heated up, the problem came back... rough idle and cylinder #3 misfire.

Back to square one.

Any ideas?

Will be doing a compression check soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
Ohio_Mike

Update:

I did a compression test. Results:

Cylinder #1: 178 lbs/in˛
Cylinder #2: 174 lbs/in˛
Cylinder #3: 60 lbs/in˛
Cylinder #4: 178 lbs/in˛

I then squirted some oil into Cylinder #3 and redid it:

Cylinder #3: 178 lbs/in˛

From what I've read these results would indicate piston rings in cylinder #3 are bad.

BUT...

1) It doesn't burn oil.
2) There is no black smoke in the exhaust.
3) Every now and then there will be white smoke in the exhaust.

So is it possible the head is cracked, or the head gasket is bad, and the oil I added to cylinder #3 temporarily sealed it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2019, 03:22 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

White smoke usually means humidity turned to steam since water vapor isn't combustible but will turn to steam when ignited in cylinders. Steam exhausts and exits tailpipes when temps and humidity are just right too see it coming from the tailpipe. Blue smoke usually means oil being consumed and burned. Black tends to be excessively rich fuel mixtures. If the cylinder head cracked, there should be oil in coolant and coolant in oil. Coolant would turn dark. The oil dipstick should have coolant droplets since oil and coolant doesn't mix. Adding oil resulting in raising compression does suggest worn piston rings.

When oil raised compression in cylinder #3, did the engine idle smoothly right after starting up then go back to rough idling?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #9
Ohio_Mike

Thanks for the reply. It would really suck if it's a bad piston/cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
When oil raised compression in cylinder #3, did the engine idle smoothly right after starting up then go back to rough idling?
I reinstalled the coils and plugs and started it up. It started up fine. A huge puff of white smoke came out of the exhaust immediately after I started it. Was that because I put oil in the cylinder?

I'll check the oil and coolant.

I just took off the valve cover. I didn't see anything that was obviously wrong. Is there anything I can do at this point before removing the cylinder head? Is there a way to check if a valve spring (or valve guide) is weak or broken?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2019, 06:20 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As you know, there's humidity in air and this condenses into moisture in engine oil as the engine cools overnight. On startup, oil takes awhile before warming up. When oil gets up to operating temperatures, any moisture boils out. Cold engine startups in colder weather usually creates immediate steam as seen as white exhaust. Every engine creates steam in cold weather. The exhaust system retains moisture and adds to steam creation as the engine/exhaust system heats up. Oil burning usually creates blue smoke.

If the engine fires up fine after making some repairs, leave things alone for a few days as you use the car. Pay attention to how it runs compared to before problems started as you know how it ran before. Your knowledge of how your car runs is baseline info for comparison to anything unusual. As long as the engine starts and runs without any serious hiccups, enjoy whatever you did to return things back to normal.

Any real damage to upper cylinder mechanical parts would have shown up consistently no matter what you did either as significant running problems with noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!